The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 23, 2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Jeremy

Suppressors

What exactly has to be done to obtain a Suppressor?(legally) What are some good brands of suppressors? Thanks
Old July 23, 2006, 02:40 PM   #2
shaggy

Suppressors are not legal in all states, but if they are the process is basically the same:

1. Find FFL/SOT dealer in your state (a "class 3 dealer")
2. If buying an NFA weapon like a suppressor from an individual or dealer in another state, it will first have to be transfered to your dealer.
3. Once you dealer has it in his possession, you fill out a BATFE form 4 (in duplicate) and get a signoff from the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer - usually the sheriff or chief of police in the jurisdiction of your residence).
4. Get two FBI fingerprint cards from the dealer and get fingerprinted when you go in to your CLEO for the signoff.
5. Complete a BATFE US citizenship certification form.
6. Make out a check for $200 for the transfer tax.
Send the $200 check, the two fingerprint cards, the two copies of the form 4, and the US citizenship form all to BATFE.
7. Wait.
8. Wait some more.
9. About 2-3 months later your dealer will receive ONE copy of the form 4 back from BATFE with a $200 stamp affixed. You can now take the suppressor home - its yours.
10. Place your copy of the original stamped form 4 is a very safe place (like a safe deposit box) and make copies of the form to keep with the suppressor at all times.

Theres a lot of good manufacturers - I'd recommend starting with www.gem-tech.com
Old July 23, 2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Jeremy

Alright thanks. If I were to buy an M9 to put a Suppressor on would I have to have anything done to the handgun so that it could mount?
Old July 23, 2006, 03:17 PM   #4
shaggy

You'd need to either have the barrel threaded or buy a spare barrel and have that threaded. Depending upon the diameter of the "can", you may also want to buy taller sights or an optic - due to the diameter of some suppressors, you often cannot use the normal sights. And just make sure the suppressor you buy is made to work on the M9.

Above all, before you even get to the purchase decision, I'd suggest you make sure they are legal in your state and see if your CLEO will give you a sign-off. If not legal in your state, you're SOL. If you can't get a CLEO signoff, they are ways to get around it, but it does get more expensive and involved.
Old July 23, 2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Jeremy

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there legal here. What do you mean "ways to get around it"?
Old July 23, 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
MisterPX

You can form a corporation, however, cans must be legal in your state. What state are you in, since "I'm pretty sure" ain't really gonna cut it.
Old July 23, 2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Jeremy

I live in Arkansas. I say "I'm pretty sure" because I'm not willing to state something that I have gotten from a document that may or may not be correct. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu...st/nfa_faq.txt What do you mean by "form a corperation"? If you don't mind informing me, how does that work exactly?
Old July 23, 2006, 05:02 PM   #8
shaggy

If suppressors are legal in your state, but you cannot get the CLEO to give you a signoff, you can form a corporation. By forming a corp, you are not subject to the CLEO signoff requirement or the fingerprinting requirement. The downside is that you absolutely must keep the corporation alive and current - including paying any and all annual fees, filing taxes, etc. If you allow the corporation to lapse for any reason, your possession of the NFA weapon becomes illegal and you can be charged with felony possession of an unregistered NFA weapon. (remember the corporation is the real owner - not you)
Old July 23, 2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Jeremy

So you're telling me if I formed a corperation, as the owner of the corperation, I do not own the NFA weapons?
Old July 23, 2006, 05:34 PM   #10
shaggy

The corporation would be the legal owner, but of course, you could own the corporation (through your stock). The salient point being, however, that the corporation would be the registered owner of the suppressor - that is the corporation would be listed on the NFRTR (National Firearms Registry and Transfer Record). As the sole stockholder of the corporation you could write the bylaws so you (in the position as an officer of director of the corporation) could possess the registered weapons, but the corporation would still own them. Thus if the corporate entity lapsed for any reason you (as an individual) would then be in possession of an unregistered NFA weapon not registered to you.
Old July 23, 2006, 06:17 PM   #11
Jeremy

Why thank you Mr. Shaggy.
Old August 2, 2006, 07:16 PM   #12
mrseven70

Arkansas Suppressors

Arkansas is a Class 3 state. You can own a suppressor there. email me for a dealer in NE Arkansas. He sells Advanced Armament Suppressors.You might be able to find someone in LR that carries Gem-Tec or Knights.
Old August 2, 2006, 07:19 PM   #13
dkb2003

if you could only see my mac-11....its to die for
Old August 2, 2006, 08:07 PM   #14
Hkmp5sd

Instead of forming a corporation, you can form a Trust. It also alllows you to skip CLEO/fingerprints/photos and is easier to maintain.
Old August 2, 2006, 09:10 PM   #15
Glennster

How do you form a trust or a corp., do you need a lawyer to do that?
Old August 3, 2006, 09:54 PM   #16
Hkmp5sd

You can for a trust using Quicken Willmaker Plus.
Old October 19, 2007, 08:40 PM   #17
Florida Gun Lawyer

Warnings about Quicken for Gun Trusts

Most people seem to be using Quicken to set up generic trusts. Although you probably know how to transfer a c3 (class 3) weapon correctly, the real problem is when or if you are unable to be the trustee. will the next trustee, perhaps a family member or friend, and the beneficiary ( in the case of your death) know what needs to be done, or will they just give the gun to the beneficiary?

A gun trust with specific NFA language adds a level of instructions and gives the trustee the ability to reject items not transfered correctly. This can protect your family, and friends from criminal and civil penalties.

http://www.floridaestateplanninglawyerblog.com/
http://www.woodatter.com/