The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2005, 01:39 AM   #1
Twycross

A couple chamber-related questions

I am considering taking up reloading for my .40 S&W but there are a few questions that I would like to know the answers to before I commit any money into it. So could you guys help me out?

Q.1- Does the Taurus 24/7 have a fully supported chamber?

Q.2- Is there a way to check and see for yourself whether a gun has a fully supported chamber (what would I be looking for to indicate the presence or absence of such)?

Q.3- If a gun's chamber is not fully supported, but only new brass is used in the reloads, is it still a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 27, 2005, 03:42 AM   #2
mtnboomer

#1) I don't know.

#2) Remove the barrel and drop a round into the chamber end. If it goes all the way up to the extractor cut without any of the case showing, it's fully supported.

#3) If non-fully supported chambers were a problem - they wouldn't make them!

The Colt 1911A1 .45 acp does not have a fully supported chamber and has been in service for nearly 100 years without a problem. Fully supported chambers are more important on higher pressure cartridges like the .40 S&W, but are not always necessary unless you are using hot handloads.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 27, 2005, 04:55 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

millions more......

I have made a bit of 40, and I have a few suggestions.
They all center around ensuring NO bullet setback.

Forget the chamber thingie.

Crimp alone WILL NOT secure a bullet; case neck tension (that is, the ID of the case vs the OD of the bullet) does.
Make sure the case is tightly sized, and minimal flare is applied to the mouth.

Use bullets that measure at least .400".

DO NOT over-crimp, as this can release the case tension slightly; just remove any flare and gently move the case mouth into the bullet side.

Discard ANY suspect cases; false economy to try to save every marginal case.

Alliant Power Pistol is extremely 'forgiving' in the 40, and provides (normally) great accuracy and velocities.

I got more.........
Old July 27, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Dave R

More info on question 3...

I have a real-world example for you. I reload for my Kel-Tec P-3AT, a pocket pistol with an unsupported chamber. As I was working up loads for it, I noticed that, as I approached maximum loads, I was seeing a significant bulge in the cases where they were not supported. That's the big danger sign. A hot load, or even a milder load reloaded in a case that has been stretched that much--could rupture the case and spew fire and fragments into the gun or worse.

So I tossed all the cases that showed bulging, and backed off the loads slightly. Now cases come out looking normal, and I feel free to re-use them.

Just my experience.