The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 24, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1
TCman

Stevens 22-410 stock

I have a stevens 22-410 that is in need of some repair. I bought it from a guy who had it in a closet for over 10 years and wanted to get rid of it. While it was in there some type of glue dripped down onto the barrel, ran down to the reciever, and filled up the action. I finally got the internals cleaned up, but the finish and stock leaves alot to be desired.

The stock is tenite and is badly scratched up. The finish is mostly gone. To fix the finish I first tried to cold blue it. That ended in disaster, so I simply spray painted it with black gloss header paint. Im still not happy with it so I'm thinking OD green duracoat would look good.

My problem is the stock. I see that boyds sells replacement hardwood stocks for the savage 24 which should fit. The problem is the stock bolt. On every gun stock I have removed, the stock bolt is long, 10 inches or so. The bolt on the tenite stock is only 2 or 3 inches long, and you have to have a long screwdriver to get to it. Think of an ar15 grip screw.

My question is has anybody used the boyds stock on a stevens gun, and what did you do about the bolt problem? Numrich sells a savage 24 stock bolt that I think would work if the thread pattern is the same.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

The stock bolt is just a long screw, get a long 1/4 20 bolt from home depot and cut a screw slot in it, then cut to fit. It's not like the bolt is sticking out front on the end of the barrel for everyone to see.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3
UpandAtIt

You can get the special stock screw driver from Brownells. It is long and sturdy enough for stock replacement jobs. It is made by Bonanza. If ya lived around me I would just let ya use mine.

The bolt/screw for the Savage WILL fit the Stevens model. Depending how fancy you want your stock. Sile sells a replacement that is almost exact to the original wood on the Savage. I never did like those tenite stocks on a shotgun. Having them on .22's are fine but not on something with a decent recoil.

The two distributors I have worked with so far with Sile is:

http://www.macraesbluebook.com/searc...company=545802

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Every...il.aspx?id=908

Remember to purchase the crush washer with the screw in case it does not come with it. Without the crush washer you will eithetr go too tight (causes cracks at the back end of the receiver) or too loose (causes grip breaks and cracks). The screw is a specific hardness, not like what you can just grab up at the hardware store. This is so the threads do not pull out or the bolt bends when accidently field knocked around.

You can also get decent wood stocks and hardware from Hoosier Gunworks. http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/forearms.html

I often find wood stocks on gunbroker.com and/or auctionarms.com

Hope this helps.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:54 PM   #4
TCman

I got to thinking today. Why not just dura-coat the tenite stock? It would be cheaper than buyibg the hardwood stock, and be lighter. Any ideas if the is a bad idea? I also dont know what color I would make the stock to compliment the green barrel and action. Any ideas? Pattern or camo maybe?
Old March 9, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

The DuraCoat may dislove the plastic stock and never dry. Check with the supplier/mfgr. before you buy the stuff. Also it may flake off in time.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:31 AM   #6
UpandAtIt

Numrich has the Savage Model 24 stocks on sale right now. Item number td583130 at $49.60. This may be easier than doing a bubba job on a plastic stock. this ad was in the vol 64 - issue 8 of shotgun news, page 81.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:51 PM   #7
TCman

Thanks UandA.