The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Smaug

Help me pick a good non-1911 45 for range use.

I've got a 1911 already, and I don't really want another. I don't think they quite live up to the hype, so rather than get another, more expensive 1911, I think I'll get something modern.

The gun will be for range use and maybe home defense, but not for carry, so size doesn't matter.

It has to be a 45; I just like the cartridge and I already hand-load for it.

Other handguns I've got: Daly Hi-Power in 9mm, Para GI Expert 1911 in 45, S&W 625 5" in 45 ACP, Ruger Redhawk 7.5" in 44 Magnum, Ruger SP-101 3" in 357 Magnum, Ruger Mk. II Target, Browning Buck Mark 5.5 Contour.

I've also had a Ruger P90, which I guess is the gun this new one will replace:

(I sold it and bought the SP-101) I loved the reliability of the P90, and it was mechanically accurate, but the trigger made the accuracy not so easy to obtain.

From shooting the Redhawk, I find that the longer sight radius is a huge help. I find that I really prefer longer barrels for range guns, so I'll be looking for a minimum of a 4" barrel; more is better, up to around 6".

I would like a DA/SA pistol with adjustable sights and an action that can be cocked and locked. I would like a higher capacity magazine than 8 rounds of my 1911 or 7 rounds of my old P90.

Next post, I'll say which guns I'm considering so far. (I don't want to run out of pictures in this post, hehehe)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old June 4, 2011, 10:55 AM   #2
TBT

I think checking out the M&P45 would be beneficial if the DA/SA angle isn't overly important.
Old June 4, 2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Oldjarhead

Sig Sauer P220. Good pistol. Proven reliability.
Old June 4, 2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Smaug

The ones I'm considering so far:

EAA Witness Hunter. I like the looks of this gun, I like how the slide rides inside the rails, and the nice long barrel. I bet it has a great trigger too. Anyone shot one? I don't know how much these cost, but probably about $1000, right?

HK USP Expert. I've shot one of these once, and it was brilliant. Smooth DA trigger, clean SA trigger, soft recoil. The only problem is the price, but I think I can get a used one for about $1000. Longer barrel, adjustable sights, and the ability to leave it cocked and locked.

Beretta Storm. I've shot one of these too, and I was mightily impressed. DA trigger was smooth and of medium weight. SA was crisp, and soft recoil, due to the rotary recoil action. I don't think it can be cocked and locked though, and it only has a 4" barrel. But these are $600 new, and less used.

CZ97.

I've read nothing but good things about these, the only thing that concerns me is the size. I've got medium-small hands, so this might be a stretch. For reference, a Glock 21 is about the biggest grip I can comfortably handle. 1911 is about right too, but I'm not sure I could handle a double stack 1911.

My wife says the Beretta and this are the nicest looking. I think the CZ97 and EAA Hunter are the best looking. I think any of them are going to be great shooters. Does this have the typical gritty DA trigger of CZ75s?

I'm interested in downsides too, so don't be shy about pointing them out, even if you own the gun.

Are there any others I should consider? I wonder if I could get a Luger in 45 ACP in this price range... I love Lugers.

- Eric Hoffer
Old June 4, 2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Smaug

Just so we have pix of the contenders:

Sig Sauer P220:

S&W M&P 45:

I don't mind a "Safe Action" trigger, as long as it breaks cleanly and isn't too heavy. (maybe 5 lbs. max.) I've read the M&Ps don't have the greatest triggers, and I don't think they're available with adjustable sights, so I'll probably rule that one out.

I think I read that there's a P220 version that is SAO; that doesn't sound bad. Is there a DA/SA version that can be cocked & locked?

- Eric Hoffer

Last edited by Smaug; June 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added another view of the P220 Match
Old June 4, 2011, 11:30 AM   #6
sigcurious

There are DA/SA p220s, but no cocked and locked, sigs mostly come with a fancy decocker and no traditional safety. They also make a DAK version of(most sigs) the p220, which has an optional short reset unlike traditional DAO systems. The p250 is also available in .45, but it has a spurless hammer and is traditional DAO.
Old June 4, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
warpig602

Quote:
There are DA/SA p220s, but no cocked and locked
False....I jsut sold 2, single action only 220's, one standadrd and one compact.
Old June 4, 2011, 11:43 AM   #8
scottycoyote

for just plain shooting i love the hk's, usp 45 or maybe 45 expert
Old June 4, 2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Smaug

M&P 45 is not available with the 5" barrel, but the 9mm is.

- Eric Hoffer
Old June 4, 2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Fargazer

I would recommend the Beretta Px4 in .45. It shoots softer than most .45 caliber pistols, and has excellent design - easy to field strip, and the rotary locking breech mechanism. My wife and I own both the sub compact and full size in 9mm. I did a bit of modification on the full sized gun, and changed it from a "F" model (safety and decocker) to a "G" model (decocker only).

