The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 15, 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
erndog105

Recording Requirement

I have a CCR and have a question regarding exactly what to record in the log book. I have modern guns, antique guns purchased prior to getting the CCR and some antiques purchased from face to face transactions after getting the CCR and some acquired via mail exchanging licenses between parties. Can someone tell me which of these transactions need to be in the log book. thanks.
Is it only antiques, only those acquired via mail where the license exchange was required and does it require those face to face transactions? What about modern guns?
Old October 16, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
emcon5

My understanding is any C&R acquired from any source after you got you license. I don't think the antiques stop being C&R just because they are antiques, so include them.

Modern guns do not need to be recorded.

They way I look at it, you will never get in trouble from ATF for putting more information than necessary in your book.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Chipperman

Any gun that qualifies for C&R status acquired while you have the license should be logged. This is regardless of HOW the gun is acquired.
Old October 16, 2009, 01:41 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

An antique is defined in the law as any firearm made before Jan. 1, 1899. An antique is outside the law, requires no paperwork, and no license to buy or sell. A C&R is a firearm other than an antique which, for one reason or another, has been determined by the Attorney General (previously by the Secretary of the Treasury)* to be a collector's item and not likely to be used in crime. At this time, that includes any firearm made more than fifty years prior to the current date, as well as any firearm made after that that the AG has determined to be a C&R.

Note that some NFA firearms (e.g., a WWII STEN) are C&R items, and interstate transfer to a C&R licensee requires the transfer form and tax, but no Class 3 dealer.

Jim

*That is the way the law reads. In actuality, the decision making has been delegated to BATFE.

JK
Old October 18, 2009, 09:41 AM   #5
nolmsted

I was under the understanding that I should keep a record of personal guns bought without use of my c&r and a bound book with c&r purchases with my license.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
BobbyT

I don't know what a "CCR" is supposed to be, but the C&R rules are very clear.

You keep a record of the C&R firearms you acquire after getting your C&R, and any you sell, period.

Nothing you owned prior, and nothing modern, regardless of how you acquire them.
Old October 20, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Several of you are throwing around the term "modern" as if modern firearms cannot be C&R. Be aware that not all C&R firearms are older than fifty years old. All you have to do is look through the ATF C&R list to find numerous examples of firearms that are far younger than fifty years old.

for example:
All Colt Woodsman (inc. Challenger, Huntsman, etc) .22lr pistols are C&R (last manufactured in 1978)
CZ82 .380Mak pistols are C&R (and they were first manufactured in 1982)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 21, 2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Chipperman

Quote:
Nothing you owned prior, and nothing modern, regardless of how you acquire them.
To clarify what BobbyT wrote here, you are not required to log C&R guns you acquired prior to having the license, but it is ok to log them if you wish.
Old October 21, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
cougar gt-e

Quote:
Several of you are throwing around the term "modern" as if modern firearms cannot be C&R. Be aware that not all C&R firearms are older than fifty years old. All you have to do is look through the ATF C&R list to find numerous examples of firearms that are far younger than fifty years old.

for example:
All Colt Woodsman (inc. Challenger, Huntsman, etc) .22lr pistols are C&R (last manufactured in 1978)
CZ82 .380Mak pistols are C&R (and they were first manufactured in 1982)
Exactly! I just read the C&R update lists and the BREN TEN is a C&R gun!

who knew?