The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1
mbrittb00

Looking for recommendation for target shooting rifle

My son (10years old) has expressed an interest in getting into target/competition shooting. I've been told that the .17 is a better round than the .22. But not sure about the actual guns. Don't even know which manufacturers are good and which ones are crap.

Also, is there an "organization" website or something that I can look at for information on groups competitions etc?

Thanks
Old February 3, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
kraigwy

The CMP Rimfire Sporter is a pretty good venue to start kids in competition shooting. So is the NRA Light Rifle.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm

Check the rules, I believe both require 22s and not 17s,

The CMP GSM Master Instructor Courses also coaching the Rimfire Sporters.

When I went to the GSM MI course I was talking to several Rimfire coaches and all pretty much agreed the CZ 452 is the light rifle matches, Super accurate and easy for juniors to use.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 3, 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Revolver1

You'd be hard pressed to find a more accurate, affordable .22 than an old Remington 511 or 514. I had an old 511 Scoremaster. Would out shoot any Anschutz, or high end rifle.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
perazzi

contrary to Revolvers statement, if you can find an older Anschutz 54 or 64, they are still the world standard for accuracy...
Old February 4, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
alex0535

The .17 HMR is my favorite rimfire cartridge because I can shoot squirrels out of trees 100+ yards out.

For a 10 year old target shooter, a .22LR is much more practical.

When .17's are in rimfire competition, I think a lot of the time they will segregate the .17's from the .22's.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
MrBorland

Maybe get in touch with MTGuns. They've got used target .22s in stock and have a good rep for supporting the target shooting community. Mac Tilton just retired, though, so the business is being run via Chesebro Rifles. Either way, contact them, get their feedback, and ask what they've got in their used inventory.

BTW, be aware that in many (most?) cases, formal "target" .22 rifles are single shot. If the type of competition would require a repeater (e.g. CMP Rimfire Sporter), a single shot won't do.

As far as a new rifles, check out Chesebro's CZ452 Scout: Outfitted with Lyman sights and a forearm rail, it'd make a good starting target rifle for a 10 year old. The CZ452 is an excellent rifle, especially for the price. The Scout version has a shorter barrel & smaller stock. It comes with a single round magazine, but it'll take standard 5- and even 10-shot CZ452 mags. I've never seen it sold with Lyman sights and/or a forearm rail, so this one's specifically set up for youth target shooting, it seems.