The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
1J04

25-06 OAL Issue ? Please Comment

Hey Folks, great forum. Another fairly new to reloading guy with a question regarding this 25-06 Remington I just picked up. I'll have to get the actual lengths posted when I get home but this I know right now. After loading and shooting some new brass with 75gr Hornady HP w/53 gr IMR4831 I noticed that my fire formed cases aren't even 2.494, they are somewhat shorter, actual length posted when I get home to remeasure. The OAL of the loaded cartridges is also below SAAMI of 3.250. So here's what I don't get. The rounds chamber fine but I have noticed slight scratches around one side of the Ogive on each round after chambering and ejecting. Would this suggest that I'm still not seating deep enough and the Ogive is touching the lands? Obviously concerned. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 1J04; August 4, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old August 4, 2011, 04:37 PM   #2
flashhole

Pictures will help with this discussion.

The scratches could be ejector marks or feed ramp marks or barrel land marks.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 4, 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
1J04

Good idea. I'll try to get some pics of what the bullets look like after removing them from the chamber. Been pretty careful not to extract them hard just for that reason of not wanting to mark them from that process.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
The rounds chamber fine but I have noticed slight scratches around one side of the Ogive
If the bullets are contacting the lands, you will see marks all the way around. Marks are on side are normally just the bolt ejector shoving the round against the side of the action as you withdraw it. Easy enough to check. Reach in and press the cartridge against the ejector spring pressure as you move the bolt to the back. Marks should disappear.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:44 PM   #5
1J04

That just makes too much sense I'll try that when I get to the house! It makes sense cuz the light scratches on the bullet at the ogive are not a straight line, they have a little turn to them as if it's just making contact just before, or at, time of leaving the chamber. Never loaded this light of a bullet caliber before, or a bullet with such an abrupt ogive. Always curious as to "why" and trying to be cautious. Thanks