The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2002, 12:21 PM   #1
Atc1man

New Pistolsafe?

Well...the wife and I are planning to start foster care early next year. We're going to need at least one quick access safe for my pistols. I'm looking for suggestions on a small safe that will hold at least two pistols, some ammo, and maybe a few other small items (wallet, cellphone, flashlight, etc). My requirement is that the safe can be bolted to something (wall, headboard...whatever), and that the safe has two forms of access (Key and ??).
Suggestions, as well as sources welcome.
Thanks!
Old October 6, 2002, 01:24 PM   #2
DougB

I have a GunVault that I like well. It has pushbutton code (easy to do without looking) as well as a backup key lock. They make a two-gun version though it may be small for two guns with ammo and other valuables.

Doug
Old October 6, 2002, 02:19 PM   #3
sm

Simplex

Mine will hold two if need, 5 button system, and can be bolted to furniture, bedframe...etc.

No batteries, no keys--combination of button sequence can be changed by owner. Some people have "bolted" in vehicle trunks.

Various model and prices, couldn't find a link , but well made and have had no problems in the 10 years I've owned mine.

Closest link I can find is here-http://www.deansafe.com/pistol_safes_index.html

mine is like the Quicksafe, and the Topdraw shown. purchased from a dealer and al mine says is Simplex

best
Old October 7, 2002, 08:53 PM   #4
CAP1

STACK-ON has some new security boxes out that are very affordable. The 3 I saw were 29, 49, and $69 respectively. Very strong box. Opens with key, or electronic keypad. Works great in a closet and it comes with hardware to bolt it to a shelf and the wall studs.
I ended up with the mid-range unit. I need to go back and get the larger unit too. They are called Stack-On Strong Box Safes.
Hope this helps. I haven't seen them at wallyworld yet. I got them at a local gun store.
Old October 7, 2002, 09:16 PM   #5
DerRottweiler

Atc1man

Take a look at this site www.handgunsafe.com these look plenty sturdy and don't have batteries that can fail at the most critical moment!
Old October 7, 2002, 11:45 PM   #6
MilesTeg

I have been looking at getting one of these and mounting it in the closet right next to the bed.

http://www.gunlocker.com/specs.htm
Old October 8, 2002, 10:05 AM   #7
yzguy

I have the Cannon Quicksafe Gun Box from this site:
http://www.deansafe.com/pistol.html#Model%20ES411

it has the simplex lock (no batteries or keys). It holds my 1911 and a few spare mags, could hold 2 1911's but not much room left after that.
Old October 10, 2002, 04:01 AM   #8
Dex Sinister

I use one of these attached to my headboard, and in the trunk of my car (useful if I have to go into, say, the court building, where my CCW has been nullified, or the doctor's office) At ~$90 they have the advantage of being vaguely affordable, while being pretty damn sturdy. They'll hold several full-sized 1911's, plus other assorted stuff.

[I've also seen them relabeled with gun brands for 2x the price.]

Brinks Drawer Safe @ Home Depot

Dex
Old October 10, 2002, 01:19 PM   #9
Nanaimo Barr

those Brinks ones are half the price (or less) than "gun safes", you can buy them at wally world or costco for $60.00 or so. a friend has 3 of them (car, truck, bedroom).