The Sig Sauer P220 is also great, and shoots easily. It's the pride, joy, and carry pistol of one of our local LEOs who also works and teaches at the local gun store. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Eventually I will pick up a couple .45s for regular shooting - one 1911, and one of different design. I haven't decided on the 1911 yet (want to see Ruger's SR1911 in person), but the other will definitely be one of the two above - probably the Beretta since we already have two pistols and the carbine in the Storm line.
Old June 4, 2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Wyosmith

Springfield XD or CZ 97 are both VERY good.
Old June 4, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
gunsrtools

3 you can't go wrong with:

Glock 21

Sig P220

H&K USP 45

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old June 4, 2011, 12:29 PM   #13
LarryFlew

Even being a CZ fan attic I'd go for the Witness in 45. Just liked it a lot more than 97B.
Old June 4, 2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Mr.RevolverGuy

LarryFlew your crushing my spirits cmon CZ97 with steel guide rod is what you need, I love mine and you talking about easy to shoot at 25 yards. It is time for me to update this review I did here. Mine will eat anything hollow point included.
CZ97 Review

CZ97 Test with 185gr hollow base
Old June 4, 2011, 01:19 PM   #15
DBLAction454

HK USP .45
Old June 4, 2011, 01:19 PM   #16
Crunchy Frog

Another pistol that fits your requirements is the FNP-45. It comes in a couple of different configurations.

I don't have any personal experience with them but they are made in my home state so they have to be good!
Old June 4, 2011, 01:32 PM   #17
sigcurious

Quote:
False....I jsut sold 2, single action only 220's, one standadrd and one compact.
I was referring to the DA/SA models not the SAO, as far as I know the da/sa, dont have a traditional safety that allows cocked and locked.
Old June 4, 2011, 02:00 PM   #18
Mr.Blue

From what you've described, the FNP-45 USG sounds perfect for you. I have one and love it. Accurate, sturdy as a tank, and soft shooting. I put Trijicon night sights on mine and it is even better. Be advised, it is a big handgun. Make sure it fits your hands and is comfortable to shoot.
Old June 4, 2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Dashunde

Perhaps do what I'm going to do... sell my Para and pick up a Dan Wesson Valor.

Anyway, that HK Expert looks like a great range partner.

Last edited by Dashunde; June 5, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old June 4, 2011, 06:58 PM   #20
M4BGRINGO

I held the FNP-45, it fits my hands nice, but wouldn't be good for someone with small hands.

I love my S&W 625, nice feel to that gun. I have a Springfield Armory 1911, it is also a very good shooter.

I want to try a Px4 and see what it is like to shoot.
Old June 4, 2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Mercenary

XD or XDm

13+1 of 45 in either. Same grip angle as the 1911. Match grade barrel on the XDm. Both can be found under $600.

The FNP-45 is nice too. 15+1 of 45 ACP
Old June 4, 2011, 07:28 PM   #22
Micahweeks

I throw in with FN and their FNP-45. I've had amazing experiences with FN and their products.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:01 PM   #23
mmb713

EAA Witness Elite Match. Mine has been extremely accurate and flawless. Good looking gun too.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:55 PM   #24
armsmaster270

Another vote for the Sig 220.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:21 PM   #25
Sevens

I have the Witness Match, but mine is in 9mm. Trigger is great for a double stack 9mm pistol, but it's not as nice as a decent 1911 trigger. It's two-way adjustable but the only one I bother with is the over-travel stop, which, IMO, makes a BIG difference in trigger feel.

Also, it's single action only, which I like, and is cocked & locked capable. At first, this didn't matter to me because it's to be a range & target gun, not for carry. But now I realize that if I ever do any sport shooting with it, or use it in some semi-formal shoots, it must be C&L capable and not double action capable lest they force me to begin each drill with the hammer down and a l-o-n-g ugly DA trigger pull. Because of that, I'm thrilled with this one being single action only.

The genius in the Witness Match is that you get an accurate, nicely fitted and finished pistol that had a great trigger... and you get it all for well under six hundred bucks. I wanted it for a long time and now that I have it, it's delivering just what I'd hoped.

The fact that you have a 1911 and you aren't impressed with it may be real to you, but from my seat, sounds to me like you are handicapping yourself greatly by dismissing the platform. Yeah, they won't get you the capacity... but if your biggest "wants" are great trigger and accurate, you are killing yourself by wiping out the entire platform.

Another suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is the long gone Smith & Wesson 745. Pretty sure that one is single action only and can be cocked & locked. I would imagine it's quite accurate. I think it's only a single stack, so no big capacity... but you've mentioned having small-to-medium hands, so big capacity in .45 and small grip is asking a lot.

Just one last thing... every time someone buys an HK USP, a puppy dies.