The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 24, 2015, 03:53 PM   #26
ThomasT

Saltydog I looked at Sako rifles on the website and then on gunbroker. Really nice rifles but above my pay grade. Or at least what I can justify. One 375 H&H was listed for $35,000. Nope I ain't gonna bid on that one.

If I were to not own any rifles now and just wanted one I might could see the $1500 and up for one of these. Thanks for mentioning them. I would have never thought to look at the Sako rifles. They are so nice I would probably be afraid to take them hunting.
Old November 24, 2015, 09:56 PM   #27
Saltydog235

You can buy a Sako A7 for under $1k, around $1100 -$1300 for the Roughtech. 85's can be had as low as $1300 new. You can find used ones in good shape for $800 or so.

By the time I put a trigger in most Remington's or similar, replace the crap factory stock and a few other things, I can just about buy the Sako.

That said, I like my 700, it's my go to but, that's because I spent a good bit to make it that way.
Old November 24, 2015, 10:58 PM   #28
coyotewsm

I think I'm probably going to go the Sako rought when I get ready to purchase. The other 2 I was looking at was the model 70 and the xbolt but both of them are up there around 800 might as well a little extra and get the Sako.
Old November 25, 2015, 12:12 AM   #29
Water-Man

Keep in mind the Tikka is made by Sako.
Old November 25, 2015, 11:58 AM   #30
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If your intentions are to spend big bucks on a production line rifle. Consider having your rifle custom built to your specifications & measurements. Lots of custom rifle makers with web sites having good reputations and happy customers as their references. Being close to the Holidays you might find a builder offering a hellava deal you can't refuse this time of year.
Old November 25, 2015, 05:48 PM   #31
ThomasT

Saltydog I was talking to one of my shooting buds last night. We were comparing what each had bought in the last few months.

He said he had bought a Sako Forrester in 22-250 at a pawn shop he spends a lot of money at and got it for $700 OTD. He told me the salesman said he got trouble for selling it that cheap. But I bet not. They are supposed to have a 300 percent markup so I bet they still at least doubled their money.

That was my point to the OP. There are deals to be had if you just look. I am just not impressed with the new plastic fantastic stuff being offered these days.
Old November 26, 2015, 03:31 AM   #32
skizzums

Mosin Nagant, find one with a good barrel, scope it, stock it and trigger it......mine is one and a quarter and under 500$ and can match most any 30-06 under 300 yards. Why not......its fun too. Abiet not a lightweight

A labor of extensive love, yes......but it was worth it, stock 100yards

Finished 100 yards.....worth every bit of unknown outcomes of every ciut I made on her

I know I am being a little tongue in check or even snarky as some call it. I just think you have countless options to reach and touch something at 300 that I think your choice in glass is likely more important in your choice of rifle if set on power of 30-06