The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Wallabing

Problem with new barrel I ordered.....

My order for a new 870 express IC rifle sight barrel arrived today from Midwayusa. I installed it onto my 870 shotgun only to find out to my dismay that the sights are crooked.....

The rear sight is at a askew angle, It's clearly noticable if you looked from down the muzzle. I am shocked as how can this can possibly happen with a $180 price tag, what has happened to the quality control with Remington? How can they possibly sell barrels with crooked sights?

Now I have to deal with either keeping it, or getting a refund as an exchange is not possible, the item is out of stock.

Does anyone have any experiences with dealing with returns with MidwayUSA, is it pretty easy with them?
Old April 21, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2
zippy13

Nope, through the years, I've never had to return anything to Midway. Your complaint is really with Remington, most likely Midway never opened the box. By all means, get a replacement, else the crocked sight will bother you forever.

I trust you've kept the paper work. Doesn't it discuss their return procedures? Midway's home page doesn't have a customer service link, but their number is 1-800-234-3220. Hopefully they won't complain that you installed the barrel. One could argue, if the sight is so far off, then why didn't you notice it before you installed the barrel?

Good luck,
Pete
Old April 21, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
bwheasler

Don't stand if it

Nothing I hate worse is substandard workmanship. Send it back, today. I have owned Remington products for years and are top notch. If Midway won't take of it, post it on the forum. Nothing get a company to listen like bad PR. If they won't, Remington surely would. The product inspectors are human and if that person had looked at 200 barrels that day I could see maybe missing one. I'm not defending the crooked sight, it just happens.
Old April 21, 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Wallabing

It's just not the sight itself, but the entire rear sight post that's crooked, as if it were sloppily silver soldered onto the barrel, how QC could not have noticed it amazes me.
Old April 22, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
bwheasler

QC on break

I feel your pain, maybe they were on break when the barrel went thru, they are union aren't they.
Old April 22, 2009, 02:42 PM   #6
RoscoeC

Midway will probably take it back. A buddy of mine bought a new 1100 barrel from them, and when he got it it had a tiny white plastic bead front sight rather than the Bradley style that folks have come to expect on Remington barrels. He boxed it up, sent it back to Midway, and explained why he didn't want it, and they took it back with no question.

With all that said, I don't know if they will make a cash refund. He just got credit issued to his account, which wasn't a problem since he orders lots of stuff from Midway.

Midway's customer service has always been excellent for me, and I have done considerable business with them. Just give them a call.
NRA Life Member