The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 1, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Jake27

First rifle

I'm buying my first rifle. I'm not new to guns I've grown up around guns and I know how to shoot and hunt. I've been doing it sence I was 6 but I'm buying MY first rifle. I've chosen the ruger 10/22.
I'm wondering what I will need. Obviously I need the ruger ammo and a scope but I feel like I'm missing sooooo much. I need a good gun cleaning kit. Is there a good one I could get from walmart?
I'm wanting pistol grips is there any chance I could find a decent stock with pistol grips on it on amazon or cheaper than dirt for under $60? If you know o one will you post a link
Old December 1, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
hardworker

Ruger doesn't make ammo, and unless you really want it I'd skip the scope as well and use iron sights.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Jake27

I didn't mean ruger ammo I just meant .22 ammo
Old December 1, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Jake27

Ruger, ammo, and scope
Old December 1, 2012, 05:07 PM   #5
KMAX

I would suggest a case of some sort to store it in and maybe some extra magazines. If you buy extra magazines I would recommend factory mags for reliability sake. I have heard the Ruger 25 round mag is good if you want higher capacity for plinking. I have a couple of Butler Creek 25 round mags. One only works if loaded to a max of 20 rounds. The Ruger mags are a little more expensive, but probably worth it. For hunting I would carry one or two extra 10 round mags. I have a scope on mine and like it for smaller targets (3/4" @ 50 yds).

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 1, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Metal god

Stocks , I have the butler creek one in stainless
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Ruger-Stri...I38DKLS2L26W1Q

http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-R...ds=10+22+stock

If you get any 25 round mags make sure you buy the ones made by Ruger they are by far the best
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/238...-polymer-black

Any cleaning kit should work fine . Just make sure it is made for the smaller calibers or the rod will not fit down the barrel

Not sure how much your looking to spend on a scope but here is a couple lower cost ones . For a 22 I recommend you get a scope with an Adjustable Objective.
http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-3-9x32...+22+mag+3-9x32

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119...-reticle-matte

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 1, 2012, 09:20 PM   #7
PatientWolf

I'm in the process of fitting up a 10/22 right now also. Just picked up a std barrel SS models with a synthetic stock. So far my fit-up includes: a picatinny style raised see-through scope mount (about $11 on Amazon) which allows me to still use my iron sights; a Tasco 3x9 x 40 scope for $37 (from Walmart which seems bright and clear); and 1 (so far) BX 25 extended magazine.

I plan to upgrade the stock at some point because I want a sling, but probably won't start with a pistol grip (though you never know).

For a stock you might also look at Ebay. They always have several listed, some pretty cheap.

Last edited by PatientWolf; December 1, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:01 PM   #8
djcantr

Don't store it in a case. The foam can trap moisture and rust it. Invest in a gun safe. For mags, I like the Ruger BX-25s. They hold 25 rounds and have functioned perfectly for me. For ammo, I like the Federal AutoMatch. Bulk ammo that's cheap but has great accuracy. It will take a little time to figure out what your rifle likes. My 10/22 doesn't wear a scope. I shoot irons with it. I have a scoped bolt rifle I use for very good rimfire accuracy. The 10/22 is a whole lot of fun.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:41 PM   #9
mxsailor803

These rifles are awesome (i have 6 lol). If you get really curious, check out rimfirecentral.com and they have sub-forums for just the 10/22 in all kinds of configurations. As for ammo, I like CCI STD velocity target. Reasonable for target ammo. Mags, any actual Ruger mag is your best bet. I've got 4 of the BX-25's and have had 0 issues with them. And don't knock the overall accuracy of these rifles in stock configuration. If you can't decide on first mods, take it to the range with the open sights and shoot it. Shoot it, enjoy it, then decide on mods. I've got one from the outside, it looks completely stock. Internals are no where near stock. It has KIDD trigger setup, firing pin, and extractor. Were these necessary? Nope!! Fair warning, once you start modifying these little rifles you won't want to stop lol.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Achilles11B

As for the gun itself, just get good with irons. That's all you need. Maybe you want a scope for whatever reason later, and that's fine, but get good with irons.

As for a cleaning kit, all you really need is some q-tips, an old shirt, and a dental tool is a good start. Pick up some patches and a cleaning rod or a bore snake for the barrel and some good oil (Break-Free, CLP, etc) and you'll be good to go.

Maybe, down the line, you'll want to pick up a range bag to haul mags, ammo, targets, a Gerber (hint hint) and whatever else you want to take on range days.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Metal god

All you need is
Quote:
As for a cleaning kit, all you really need is some q-tips, an old shirt, and a dental tool is a good start.
Oh yea and you should get
Quote:
some patches and a cleaning rod or a bore snake for the barrel
Darn I forgot
Quote:
get some good oil (Break-Free, CLP, etc) and you'll be good to go.
Just get a cheap 10 to 20 dollar cleaning kit for the smaller cals . Some guys say they never clean there 10/22s they have 5 , 10 thousand rounds through them not one problem yea right

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .