The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1
militant

Got a Keltec PF9

I just got a Keltec pf9 for
My birthday. It is a great little gun. It fits perfect in my pocket and carries 7 rounds of corbon 125gr +p. what do you guys think about the Keltec
Old August 30, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I like mine!
Old August 31, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
X_shooter

Love it. Shoot often and get used to that snap.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
PT-92

Congrats!

I opted for the P11 but seriously considered the PF9--I now have several KT guns (including a couple of Sub2K's I shot yesterday) and they are great little value for the $ guns that come highly recommended. Not to go off on a tangent, but the value for the $ KT theme seems to have gone madly awry of late with their KSG but I guess it's all about supply and demand at this point.

-Cheers
Old August 31, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Rmart30

I had a P11 and sold it off and ended up with a PF9 ..... its definitely not a range gun. Got a good snap to it... Size and feel to me is great.
Old August 31, 2012, 09:30 PM   #6
PT-92

Indeed, IMO the compact 9mm's serve one purpose and one purpose only, namely, SD. I shoot my P11 only so much as to ensure that I am both competent with it as well as to verify that my carry ammo reliably cycles (you will definitely feel +P loads). If I used it as a range gun I would have to wear a shooting glove to be comfortable (hate to admit that but I'm just sayin' ).
Old August 31, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
militant

I havent gotten a chance to fire it yet. I'm carrying Corbon 125 gr hp +P. I was going to get a LCP but I am personally not a fan of the .380 round (kinda spendy for what it is) I'm using it for the summertime. My G22 doesn't fit in my pockets.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Sparks1957

I have the P-11 instead, and have really come to like it a lot as a SD gun. Not exactly fun to shoot a lot, but I put 2-3 mags through on every range trip. I am confident it will work if I ever need it.

Kel-tecs are pretty decent guns, and the price is right. Good for folks on a tight budget or if you want something that you don't care if the finish gets roughed up.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

not a fan of them myself, but i do have a pf9 still (too much invested in it to ever get back out). size is nice. recoil is awful. trigger is awful. build quality is terrible. materials are terrible. trigger can be improved with this swap.

http://www.northwoodcomp.com/
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 1, 2012, 01:31 PM   #10
militant

I disagree. The build quality of the pf9 is up to par with a glock in my opinion. The trigger is a double action. It's not a tack driver: it's a sd gun. It fits in your pocket. I can hit what I would need to with it. It's snappy, but that's the price you pay for the 9mm.
Old September 1, 2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Master Blaster 2

I have a PF-9 great gun however i feel the grip is too thin for my big hands. I prefer my SCCY Gen 2 9MM
Old September 1, 2012, 07:27 PM   #12
graysmoke

I own the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm and it performs awesome...I've shot all types of ammo brands through it, and never a problem.
I own a couple big name compacts, but the Kel-Tec is my everyday conceal carry.
Made in USA ....
Old September 1, 2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Gary L. Griffiths

Had one, but got rid of it because after returning it to the factory and waiting 6 weeks, it still wasn't totally reliable. Also, did not like the l-o-n-g trigger-pull. When I stumbled on to a smokin' deal on a Walther .40 PPS, I traded the K-T and never looked back.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 2, 2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Pukindog12

I had a PF9. Was a good gun once I got it running reliably. Then I stumbled upon a Kahr CW9. Kind of ironic since I was looking for a 2nd PF9. Since I took possession of a 2nd CW9 the PF9 was sold within a week. But I'd buy another if the price was right.