The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 20, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Venom1956

Prevent Bluing from wearing off?

hey guys I'm looking to do small modifications to some of pistols.

Mainly adding thinner front blades for more accurate shooting. I am curious do you ever place some sort of 'buffer' between the blade and barrel to prevent the sight from damaging the bluing? Such as my new mark2 sight base is thinner and longer then the factory sight and there are two small lines where it rested on the barrel that are visible with the new sight. but on the others it may be reversed...

I remember reading about something similar for scopes and rings? people can place felt, if i remember correctly, to prevent the rings from marking up the scope tube?

Currently I have a small piece of electrical tape stuck to the bottom of the sight so it rests between it and the barrel for a temporary measure until the sight base is cut down. but I am unsure if this is a viable solution because of the adhesive heats up from firing and comes in contact with the barrel.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 20, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2
publius

I suppose you could use a verey thin piece of plastic sheet, cut to size. Since replacing the entire sight base on something like a MKII is really a semi-permanent thing I wouldn't worry about it. It is something that will never be seen and the factory doesn't do it so I wouldn't. The only thing I would address replacing the sight would be rust. I would put a good coat of grease where the sight contacts the barrel.