The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 17, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
tburden

Prescription Eye Protection

As a relatively new semi-auto 9mm handgun owner who wears prescription glasses for distance, I'd welcome any recommendations or experiences about eye protection for the range. My normal polycarbonate specs certainly won't cut it, but covering them with goggles just seems hokey. What do you other eyeglass wearers use for protection?

Also, has anyone used MIL-PRF-31013 prescription lenses? (That's the military spec for anyone interested)
Old April 17, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
dgludwig

I guess I'm "hokey". Remington and others market safety glasses that are made to be worn over prescription eyeglasses. I use them and have found them to be relatively comfortable-though, of course, not as comfortable as corrected shooting glasses. I have used them (corrected lenses made for shooting) in the past but the economic drawback is that every time your prescription changes, you need to buy a new pair to accomodate the changes in your vision.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
BigJimP

I use DeCot Hy Wyd - out of Arizona... for my prescription lenses for shooting...

http://sportglasses.com/

You have to have your eye doctor ...get a couple of other measurements for them ...but its easy / no big deal. Once you buy the frames...then you can order different lenses as needed. They've specialized in shooters glasses for a long time.

If that is not in your budget....get your prescription ...go to Costco or someplace...and they can make up shooting glasses.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Dragline45

I usually wear contact lenses when I shoot and just throw on a pair of shooting glasses. If I am not wearing lenses I just throw on my regular eye glasses and use those for eye protection.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Que

I used my local optometrist. I am shortsighted and have a dead minimal prescription. My opthamologist wonders why I bother. I got some relatively inexpensive aviator frames and had appropriate lightly yellow tinted lenses installed. I think I might have paid $120. Well worth the money, every penny.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Technosavant

Every couple times I order new glasses I order up a set of safety glasses to the same prescription... usually with the UV-activated tinting so I don't go blind in the sunlight. Any shop that sells glasses should be able to have a set made; I get mine at Walmart optical.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
CrossIL

I've used Wiley-x brand and they're great! They're wildly available, I got mine from optics planet. Search them for testimonials off them surviving IED'S in the military.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
brazosdave

I do the same thing that a previous poster mentioned, I use some of the over the eyeglass safety glasses. They are cheap! I never used to use safety glasses, but especially shooting b.p. like I do, there are quite a few little odds and ends that end up flying around( pieces of cap, etc.) These also make it a little nicer to see the target with the tint on em, so I err on the side of caution now.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
LED

Are you near or farsighted?

If you don't like fitovers, there is a way around it. If you wear Rx+, try using reading glasses that give you the best picture of the front sight. If you wear Rx-, try plain goggles, because the target does not have to appear very sharp - the front sight does. Of course there are limitations to these techniques depending on your particular eyesight and shooting interest (bullseye or tactical or something else) You will know when you try.
Old April 19, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I have prescription shooting glasses that are safety glasses in yellow, amber and smoke depending on what the conditions are where I will be shooting. They are ground so that the focal point is 30" from my nose, the average distance of a long gun or handgun front sight. It makes a big difference in how well I shoot.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 19, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
2ndsojourn

I'm hokey too. I had a few pairs of 'over-the glasses' safety glasses in the garage and basement workshops that keep my Rx glasses from getting nicked up so I just got another pair from Home Despot for the range.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:31 PM   #12
wogpotter

Check out industrial safety sellers (U.S Safety comes to mind, but there are others) they have been making & selling prescription eyewear thats also safety equipment for decades at usually better than custom prices.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Death from Afar

What type of Wiley x can you wear over prescription glasses?

Tags
eye protection , mil-prf-30113