The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 2, 2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Gbro

Bad accident

Sunday 10/31 a good friend, co-worker, was cutting brush around his deer stands with a modified brush cutter (large weed whip with a saw blade attachment).
While cutting brush the blade came off and cut one of his legs completely off just above the ankle. He was transfered by air to a trauma center but they were unable to re-attach the leg.
This mans young sons were in the area and were able to put a tourniquet on the leg saving there dads life.

About 25 years ago I was using a similar saw and the blade that came with it was not capable of cutting the brush I wanted to cut so I replaced it with a 12" carbide tipped blade that cut through 4" saplings like they were corn stocks and all the time I was cutting I knew that if that blade came off I would probably loose both legs. Being young and dumb, I continued and finished the job at hand. With this friend loosing his leg sure reminded me of just how foolish one can be when our desires over-rule our better judgment.
Old November 2, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2
rjrivero

I'm sorry to hear this. I've never seen this particular tool, but man it looks vicious.
Old November 2, 2010, 01:33 PM   #3
davlandrum

Sorry to hear that.

Some times it is easy to get lax around equipment after running it for nours on end. Doesn't sound like the case this time.

Was it a mechanical failure (bolt sheared?) or error installing it? Not that it makes it any better either way.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 2, 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Dave P

I have been using one of these for a few months now. It can be dangerous, but to cut right thru a leg???

I can't imagine the typical blade that I use could 1) fall off 2) jump around the protective guard and 3) cut thru more than 1/2" of leg before it ran out of energy.

Echo bolts on the blade, with a cotter pin holding the nut.

IS there some part of the story missing? Was his machine designed for the circular blades - or was it a home-brew design??
Old November 2, 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
FrontSight

WOW...please do tell more, as requested by others...
Old November 2, 2010, 03:48 PM   #6
leadcounsel

This is a tragedy.

I am surprised there isn't a blade guard or similiar.

I agree that folks often get lax around power tools. I am extremely respectful of tools, especially saws, when I use them. I always wear safety glasses, ear protection, use leather gloves if necessary, and keep the guards in place, and use other measures.

Not sure if your friend removed the guards or was using it incorrectly, or he was just really unlucky.

Not that there can be much good news but
1) he survived,
2) prosthetics are really advanced
3) could become pretty rich over a products liability lawsuit if the item was faulty.
Old November 2, 2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

This isn't firearms related but it does show how fragile life is and how quick it can change. That's something that we should all remember as we take to the woods with firearms this season.

Hope everyone has a safe and successful hunt this year.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:21 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

Sorry to hear about your friends misfortune. I hope he will heal quickly and be able to adapt for his work and recreation. good for his boys quick thinking!

Safety principles apply whether using firearms or power tools or sharp blades. Never let your head or torso (or as little of any appendage) get in line with the moving part (saw blade, bullet, etc.). And if you get totally avoid being in line with the dangerous element, then be extra vigilant of equipment condition and precise use.

For instance, chain saw pretty much require that at least some of your arm crosses over the plane of the moving chain. But NEVER move your head across the chain plane while the chain is revving or cutting.

Any time your body must cross the plan or path of a cutting blade or projectile then minimize exposure, consider wearing protective clothing for that area of body (leather boots, chaps, etc.).

We shooters are generally pretty good at observing safety rules of muzzle direction, etc. We should apply the same principles to all work we do with machines.

And for goodness sake, when you notice your attention drifting or you are getting sloppy from fatigue: take a break. even a couple of minutes to breath and re-collect yourself can greatly improve your safety.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 2, 2010, 04:22 PM   #9
markj

Them blades are not supposed to come off.

Wife put her hand in my table saw a few years ago, she almost lost her thumb, saws can hurt ya so fast, best take every precation.

Now if he used a 44 mag on that brush he would have had a lot more fun
Old November 2, 2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Gbro

I do not have all the particulars on this. My daughter is going to try and see him today if she transports to the same hospital as he is in.
He is one of our small neighboring town's 1st responder and firefighter.
Surgery is schedualed for tomorrow.
1+ for the
Quote:
2) prosthetics are really advanced
Old November 2, 2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I am surprised there isn't a blade guard or similiar.
They do have guards and if the blade came off then it sounds like the blade must of ricocheted because if used properly, the blade should not be able to come off and hit the user.

