The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 22, 2015, 08:32 PM   #1
the blur

Remington 750 jammed, lost a deer

Had an easy follow up shot. Rifle jammed. Deer trotted off. Just got the rifle back from Remington for warranty repair !! Still jams.

Tracked the deer 6 hours over 2 days. Did not recover.

Remington replaced the extractor, and some other parts....

This gun will become a range gun, or something else. Not suitable for hunting..
Old November 22, 2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

Sorry to hear - stinks. Yeah, not suitable for the field. Duly noted.

I use turnbolts for 90% of rifle hunting now. One shot, one kill. But yeah, you want a follow up available when you do need it.
Old November 23, 2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Mr. Hill

Yup I went from a jamming semi to a bolt gun, too.

If you want to stick with a semi, you might want to try a Browning BAR, I hear those are reliable rifles.
Old November 23, 2015, 05:12 AM   #4
Jack O'Conner

Sorry to hear about your loss. I suggest trade for a 7600.

Years ago, my boss hunted with a 742 in 6mm. No problems with jamming at all. At the time, I hunted with a 141 in 35 Remington which is a solid built slide action rifle from yesteryear.

Jack
Old November 23, 2015, 07:25 AM   #5
Mobuck

What caliber? I had a customer who had all sorts of problems with extraction on his Rem semi-auto in 270. Found out later(after much whining and complaining) the problem was self-generated by using hot reloads with 4831 powder.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:54 AM   #6
gman3

I have a 750 Carbine in 308. It eats most ammo like a hungry dog eating bacon. It has had problems with Hornady American Whitetail 150 grn BTSP Ammo. My 308 AR type rifle also jams about every 3 rounds with that Ammo.

I have noticed when re-sizing the cases from that ammo, some case have to be forced into the shell holder, leading me to believe that there is a quality control problem (AKA, its junk) with the extractor groove dimensions on their brass.

Winchester, Federal, Remington, WRA 68, Lake City brass, no problem, even with hot bolt gun loads.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Slamfire

I just conducted a Google search for Remington 750 jams. Lots and lots of owners reporting jams. I don't have one of these, and I don't think I want one either.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:53 PM   #8
jmr40

Even if someone made semi-autos or pumps that were somehow equally as reliable as bolt rifles I can't think of a single reason to choose one over a bolt gun.
Old November 24, 2015, 09:06 AM   #9
TnTnTn

What happened to the first shot?-yeah I have done that too. I have used an AR15 as my primary hunting rifle for the last 4 years. It's rugged, reliable, accurate, easily customized, and impervious to weather. Mine is in a 6.5mm variant. If you want a reliable .308 class semiauto there's the AR10-although heavy.
Old November 24, 2015, 09:09 AM   #10
gman3

They always work on the first shot. When hunting, that's usually the one that counts. A bad shot, or a shot on a running animal has nothing to do with the reliability of the rifle.

Not saying the OP did either, but how many folks have short stroked a bolt gun, had an extraction problem with one, an ammo problem, a feed issue etc. ? They (Rem 750) are good guns for what they are, but they do have their peculiarities.

Like any rifle bolt gun or otherwise, you have to find ammo that it will reliably shoot and shoot it enough to have confidence in it. But you do have to keep the chamber clean. That's why they include a chamber brush with the rifle, and the owners manual specifically explains that.

I have a room full of bolt guns, some very nice ones. Sometimes though, I just grab that little short fast handling 750 Carbine and have a good time with it. Its ideal for what I bought it for, which is hunting in dense swampy areas.

It aint a BAR, or AR etc. Its a cheap semi auto hunting rifle. One shouldn't expect it to be anything other than that.

Could he have made the follow up shot with a bolt rifle, don't know. Again, not criticizing the OP, and don't know what the situation may have been.

I shot a deer last year (hit and wounded) that I tracked through three miles of swamp so thick that you could hardly stick your arm in it, in the dark full of briars, snakes, alligators, chiggers, mosquitoes, and ticks throughout the night . First shot was in a field at over 400 yards, right before dark with a $2,000.00 bolt rifle with a $2,700.00 scope on it.

That was my fault, bad decision. Nothing at all to do with the rifle.

Last edited by gman3; November 24, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old November 24, 2015, 09:55 AM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
They always work on the first shot. When hunting, that's usually the one that counts.
I agree but I always seem to take more than one round with me (even if I am using a single shot rifle or pistol) when I go hunting, how about you?
Old November 24, 2015, 10:48 AM   #12
g.willikers

Isn't the first order of business finding out what ammo works best, or even works at all, in our guns?
Old November 24, 2015, 02:17 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...Rifle jammed...Still jams..." What ammo? Factory or reloads? What kind of jam? It ever function properly?
"...Tracked the deer 6 hours over 2 days..." You hit it? Six hours over 2 days isn't a lot though.
Semi's jam primarily because of bad ammo or magazines. Occasionally, because they're dirty or the gas system is dirty or providing insufficient gas to cycle the action.
Old November 24, 2015, 03:53 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Just got the rifle back from Remington for warranty repair !! Still jams.
How many rounds of the specific ammo you were carrying did you cycle through the rifle before taking it out hunting.

