The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2000, 10:31 PM   #26
M1A1John

My first post here, hello, I use 231 because I also have a 8lb keg, it works great for my 45 and 9mm, for the 357 I like slower powders like 2400 and such, of course when the 231 is all gone I am looking at that keg of Unique, but 8lbs of powder goes a long way on pistols
Old January 9, 2000, 11:34 PM   #27
alan

For 3 out of the 4 calibers you mentioned, I do not load for 357 mag, either Unique or Accurate #5, which is a little slower than Unique both work well. Of course, as others noted, there are a scad of others to play with
Old January 10, 2000, 08:58 PM   #28
plateshooter

Hey Slick,
I use Red Dot for 9mm, 38spec, 45ACP, and 44mag target loads. Works great for 12 ga target loads too. I think it's too fast for 357, I use Blue Dot for them. It's also great for 30-06 lead bullet loads. 13 gr with 150gr gc bullet gives you about 1800fps.
Pretty versatile stuff.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter
Old January 11, 2000, 08:02 AM   #29
WESHOOT2

I do not recommend titegroup for 40S&W; fired case examination suggest this powder is TOO FAST for 40 (regardless of bullet weight).

I stick with my original advice: Universal Clays.
Unique and Universal Clays have virtually the same burn rate, and you can actually substitute load data within +/-.1g.
Of course, UC is much cleaner, and meters much more smoothly and consistently than Unique.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

[This message has been edited by WESHOOT2 (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old January 11, 2000, 01:57 PM   #30
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Red Dot works well for all (in target velocity) but does get your gun kinda dirty over 200-300 rounds of continuous fire. AA#5 burns cleaner, but in all the recipies I've seen you use more of it to get the same results.

Not sure about loading for "carbines" but speer and others have load data JUST FOR rifles shooting pistol calibers.

Dr.Rob
Old January 11, 2000, 05:58 PM   #31
blades67

Blue Dot will result in compressed loads in 9mm, when you get near max. loads. Just to put another powder on your bench, try HS6. It will work well with everything but the .357 Magnum, and for that I suggest you try H110. I also like Universal Clays.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old January 12, 2000, 12:23 PM   #32
leapfrog

Since you also mention that you would want to produce an occasional hot load, I would recommend either VV N340 or AA5. Both are fine for target velocity and will give better velocity with reduced pressure, than Win 231 for instance, in the hot loads.
Old January 23, 2000, 02:40 AM   #33
rlgarman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slickpuppy:
If any of you could choose one powder for loading (to keep costs down) for target practice(accuracy) and the occasional hot load in the above calibers what would you use? Blue Dot, Unique? Others?[/quote]
With my limited experinece, I think U. Clays cannot be beat. It is clean and all that I have loaded seem to be very accurate. I have used it in .32 H&R mag. 38's, 357's 9mm. and 44 mag. No problems, no complaints.
Old January 23, 2000, 10:27 AM   #34
TZEAZAS

I am shooting 9mm and 380. Loads and have used both bullseye and W231. I like the W231 better as it is a little slower and cleaner burning.

My loads are for target shooting but not match loads and the W231 is perfect for all
the loads that I use. Plus it go's on sale here for $12.90 a pound. Can't beat the price or the product.

Shoot Straight
Old January 23, 2000, 12:44 PM   #35
sundog

slickpuppy, paul b. and steven camp give good advice about unique. i've been using it for thirty years. i think one reason it is so versatile is how long it's been around. given that there may be one or two other powders like aa5 and clays that will in time be used as much as unique, well, you choose. so as far as original question, i think i'll stay with unique. sundog

------------------
safety first
Old January 23, 2000, 02:52 PM   #36
Plainsman

Are you guys anit-Hodgdon? So many like W231, but not a single mention of HP-38!! They are basically the same powder!

I prefer HP-38 and bought so much I figure I have enough to load about 10,000 more rounds! I use it for .45 ACP and .44 mag/spl loads. It would work well for all you listed as well.

W231 or HP 38 seems the way to go!

Good luck!

------------------
Plainsman
[email protected]
Old January 23, 2000, 03:08 PM   #37
Mal H
Staff

Plainsman - we're not anti-Hodgdon, but it does look that way, doesn't it. I think it's probably because you'll find W231 more often than HP-38 and quite often on sale.

You're right that they are most likely exactly the same powder. Both are actually made by Primex. One batch is shipped to Win and another batch is shipped to Hodgdon. Both then package it and sell it.
Old January 23, 2000, 08:10 PM   #38
petej88

It's difficult to find one powder for all applications, because of major differences in case sizes, bullets, etc. For example, Universl works fantastic for the .40 but barely pushes a 357 SIG bullet to 1230 fps at maximum pressure, which is 100 - 150 fps slower than other magnum powders.

If I had to choose one powder that works best in the 9, 40, 45, and 357 SIG, I'd pick Power Pistol. It's my WAP replacement and it's one of the very few powders that can hit maximum velocity with all the above pistol calibers, as well as metering nicely. Depending on the caliber, it can have a healthy flash, although it is not a wide flash that would cause vision problems at night, at least from my experience. The flash should not be a problem with target or IPSC style shooting, etc.

Now if you also want one powder that supports shotguns, etc, then I'd go with Universal or Unique.
Old January 24, 2000, 01:52 PM   #39
sundog

plainsman, not anti-hodgdon at all. in fact i have favorite loads using hs6, hs7, h414, and h4831. two main reasons why unique is so popular is that 1) it's been around so long there is alot of good proven data, and 2) it works. in addition, unique works in a vast number of cast rifle loads as well as shotgun. is it the 'best' powder? only in some loads, if i had only one powder unique would be it. sundog

------------------
safety first
Old January 24, 2000, 11:12 PM   #40
Plainsman

NO problem guys! I was just trying to poke a little fun!

Thanks for the background on W231 and HP38 Mal!

I, too, tried UNIQUE for my first reloading powder in my .44 mag and .45 ACP. "Unique" was the key word, or should I say DIRTY! I did burn up the last of it, but WOW did it take a LOT of shooting just to burn a POUND! I then switched to HP 38 for a cleaner burn. I remember DUMPING CASES after using Unique and having unburnt powder falling out!

Lead and Unique make for messy guns and hands after a day at the range...Maybe Blackpowder isn't so dirty after all!

Thanks guys!

------------------
Plainsman
[email protected]