The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

View Poll Results: Should we lock old threads or SOLD items in The Gun Show?
Lock Them 6 85.71%
Leave Them Open 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
taylorce1

The Gun Show Please Lock Old or Sold Items!

Love this part of the forum and have got some great deals on it but I'm tired of seeing old post brought back to the front. Some of them that I've seen recently have been 6 months old if not older. Can we get for sale items that haven't had a new post in 30 days or if the item has been Sold locked?

It sure would be nice so we didn't have to sort through so much trash to find things we are looking for. Once they are posted sold not sold pending funds lock them. The pople involved can post on the exchange in the Feedback forum or we could start a good and bad guys list with a sticky in the area we got the item from, to allow for details on the transaction.
Old January 6, 2009, 03:17 PM   #2
bclark1

Yea, but...

Deals can fall through. You never know if somebody's still got something sitting around though. Stranger things happen. It also allows communication, feedback, etc. I don't think it's that big a deal. So I voted against locking old or sold. The benefit I see to locking the posts though is freezing the transaction for history. Privacy interests are minimal in hiding the price of the sale once the sale itself is visible. I personally think the value of being able to readily access market value of a particular item significantly outweighs any personal interest in removing the price post-sale.
Old January 6, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
rjrivero

It would be nice, but it would be A LOT of work for the Mods/Admin.

Are you volunteering for the job?
Old January 6, 2009, 04:13 PM   #4
taylorce1

I think you missed the point of my rant. Even if the thread is locked you can still contact the OP by use of a private message to see if it is available. If the OP says the item is "SOLD" then he has received payment and the transaction is complete. "SPF" does not count as a completed transaction. I never said anything about deleting the price as well. The post should be there for research if someone wants to search.

We have a Feedback section that people can use to post about their experiences good or bad there. Or we can start a "Good Guys" "Bad Guys" list and have it as a sticky at the top of the page just like the rules.

Quote:
look at the original date of the post guys, and then use some common sense.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ok+at+the+date
Quote:
Might want to look at the date it was posted. Long shot but more than likely sold.
Quote:
sorry first post and i didnt look at the date,its 2yrs old. i aws just excited to find a ak in mi for sale
Even I forget at times when I've sold an item and people bring it to the front when I sell things because I forget to mark it sold. It would be nice if the OP could lock the post or request it be locked.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
bclark1

Oh I was just saying in terms of the OP removing information after a sale. That's more of a policy than a software issue though. As far as allowing the seller to lock their own threads, I have no problem with that. I agree that the mods shouldn't bear that burden though, and indeed letting any person other than the seller decide when a thread is "dead" would be iffy.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

As far as locking all Gun Show threads that are X days old, that can't happen - at least not automatically without adding a hack to the software. There is no provision for that function in vbulletin - I certainly wish there was, it would be very convenient, but there isn't.

Having participating members lock their own threads is a good idea and we have allowed that for quite a while at THR. Sellers will lock their threads after a sale about 20% of the time, not very good use of the feature, but it helps a little.

I will implement member locking of their own Gun Show threads here and see if it actually gets used.

BTW, polls serve no purpose here in the Suggestion/Tech Support forum. Only reasonably stated arguments will sway the Staff on suggestions, and not enough members read these threads to make them worthwhile even if we did take notice of the poll - I've closed it.
Old January 7, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
BTW, polls serve no purpose here in the Suggestion/Tech Support forum. Only reasonably stated arguments will sway the Staff on suggestions, and not enough members read these threads to make them worthwhile even if we did take notice of the poll - I've closed it.
I didn't think the poll would do any good but they are fun somtimes! Besides I know it was a bit of a rant on my part. Thank you for allowing us to lock our posts when the items sell.