I really enjoy the recoil reduction offered by semi-automatic actions when hunting.
Old November 24, 2015, 08:20 PM   #15
603Country

Check and see if you have a scope mount screw protruding down into the action. That'll cause enough drag for the action to not cycle sometimes. I had that problem with a BAR. If you took the scope off and sent the rifle back to Remington, and they shot it successfully and shipped it back to you. And you put the scope and mounts back on it.....
Old November 26, 2015, 08:32 AM   #16
gman3

Yes, that will do it too. I'm going to look and compare, but I believe they use the same extractor as the model 700 bolt rifle. Mine works fine, but as I said doesn't function reliably with Hornady brass.

Another thing that can happen is if you "smack" the bottom of the magazine to seat it, (I have done this) it can be pushed in too far, and will cause feeding issues after the first shot. Just push it in until it clicks.

Lots of folks apparently have problems with them, but I really like mine.

Just look at all the threads related to problems that folks have with bolt rifles, including the endless debates over controlled round feed/push feed, will not feed, will not eject, will not shoot this ammo good, will not hold a group.

The point being, all rifles can have their little issues that have to be worked through. These are no different. Because their operating mechanism is a bit more complicated, the issues can be a bit more complicated.

I hope that you can stick with it and get it figured out, because they are great little hunting rifles. When you get it working right, I think it will be a favorite for you as it is for me.
Old November 26, 2015, 08:35 AM   #17
SARuger

Jam-o-matics! Very few people use them anymore around here and they do not hold value. With good care they are great rifles but very few people care for them properly.
Old November 26, 2015, 12:41 PM   #18
CarJunkieLS1

I see people with the semi auto Remingtons at a local range all the time. I even have a hunting partner that uses one exclusively.

I've seen probably 15-20 different people shooting them at one time or another and not a single one of them has jammed...

Keep them clean, oiled, and running quality ammo and it will serve you well for a lifetime of hunting. It is not a high volume shooting design though.
Old November 28, 2015, 08:22 AM   #19
agtman

Quote:
Remington 750 jammed, lost a deer
Had an easy follow up shot. Rifle jammed. Deer trotted off. Just got the rifle back from Remington for warranty repair !! Still jams.
Tracked the deer 6 hours over 2 days. Did not recover.
Remington replaced the extractor, and some other parts....
This gun will become a range gun, or something else.
Not suitable for hunting.
Sorry to hear that ....

Importantly, that never happens with my high-end 7.62 LM8. Always goes 'bang,' and is extremely accurate. Deer & hogs go nowhere but to the hard, cold ground.

As Grandpa always said: "Bought once, buy right, and cry not at all."

Sounds like you've got junk in the trunk ... Time to get rid of it.
Old November 28, 2015, 11:33 AM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Biggest problem with auto's jamming is the ammo used. Advice offered: Use what the rifle was designed to use according to its >instruction manual.
Factory made Remington cartridges only.

BTW:
One good thing OP. The wounding of and then you're misfortune to loose it. "Nothing goes to waste in the woods."_ Don't feel bad it happens. Next time. Don't count on that second shot. Take a deep breath settle down >Aim good. >Bang!! Brown is down._
Old November 28, 2015, 12:38 PM   #21
kcub

Why waste a minute on a remmy jammy? There are many proven military type semi autos in 223, 243, 260, 6.5 CM, 308.
Old November 28, 2015, 12:41 PM   #22
reynolds357

The 750 is known to jam. You lost the deer due to poor placement of your first shot. I will admit that due to the influx of hogs in my deer hunting area, I now use an ar-10 quite a bit. Having said that, follow up shots should not even be on your mind when deer hunting. One shot, one kill is the mentality that breeds clean and ethical kills. There has only been one time deer hunting when I wanted to shoot two deer at the same time. I got it done quite easily with the turn bolt.
Old November 28, 2015, 03:23 PM   #23
Doyle

Quote:
Even if someone made semi-autos or pumps that were somehow equally as reliable as bolt rifles I can't think of a single reason to choose one over a bolt gun.

Jim, I'll put a 760 pump up against a bolt for reliability any day. Almost as good accuracy wise too.
Old November 28, 2015, 07:56 PM   #24
reynolds357

I agree with the reliability of the 760, but accuracy is nowhere in the ball park of quality bolt actions.
Old November 28, 2015, 08:29 PM   #25
the blur

My personal preference to hunt is semi-auto. That's just me. I know most people like bolts, but to each his own.

From now on, I will hunt with my BAR, and the Rem 750 is shelved for good.

The 1st shot, yes, I hit low, just below the lungs in the brisket. The follow up shot would have been easy. The deer was in shell shock. I'm still bothered by the loss. Never lost a deer before.

That's why I don't bow hunt or MZ hunt. I just know the results wouldn't be pretty.