Quote:
About 25 years ago I was using a similar saw and the blade that came with it was not capable of cutting the brush I wanted to cut so I replaced it with a 12" carbide tipped blade that cut through 4" saplings like they were corn stocks and all the time I was cutting I knew that if that blade came off I would probably loose both legs.
If the blade was to come off, it might be capable of taking off both legs, but not likely because you would not be likely to be using the cutter in such a manner that the direction of travel of the blade was in line with both legs at the same time. Hitting one leg would be something of a fluke given the 360 degrees a blade could possibly got and given the roughly 60-70 degrees precluded from travel by the guard.
Old November 2, 2010, 07:38 PM   #12
RichardWA

We have a similar unit where I work. I only let the guys use the star shaped blade on it just in case. It is a more blunt edged blade than the saw blade, doesn't cut as well, but if anything happened I would rather they got beat instead of cut.
Ruger 10-22, Marlin model 60 22lr, Marlin Stainless Steel model 60 22lr, Winchester Model 94 AE 44 mag, Mossberg model 500A 12 gauge pump, H&R Pardner 410, Mosin m38 , S&W model 19-5 357 mag, Colt DA 45, Colt Frontier Scout 22lr, Highpoint 9mm Marlin 81DL, Marlin 336 30-30, Berreta 950 .25acp
Old November 2, 2010, 08:56 PM   #13
James H

These stick saws are dangerous. More likely than a blade coming off is that you'll get kickback when cutting thicker wood. Just like a chainsaw can kick back, these things will too, but toward your ankles/calves. And these don't have a chainbrake. Most professional users I know take the guards off, but all the guards do is help to keep brush debris off your lower legs. Not a big deal when you're wearing work boots and Carhartts. They don't have much to do with preventing contact with the blade, though. That's mostly up to the user.

We can all learn though...stay alert whether it's saws or guns that you're using.
Old November 2, 2010, 09:34 PM   #14
langenc

Somewhat related::

I tell my wife --NEVER walk between the front ends of two vehicles at the grocery/mall if one vehicle has the engine running or is being started....

ALSO NEVER wear gloves/mittens when running a table saw.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
These stick saws are dangerous.
Any saw that can cut through wood is dangerous. If the blade can destroy wood, it can destroy human flesh and bone.

Quote:
More likely than a blade coming off is that you'll get kickback when cutting thicker wood. Just like a chainsaw can kick back, these things will too, but toward your ankles/calves.
Whether or not this saw is going to kickback toward the feet/ankles is going to depend on a lot of things. First is the direction of the spin relative to where the blade contacts the tree. If you cut with the sawdust being shot forward, that means that the blade could be forced backward if it kickbacks. If the sawdust is being kicked backward, left, or right, then it isn't going to be kicking back toward the feet/ankles.

Because the saw is on a stick, if the unit is being held properly, the length of the stick will keep the blade from reaching the feet/ankles. The unit will tend to pivot around the hub which is comprised of the operator controlling the unit from the opposite end of it.
Old November 3, 2010, 05:56 PM   #16
RB98SS

Quote:
Because the saw is on a stick, if the unit is being held properly, the length of the stick will keep the blade from reaching the feet/ankles. The unit will tend to pivot around the hub which is comprised of the operator controlling the unit from the opposite end of it.
Exactly correct. If it is a STIHL like the link, and if using the harness that comes with it, there is very little chance of a kickback being able to hit you anywhere with the length of the shaft as it is. Now if the blade came loose, then all bets are off.
Old November 9, 2010, 03:34 AM   #17
bamaranger

back in the day

I ran a rig like this 20 years ago, made by Homelite. The blade we used was a wheel with chain saw chain fitted to it. The rig came with a harness which, when adjusted right and snapped in, would not allow the blade to reach you, even in a fall (supposedly). We were clearing boundary lines and small ROW's.

We were all highly respectful of the darn things. Often we ran them on broken ground, hill sides, etc. I was glad when the Safety Officer said cease and desist.
Old November 15, 2010, 05:41 PM   #18
woodguru

I have one of those attachments for a Husqvarna, it has a blade guard but everyone else I see using that seems to feel the guard reduces the effectiveness or depth of the cut possible.. I'm sort of on the safety page where cutting 2" with the guard versus 4" without it is safer. I wouldn't think of taking off the guard. The non carbide blade would be far less likely to be able to go through the leg than a way sharper and more aggressively toothed carbide.

