The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 15, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
bearbong

185 grain vs. 155 grain???????

I am in the process of choosing the 40 caliber load that I will carry when I begin doing PPO work. I tried the 155 grain speer gold dot, and I also fired some magnatech 185 grain for cheaper repitition. I figured the 185 grain would make the 155 grain feel much smoother and be good practice. I don't know if was just me, but the 155 grain seemed to have much more jump to it. Is that due to the quality of powder? I'd love to practice soley with gold dot, but that is price prohibitiive. any suggestions to train more effectively would be appreciated.
Old March 15, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

if you reload you can try out the rainer HP's.

Also, in my .40S&W guns I have owned (don't own any now)I used federal hydra shok and speer gold dots.

Also the 165gr variety are good as well as the 135gr variety

just experiment until you find the right bullet/weight for your gun.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old March 15, 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
bearbong

thank you! I'll try the federal, too.
Old March 15, 2008, 08:36 PM   #4
slick slidestop

I like the 165 Gr Gold dots in 40.
Old March 27, 2008, 06:50 PM   #5
bikerbill

don't train with hollowpoints ... I always take two mags of my carry ammo with me to the range, to make sure the gun still feeds them and to remember how they feel ... I also take two boxes of FMJ's which are far cheaper. Use the same weight bullet and you get similar accuracy, all things being equal. Again, all things being equal, I prefer heavier bullets. just MHO ...
Old April 13, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
HogManMagnum

yeah practicing with jhp rounds is not cost-effective. after i run a 50 rd box or so of my chosen self defense rounds thru my gun to make sure they feed reliably i just take about 10 or so rounds to the range every so often to make sure they still get along with me and my gun

that said, i also have a .40 and i've noticed i tend to be more accurate with the 180gr rds than with the 155gr rds although i havent been able to get back to the range to further test that out. i have 2 boxes of hornady TAP FPD jhp rds, one in 155gr and one in 180gr and im going to see which one im more comfortabe with recoil and accuracy wise. the winner becomes my new SD ammo. im hoping my original felling was right and the 180gr shoots better for me since range rounds seem to be more readily available in 180gr and i like practicing with the same weight as i keep for defense. unfortunalty the lighter, faster 155 & 165gr loads are better stoppers, but ill take accuracy and ease of follow up shots over a one shot stop any day. also it appears the lighter bullets have more of a tendancy to overpenetrate in the event of a miss... ill repost once i get back to the range

btw Bearbong, did u mean 185gr or 180gr? cuz i havent seen any 185gr .40 cal loads... also cabelas online has a great deal on winchester ranger 155gr 14.99 per 50bx
Old April 13, 2008, 02:16 PM   #7
GoSlash27

IM (completely ameteur) O,
You can't go far wrong with a heavier slower bullet where hollowpoints are concerned. They just seem to perform more consistently.
Could be wrong and wouldn't be the first time