The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 20, 2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Kamloops

Leupold Scopes Quality

So I have ordered a new Henry .45-70 lever rifle, and want to add a scope to it when it arrives, and will keep my current one with just sights.
I don't do super long range shooting, and don't like how a high power scope has so little field of view.
It will be used for everything from bear defense to moose hunting.

So before I spend a bunch of money and later regret it....is this 1.75 to 6 power Leupold a good scope?

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...3-1-75-6x32mm/
Old November 20, 2015, 01:48 PM   #2
burrhead

Absolutely. From the VX-1 on up, Leupold's are all good. When you get to the 3s and up, you're in "fine" to "outstanding" scope territory.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 20, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
JJ45

I commented on this before but I'LL sayit again.

I recently acquired a Leupold M8 4X28 for a good price and as it had the CPC reticle decided to send it in to Leupold for a reticle change for $68. I hunt mostly woods so asked for a German #4.

About a week later I was at a Friday night football game when a call comes in from Leupold. The lady on the phone said the scope "had water in it" (I was having a hard time hearing her over the fan noise) but assume she mean't it was no longer water proof and they couldn't fix it.

Anyway, she said they were going to replace it with a brand new FXII 4X33 and include the new reticle....The scope, even though a gold ring model, was made sometime prior to 1974 per serial # and I was not the original owner.

If that isn't standing behind one's product, I don't know what is!
Old November 20, 2015, 03:43 PM   #4
SARuger

Absolutely! You can't go wrong with a Leupold in the VX1 and up. I also like the Redfield Revolution series. Also made by Leupold
Old November 20, 2015, 08:01 PM   #5
jmr40

When it comes to durability and toughness Leupold is the about as good as it gets. If I wanted a scope that absolutely, positively had to work (especially on a hard kicking rifle) Leupold would be my top pick.

Because of their warranty and great customer service they are one brand I'd have no worries about purchasing used either.
Old November 20, 2015, 09:13 PM   #6
fourbore

Quote:
Absolutely! You can't go wrong with a Leupold in the VX1 and up. I also like the Redfield Revolution series. Also made by Leupold
I dont know from first hand, but; you might want to check the country of origin and warranty on the redfield. I heard some things. For, the real deal, Leupold I agree 100% and pretty much if I cannot afford a Leupold, I find a used one or wait. I rather have less items of better quality than a safe full of mediocre.

I have done extremely well with used Leupold, even though the used models do command a lot higher price than used brand x scopes. Some of the most practical hunting Leupold like 2-7x are very reasonable price, new or used. The vx-1 1-4x shotgun scope is very good on a budget. The fixed 4x is very good and preferable to brand x variable IMHO. Brand x includes redfield until proven otherwise.
Old November 20, 2015, 09:53 PM   #7
ripnbst

Red field is indeed owned by Leupold. For variable 1x-4x or I think I've seen 1-6x look at "tactical" or "3 gun" marketed scopes. They all are designed to be able to make hits on target quickly from pretty darn close out to about 300 yards typically. The feature set on those because they are used in competitions against the clock would also be applicable to hunting. Not that you are on the clock but you need to be able to get on target quickly and make an effective hit.
Old November 21, 2015, 12:32 AM   #8
Kamloops

Thanks for the replies.
I have had scopes on 2 other rifles, but never a Leupold brand.
Heard they were good, and wanted to be sure....sounds like a resounding yes, so I will get it.
Old November 21, 2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Mystro

The VX3 and VX6 use their top of the line optics/glass. The VX6 is all 30mm tubes. The VX3 uses a 1' tube and also some 30mm tubes.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old November 21, 2015, 12:42 PM   #10
fourbore

[quote]Redfield is indeed owned by Leupold.[/guote]

Re-branding a Chinese made scope is not the same as building a top product with a no question, all eternity warranty. I would be cautious on Redfield.

I have very good success with Japanese Bushnell and recent Nikon (regardless of where they were made). But! I also had a problem with Bushnell quality when the moved the same exact scope, at same price, to China. I had a problem with the limited adjustment range on a Nikon. I solved both issues with a Leupold. I got pretty turned off after these experiences and now, while I still peruse the used scope piles for old gems from Japan, I pretty much try and stick with Leupold. one less hassle. And by hassle, I include reading all the specs and reviews deciding what to buy and from whom. Also, hassle later when things go wrong or don't live up to expectations.
Old November 21, 2015, 12:50 PM   #11
krimmie

The Redfield Revolution series is made in Oregon, the Renegade series is made over seas.
Old November 21, 2015, 01:18 PM   #12
Omaha-BeenGlockin

10 years ago I bashed Leupold all day long---when you could get a Zeiss Conquest for $399 it was a no-brainer what to get.

In the last few years, Leupold has really stepped up their game(competition is a good thing--otherwise they would just keep offering the same ol same ol) offering excellent scopes at very good prices---Leupold is the scope I look at first these days.

