The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2010, 01:48 PM   #26
TXGunNut

I was casting some 405 gr .45 bullets for a .45-90. 100 degree heat finally forced my indoors.
Haven't decided on a mould for my 30-30 but am definitely getting some good ideas here.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 18, 2010, 02:16 PM   #27
mkl

I had a "tuna can" of 7.62x25 cartridges I bought for my CZ-52 that had bad primers due to improper storage I guess. About a 50% failure rate.

Pulled the bullets (85 grain) and reloaded them into my 30-30 at a velocity of about 2100 fps. Makes a super nice plinker for rabbits, etc. out of my Marlin or my H&R single shot.

Thought I'd mention in case you happen to have some of the bad 7.62x25 pistol cartridges laying around. Load with Unique or similar powder.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:56 AM   #28
isanchez2008

Quote:
Quote:
I like the Lee 150 or 170 gr. 30 cal. gas check mold. For plinking or small game loads I just use a double TL no GC bullet with 8 grs. of SR-4756.

Doesn't sound like a correct powder charge, I'm thinking typo

No, that looks correct for a plinking load with no gas check. According to QuickLOAD you get about 15K PSI and 1250 fps with that data, which is what one would expect for a plinker/short range rabbit load.
I stand corrected.
Old July 19, 2010, 12:16 PM   #29
Crosshair

Quote:
I stand corrected.
Nothing wrong with double checking such things.
Old July 25, 2010, 09:27 PM   #30
TXGunNut

Bought dies and bullets today, first new cartridge in years. Cases deprimed and in the cleaner.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:23 PM   #31
salvadore

The first rifle I reloaded for was a used 30wcf 94 back in 1968. Used one of those lee loaders that you use a mallet to run. As I remember it was to save money. Killed...overkilled a lot of jack rabbits and one coyote that summer and fall. Can't remember what happened to it but will have a brand new (to me) 32 spec. next week to work into a cast bullet gun. woo hoo!
Old July 25, 2010, 11:11 PM   #32
TXGunNut

I picked up jacketed bullets for now, still kicking around a mould choice. I deprimed about 50 once-fired cases and dropped them in the cleaner a little while ago. Have a few good powder choices so this could be fun. Thanks guys!
Good luck on the .32 Salvadore! I missed mine, great consolation prize tho.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:01 PM   #33
TXGunNut

So Many Toys, So Little Time

Finally took the plunge and loaded a few test rounds for my little thutty-thutty. Loaded 170 gr Hornady's over 35 grs of 748. Had more choices of powder on the shelf for this project than any I can recall. 748 has been on the shelf for awhile, should meter well once I settle on a load and seems to be a favorite in at least one loading manual. Wasn't going to load them this soon but I found myself resizing them for the third time today, guess I need to keep better records.
Only problem is I have three other rifles I'd like to shoot tomorrow as part of already ongoing projects. Could be a long day @ the range.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:40 PM   #34
misskimo

Reload, yeh! Im just getting started in reloading, I been shooting 55g bullets in mine, I like them, so bought a lees 50th kit for 100 bucks, .224 for my 22-250 , in 62g and 69 g ad planning on useing saboth casing for my 30-30 30-06 and 308 , should be fun to see what can be achieved.

T
Old August 15, 2010, 07:38 AM   #35
tkcomer

Now get some cheap lead bullets, put about 9grs of Unique in the case and have some low power fun with that gun. It makes a Win 94 into a fun 50 yard pop can shooter.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:09 AM   #36
TXGunNut

Been thinking about that, tk. res45 posted a cast bullet load earlier but I have Unique on the shelf. Cheap bullets will likely come from the wheel weights I've scavenged. No mould yet, too many other projects. Will make a note of the recipe, thanks.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:33 AM   #37
Jim243

Hmmmm, thanks for the thread TX, I don't load for the 30-30 but it's bigger brother the 35 Remington, have done only about 500 rounds because it's hard to find the Speer 180 grain flat nose bullets. You have given me an great idea about finding lighter bullets just for plinking.

Thanks again
Jim
Old August 15, 2010, 08:41 PM   #38
TXGunNut

Quite welcome, Jim. It's been an interesting experience. I fired my 30-30 loads today and had good results. I load 200 gr Remington CoreLokts in my recently acquired .35 Remington, fired it today as well. Once I figure out the hunting loads I'll try the loads tk and res45 shared with us. I'm considering casting bullets for one or both cartridges, may even do the GC loads. Not sure I'll load them hot enough to need the gc's tho.
Have you tried pistol bullets, Jim?
And to think I considered this project a silly idea.