It's a dangerous tool and the user has to take responsibility for using dangerous tools. Wanna bet he will have attorneys calling wanting to sue the deep pockets of the tool company?

I will guarantee that the next time I use that I will not be tempted to go it without the guard. The guard actually is designed so that the blade can only be used from the front angle which means the blade will come off at a side angle.

I'm pretty sure the guy who lost his leg doesn't want to hear criticism about any misuse, but anyone who has tool sense can figure one thing out very quickly. When using a circular saw type tool like this you will notice the blade pulls hard depending on which edge you are using. Cut from the front where the blade guard forces you to and the blade will try to pull to the opposite direction of blade travel to the right or left. Cut on the left side where the guard isn't on and the blade will want to go forward if it came off, cut to the right side without a guard and the blade will pull toward you. It would be cut and dried that the guy was cutting on the opposite side he should have or the blade would have flown away from him.

How many think of those things when they are using tools? That is the main purpose of the blade guard, it to orient the cut to where it flies off to one side, it's basic physics.

It's bad to hear about accidents with this severe of a consequence. Without the guard your natural tendency would be to have the tool pulling away from you as opposed to toward you, I think the blade goes the opposite way it's pulling because the wood would reverse the way it comes off.
Old November 15, 2010, 07:35 PM   #19
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P
I have been using one of these for a few months now. It can be dangerous, but to cut right thru a leg???

I can't imagine the typical blade that I use could 1) fall off 2) jump around the protective guard and 3) cut thru more than 1/2" of leg before it ran out of energy.

Echo bolts on the blade, with a cotter pin holding the nut.

IS there some part of the story missing? Was his machine designed for the circular blades - or was it a home-brew design??
Dave,

Gbro mentioned that his friend was cut right above the ankle. That probably means that the saw blade went through the tarsals rather than the tibia and fibula. Regardless, it is really lucky his sons were nearby. That kind of injury can easily be fatal if you are alone in the woods and don't know much about first aid.

Thanks for posting this Gbro. Guards can often slow things down, but i guess they are there for a reason. I took the tip guard off of my chainsaw since it war interfering with deeper cuts. I'm not quite sure what it does other than get in the way of deeper cuts. I guess I will be much more careful when using it though.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:55 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Gbro mentioned that his friend was cut right above the ankle. That probably means that the saw blade went through the tarsals rather than the tibia and fibula.
Nope. Above the ankle is going to be above the tibia and fibula as the ankle is comprised of the articulation of the tibia and fibula with the upper tarsals, (specifically the talus underlain by the calcaneus), the tibia riding on top of the talus. More generically, the "ankle" includes the area of the tarsal bones including the joint with the tibia and connection with the fibula. So once again, above the ankle would still be somewhere in the lower tibia and fibula.

http://www.scoi.com/anklanat.htm
http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com...nkle_foot.html

Whether the saw blade went through the lower tibia and fibula or when through the talus and calcaneus, that region of bone is all high stress and so comprised of a much greater amount of cortical bone than areas with less stress such as the midshaft of long bones.

If the blade actually went through the actual ankle joint between the tibia and the talus, it potentially could have had to cut through a minimal amount of bone, causing a separation of the joint, to get complete separation.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:24 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The vast majority of brush cutter injuries are to non-operating personnel.

The kick back RARELY tries to kick to operator. It most often tries to kick to the side... I have over a decade running these machines... I tell all ground crew before they are cranked up that it is both the operator and non-operators responsibilty to make sure no one is ever within 8 feet of an operator and brush cutter...

Brent
Old November 16, 2010, 01:26 PM   #22
Gbro

I visited with my friend the other day and he is healing well and in good spirits.
One thing to remember with the gauard, and yes the gaurd was in place, it is to keep debris from the cutting from coming back at the operator.
In this instance the nut was stripped out. When the blade drops off the shaft the gaurd can do nothing to prevent it from going any place it can.
Whe the accident happened all he felt was a burning sensation and didn't know what was wrong until he stepped back.
The lower end of the tib fib was cut and after surgury he is short about 1/3rd of this lower leg.
It also was his choise to not seek reattachment because of the odds of a fully functional leg was very low, so he said to toss it.