Great value--CS and warranty
-------Metallica
Old November 21, 2015, 03:43 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

You certainly wouldn't need anything higher than a good 6-power in that gun & caliber.
150-200 yards is easily handled by a 6.
Denis
Old November 21, 2015, 05:47 PM   #14
Mystro

Just came in from bear hunting. I was out well past sunset. It was almost dark and considered getting out my headlamp to walk out of the woods. When I look through my VX3 3.5-10 40mm on my rifle it was almost like it was sunset again. I could easily see to make a shot. That 40mm Leupold gathered more light than my 50mm Swarovski. Leupolds Twilight optics are stunningly amazing. I noticed the same brightness last year with a VX6 on a different rifle. I can say without a doubt that my Leupold VX3-VX6 gather more light than my Zeiss or Swarovski. This is why this year I purchased 2 more VX3 to go on my other rifles and sold off my other brands of scopes.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old November 21, 2015, 06:29 PM   #15
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Leupolds Twilight optics are stunningly amazing. I noticed the same brightness last year with a VX6 on a different rifle. I can say without a doubt that my Leupold VX3-VX6 gather more light than my Zeiss or Swarovski.
Optics don't "gather light." They transmit light.

What you need to look at is the diameter of the front objective (lens), tube diameter, percentage of light transmission, and exit pupil - those are the only things that matter.

There are additional factors that can have some effect such as apochromatic lenses, lens coatings, low dispersion glass (ED, HD, etc.) that can effect contrast that, in turn, makes the image appear clearer and brighter.

But, in general, the scope with the larger front objective, larger tube, larger exit pupil, and greater percentage of transmission will be the brighter scope.
Old November 21, 2015, 07:42 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

And if it's a four-speed manual, even better!
Denis
Old November 21, 2015, 09:26 PM   #17
reynolds357

Leupold is durable, but their optical quality has fallen behind the Austrian and German glass. Their highest end scopes do not compete with Minox, March, S&B, Kahles, Swavarski, or Leica.
AS far as US scopes go, they have fallen behind Night Force.
Old November 21, 2015, 09:33 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

For the purchase price, Leupold is the best deal going, if you ask me, between quality and expense.

You want to improve on a Leupold, be ready to double your cost for not much better. You want really, really, good, triple and five times the price.
Old November 21, 2015, 09:57 PM   #19
Kamloops

I ordered it this afternoon.
Thanks again...you guys are great ☺
Old November 21, 2015, 10:34 PM   #20
DPI7800

Quote:
. AS far as US scopes go, they have fallen behind Night Force.
What is this based on? Do you have any independent laboratory numbers to support this? Or is it all speculation?

In my opinion (speculation here) I find my Mark 6 to be equal to, if not even better than my Nightforce. But that is just my opinion man, from a person who has 20/10 vision.
Old November 21, 2015, 11:36 PM   #21
reynolds357

Based on which brand is winning in 1k Competition. I also base it on experience with Leupold VS. Nightforce when dealing with b.r. scopes that are shooting good but not great. Nightforce is willing to do what it takes to make the scope perfect. In my experiences Leupold seems to settle for almost perfect.
Old November 22, 2015, 02:51 AM   #22
mxsailor803

Leupold as far as I'm concerned, is about the best value vs quality scope you can get. People will say Nightforce or what ever else but most of those are more than $1k. I'm not spending that much money on a scope unless it's for a .50BMG. Not going to happen for me. The VX-1's and up are very good scopes. I personally have a VX-2, VX-3, and FX. Never have had a single complaint about any of them. Also, take a look at Vortex. I have a rifle that has a Crossfire 2 on it that I broke (my fault) and they exchanged it with no questions asked. I will buy a Vortex as well just depends on which deal is better.
Old November 22, 2015, 03:03 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

I'm more than satisfied with every Leupold product that I own. And several are older than I.

When I want something that will work, I might buy a 'mid-range' scope.
When I want it to be dead-nuts reliable and last forever, I buy a Leupold.

Quote:
Re-branding a Chinese made scope is not the same as building a top product with a no question, all eternity warranty. I would be cautious on Redfield.
Leupold OWNS Redfield.
We're not talking about re-branding scopes. No one said anything of the sort.

It's a simple statement: Leupold OWNS Redfield.

As for the product lines under the Redfield name...
The Revolution scopes are made in Oregon.
The Renegade, Revenge, and Battlezone scopes are made in the Philippines. (Just like Nikon, Barska, Bushnell, Vortex, Weaver, and many more brands that people rarely complain about being imported... )

From what I have read, the Redfield imports are being made by a Japanese optics company that owns a lot of manufacturing and assembly sites in Japan, China, and the Philippines. They manufacture scopes for pretty much EVERYONE that doesn't make their scopes in-house.
Depending upon the 'quality level' of the scope, it could have Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, or German glass. They use whatever fits the price point. -- For example, their "Nikko Stirling" and "Tasco" scopes get Chinese glass, but the "Bushnell 3200 Elite" and "Bushnell 4200 Elite" scopes got Japanese or German glass. (For the Bushnells, that's: German design for an American company, cosmetically modified by another American company, 'built' by a Japanese company, glass ground by Japanese or German contractors, and assembled by Filipino labor using primarily Chinese or Japanese parts; before being transported trans-Pacific by the lowest bidder, for a company head-quartered in the Mid-west. Given that supply chain... It's no wonder that most modern scope warranties suck.)

---

When the Revenge line was first introduced (it was the first import scope for Redfield after Leupold involvement), the warranties did differ between the Revenge and Revolution lines. I have not checked recently, however, so I don't know if the current warranty is still sub-par on the imports.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; November 22, 2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old November 22, 2015, 08:21 AM   #24
kcub

Trijicon has clearer better optics but I don't see the sense in having a scope on a .45-70.
Old November 22, 2015, 01:53 PM   #25
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Revolutions are built in Oregon of non-domestic components.
Denis