The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 1998, 10:34 AM   #1
Kodiac

If a .223 bullet on a 10mm case is so hot.
I wonder what a .223 bullet on a 50AE case would do... providing you had a longer barrel to let the projectile accelerate better.
That might be a fun experimental toy... put that into the Ogre family of Wildcats.

Remember: The OGRE family of wildcat ideas take the concept of "Bigger Hammer"... I do not take these ideas seriously and will not invest any money in them...
But if you do - let me know the results.

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited 10-30-98).]
Old October 30, 1998, 11:16 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You should see what the benchresters shoot. You're talking about a completely different world from what I've read. A lot of what you're talking about they've probably done. I don't recall the exact setup but I recall something called a 5.6(?)Fatboy. I'm not a benchrester but occasionally come across info on their equipment. Talk about high tech. They've even got 70 lb rail guns shooting their wildcats.
Old October 30, 1998, 02:12 PM   #3
Kodiac

You mean rail gun as in a gun like a rail road tie, or like Rail Gun as in Electro magnetic pulse driven cannon like the Army is working on to replace the 120mm?
Old October 30, 1998, 10:22 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I believe he means a gun mounted to a rail. Pretty solid rest.

I have been thinking of putting a saboted .22 bullet in a .45 ACP for years. I don't understand why one would go through the trouble of designing a whole new caliber with attendant barrel, brass, and platform issues, if an existing system can be easily modified to fill the job well. Is there some intrinsic flaw with using a sabot? It cannot be high velocity, as the Armed Forces experimented with SLAP sabot rounds for years. Why not put a sub-caliber saboted projectile into a .44 Mag, for instance? Then, one can still use the 'ole "hawg leg" for the task any sane gun owner would ordinarily use a .44 for, with the option of shooting through an APC as close as the cartridge belt or butt cuff. I'm sure the saboted rounds would be hell on varmints, too!
Old October 31, 1998, 10:47 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Spectre is right. These guns have a seperate receiver mounted on rails which are mounted on the "stock". Some even have an electronic trigger.
As to saboted rounds, if you remember Remington made cartridges many moons ago in the more popular .30 calibers. I believe i still have some in 30-06. I also have in my bullet stock some .30 cal saboted bullets. I believe that the bullet itself is .224. Some time down the road I plan on loading these.
Old October 31, 1998, 12:45 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

Ahhh, the Remington Accelerator. Great round, quietly dissapearded from the marketplace. There was a murder outside of nashville using them, the guy felt guilty and confessed, otherwise it would never have been proven.
I shot up the last of mine last year. There is a company on the net selling a couple of different kinds of sabots, but I don't know anyone who has reloaded with them.
More importantly, desiggning a sabto at home for a specialty round is going to be tough. I tried a coupe of times, and even have a few loads left with a plastic sabot for .223 in a .44 Mag, but they are about as accurate as wiffle ball in the wind. Keyholed about 90% of the time. Maybe I just can't design sabots, wasn't covered in my B.A....
Old October 31, 1998, 11:30 PM   #7
Kodiac

Yeah, SABOT rounds are great...
The Army was working on a smooth bore M2 - the fifty cal machinegun, it fired expierimental fin stabalized, discarding sabot rounds. Penetrators were tungston I think.
One advantage of the smoothbore is higher velocity over a rifle due to reduced friction. Flatter trajectory... less crittical rangfinding - easier to hit with improved accuracy.
A lot less fouling too.
I don't know if the Army has continued that project - I haven't heard about it for a few years, since I saw it. they were also working on a milimeter wave radar for targeting too... but I think that project was killed off quick.
Old November 2, 1998, 04:56 PM   #8
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Sabot, Light, Armor Piercing, I believe is what the acronym stood for. I have often theorized about the things the Accelerator could be good for...