The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2009, 09:49 PM   #1
GeorgeF

Auto Indexing 308 with Lee Turret Press

Buddy of mine has the Lee Deluxe Turret kit and has been reloading pistol just fine. He just started .308 and could not get the auto index to work.

Two questions:

1) is it possible to modify this Press to auto index with larger rifle brass?

2) is the Classis Turret Press different than the regular press and able to auto index full size rifle brass (.308, 8mm Mauser, etc)?
Old June 30, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
D. Manley

Quote:
Buddy of mine has the Lee Deluxe Turret kit and has been reloading pistol just fine. He just started .308 and could not get the auto index to work.

Two questions:

1) is it possible to modify this Press to auto index with larger rifle brass?

2) is the Classis Turret Press different than the regular press and able to auto index full size rifle brass (.308, 8mm Mauser, etc)?
From the LEE PRECISION FAQ PAGE:

Quote:
Rifle loading on Turret Press

The Turret Press is a great press for loading rifle cartridges. If you choose to load cases that are over 2 5/16" in length, the Auto Indexing feature of the Press must be disabled. This can be done in mere seconds by simply taking the actuator rod out of it's clamp from the top of the press. It can be re-assembled in the same time.

If your desire is to load very large cases on the Turret Press, the clamp that rotates the actuator rod which is located on the back of the ram must also be removed. This too is a simple process but takes a minute or two. It can be reassembled in the same amount of time.

The Auto Index feature was primarily designed to speed the handgun loading process and allows the press in experienced hands to load 200 handgun rounds per hour. If your desire is to load larger rifle cartridges, we recommend the purchase of the four hole press over the three hole. This is because the four hole auto indexing feature can be quickly removed and re-installed with no ill effect to the timing. With three hole auto indexing, the clamp that holds the rod must be "tweaked" to achieve proper timing.
Old June 30, 2009, 11:24 PM   #3
GeorgeF

Many thanks!
Old July 1, 2009, 06:55 AM   #4
dlb435

I tried this press for 223 and found it would work but was kind of flimsy. Took a lot of tinkering to keep it going. I finally gave up and used it only for 9mm until I sold it. I didn't like it and would not get an other one.
Still, it did work.
Old July 1, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5
CrustyFN

I haven't done it myself but have talked to a few people that have loaded 30-06 in auto index mode on the classic turret. The classic is quite a bit taller than the deluxe. I think you will find more information from the people that did it at http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/. Check with Uncle Don.

Rusty
Old July 1, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6
GeorgeF

Thanks! Called Lee Precision and spoke to a tech there. He said up to and including .308 will still autoindex on the Classic Cast press.

I hope to heck that .30-06 would index - cause at 63mm that will allow me to reload for almost every rifle I own.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Jim243

A. I use a single stage RCBS Rockchucker for rifle, with case prep, trimming and powder from an RCBS 1500, it makes no sense to use a progressive press for rifle.

However, I load 380, 38spl, 357mag, 9mm, 40s&w and 45 acp on a lee 4 hole clasic turret press. You can not get a better machine for handloading handgun rounds.