The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2008, 07:18 PM   #1
sgtwebb1

Coupla Newbie questions--.270 loads

Haven't even got my stuff yet, and already I'm asking questions!!

First, a bit about myself.

45 years old, East Tennessean, been shooting since I was old enough to see.
Army Ranger for 6 years, got a lot of trigger time there. Shot some competitively in ROTC and in the Army, might take it up again.
Avid hunter and shooter.

Just bought a Lee Anniversary set, Lee Deluxe die set, couple other things, including 100 rounds of Federal brass. Waiting on it to arrive.
Looking over plans for a basic but sturdy bench to build.

Just joined the local Rifle Club, 1/2 mile from my house.

Question #1. What's a good powder for the .270? Been reading Nosler Manual, thinking about RL 19 or 22.

Question #2. What primer size?

Plan on using the 150 grn Ballistic Silvertip bullets from Combined Technologies, the Model 70 loves them in factory load, I figure it's as good a place to start as any.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 2, 2008, 07:47 PM   #2
TexasSeaRay

How-do (Texan for "howdy"),

I'm in the process of teaching someone all about reloading, and he's starting with a .270 same as you. And, he also bought the Lee Anniversary Kit.

You're pretty much set to go with that kit, except that I would STRONGLY urge you to buy some calipers. Overall case length is very important with long gun reloading. I'd also advise getting a powder trickler. Consistency is what you're looking for when reloading for accuracy.

The powder I'm starting my "student" off with is IMR 4350. We're using CCI large rifle primers (but NOT magnum) and Hornady SST 150 grain bullets. I believe we're starting with a powder charge of around 54 grains.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 2, 2008, 07:47 PM   #3
mniesen89

welcome,I generally use IMR4064 powder with my 150gr loads,for primers I have been sticking with CCI Large Rifle. I was out of ft.lewis,WA. Ranger Bat.
Old March 2, 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Gbro

I use just exactly what the Searay is using. I do like those SST's
Good luck Ranger.(I cherish the memory of Ranger week back in '72)
Old March 2, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
firechicken

I've had good luck with the 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, IMR4350, and Remington 9 1/2 primers. I've tried a few 150's, but not enough to do any real testing. My Remington 700 seems to like the Speer 90gr TNT HP for a varmint type load also.

Quote:
The powder I'm starting my "student" off with is IMR 4350. We're using CCI large rifle primers (but NOT magnum) and Hornady SST 150 grain bullets. I believe we're starting with a powder charge of around 54 grains.
You might want to double check that load before using as a starting load. IMR lists 51.6gr MAXIMUM for a 150gr bullet.
Old March 2, 2008, 10:28 PM   #6
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken
You might want to double check that load before using as a starting load. IMR lists 51.6gr MAXIMUM for a 150gr bullet.
Yes, sir. You be right.

Went out and looked at my notes and data. A little juxtaposing between bullets and calibers.

The box of bullets I picked up for him are Hornady SST 130 grain--and our starting load with IMR 4350 will be 51 grains, moving up towards 54.5. We're going to do an overall length of 3.188 to try and get that particular bullet as close to the grooves as possible.

With the 150 grain Hornady SST bullets, we'll still be using IMR 4350, but with a starting load of 48.5 working up to 51.0. The overall length for that bullet that we're shooting for will be 3.287 if my measurements are correct.

We're looking for between 2900 and 2950 fps from the 130 grain bullets, and around 2780 from the 150 grain bullets.

I've seen the boy (young adult--26 years old) shoot this gun with factory ammo, and he can keep his groups at/under one-inch at 100 meters. This guy is one helluva good shot. The gun is a Remington 700. Not sure what kind of scope it is, but it's freaking ancient--but it's also freaking dead-on.

Our goal is to first match the groups he gets from factory--then best 'em.

Good catch on my powder error--that's what happens when you start getting old and try to rely on the "off the top of my head" recollections.

Jeff

Old March 3, 2008, 12:03 AM   #7
winchester243

I've been pleased with the results I get with a 130g Nosler Balistic Tip with H4831SC
Old March 4, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8
jamaica

I highly recommend 4831 powder for the 270.

I have tried some faster burning powders and find that they come up to excessive pressures too fast for my liking.

Use Large Rifle primers. I like CCI.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:43 AM   #9
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
I highly recommend 4831 powder for the 270.
That is the second powder we're going to add to our load data. I've heard a lot of good things about it in the .270.

We started with 4350 because the guy I'm teaching also has a .308 and a 30-06. 4350 can be used in all of those.

Once we get his loading down consistent, we'll look to powders specific (or at least moreso) for the calibers.

Jeff

Old March 4, 2008, 12:35 PM   #10
ForneyRider

Been loading brother's Husqvarna in .270 Winchester.

Large rifle primers and large rifle magnum primers can be used depending on situation. I have been using large rifle primers without issue. I've used Remington, CCI, Federal, and Winchester primers. A few anvils fell out of the CCI that were 20+ years old. Other than that, I've had no issues with any of them.

We use 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 130gr Hornady SST. We are getting slightly better accuracy with the Noslers. Either gets <1MOA groups.

The SST have a cannelure, the Ballistic Tips don't.

55gr IMR 4350 or 55gr Reloder 19. These are close to max. for published load data.

I was able to use the Reloder 19 in a quick powder measure, whereas the IMR 4350 wasn't consistent in the measure, so we had to use scale and a powder trickler. Both are excellent powders.

Velocity with these powder charges is ~3050fps. Hornady factory 270 ammo, called light magnum, is around ~3200fps in 130gr. Another Hornady 130gr factory load is ~3050fps.

For setting the bullet seating depth, using the cannelure of the SST or using a factory round as template is pretty good place to start.

Get a reloading book with load data. Ammo supply shops have some free booklets with load data from Powder manufacturers. Several of the component manufacturers have load data on their websites.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:36 PM   #11
sgtwebb1

thanks guys, looks like I came to the right place.
Old March 5, 2008, 10:36 AM   #12
gun44

H 4831sc

I also like H 4831SC powder in the .270. I use it with a speer 130 gr. BTSP, and according to my Chronograph, it averages about 2950 fps, and will place one half inch at 100 yds. I have killed several deer with this load, and none of them moved out of their tracks.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:06 PM   #13
Slamfire

The 270 is not real picky about powder. Not real picky about bullets, and is capable for providing match rifle accuracy, but no one uses it as a match cartridge. As for powders, I have used IMR 4064 with great success, and I have some load data with H4350. My load is mild and could be bumped up. I think one extra grain and a 24” barrel and I could have gotten close to 3000 fps.

It is my opinion that the best bullet for the 270 is a 130 grain bullet. You get such a good balance of speed and accuracy and killing power. The 130 grain bullet at 3000 fps has an excellent reputation for stopping deer and shoots quite flat. Another plus is that it does not kick hard.

Hey, everyone flinches, the less kick, the less the “kick memory” and the less the flinch. All Good.

Jack O’Connor promoted IMR 4831 because of the good velocities he got. I know a number of folks who use IMR 4064 and any of the 4350’s, H4350, IMR 4350 and AA4350, will shoot just great in this caliber.

I don’t have any RL powders, just pick one that is in the 4350 burn rate and you will be OK.

M70 Featherweight 22” Barrel

130 grain Nosler BT 55.0 grains H4350 wtd R-P cases WLF OAL 3.30"
24-Mar-04 T = 70 °F
Ave Vel = 2839
Std Dev = 33
ES = 123
Low = 2784
High = 2907
N = 19