The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 1, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Pointer

XD mag failure?

I recently heard from some comp types that they have had or have seen a serious problem with the MAGAZINES for the XD.

One story was that when dropping a partial mag in mid-shoot...
They have spewed out the reamaining rounds upon impact with the ground...

This could only happen if the "mag-lips" were worn out, or loose, or a factory defect...

What have you heard about these MAGAZINES.
That's the MAGAZINES only... please

30-06 FOREVER
Old July 1, 2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Boondoggie

I have seen this very thing happened during a recent IDPA match, the gentlemen was shooting an XD in 9mm. He inadvertently 'dropped' the mag during a tact reload, and two or three rounds came flying out.

He was using high cap mags by Springfield.

Sorry that all the info I have for you, I didn't get into a long conversation with him other then to ask if he was using factory mags.
Old July 1, 2006, 11:51 AM   #3
308Enfield

The only problem I've had with my XD-45, which might be mags or might be the loading ramp or action, is that it won't feed Blazer brass ammo. I had some that was given to me and it jammed up every other round and was just a mess. Fortunately, my friend I was shooting with had some .45 ACP from Georgia Arms that my XD digested just fine, and his Glock would eat the Blazer, so we swapped.
Old July 1, 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
RevolverLover

I haven't had any problems with my XD mags
Old July 1, 2006, 02:48 PM   #5
springmom

only one problem

And that is that the blinking spring is so tight I can't get the full eleven rounds into the thing. Ten plus one is the max, even after a year. Or I have weenie weak thumbs, also a possibility.

Otherwise, no problems at all.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old July 1, 2006, 04:36 PM   #6
TexasCop

I havent' had any problems with my XD-45 or XD-40 mags.

Had the 40 for 4 years, shoot it about 6 times a year, and the 45 for the last 3 months and have shot it twice.
Old July 1, 2006, 06:06 PM   #7
kansas45

I've put over 3000 round's through my Xd45ACP Tactical since the 1st of April. I load both of the mags & use each of them equally. I have not had any problem's. I will buy some more when I find a good after market company that is making them. If I can't, then I will get the S/A orginals. They seem to be pretty good.
Old July 1, 2006, 06:59 PM   #8
Boondoggie

Quote:
One story was that when dropping a partial mag in mid-shoot...
Guys, and I hope nobody takes offense at that term, I think you have all missed the point. I believe that if you use the magazine as they are intended, i.e. drop empty mag on floor, there is no reason to believe that they will not load, feed or function properly.

The question is, has anyone dropped a 1/2 empty mag on the ground? (would seem like a silly thing to do...) and what were the results?

Pointer, sorry if I stepped on any toes...
Old July 2, 2006, 05:02 PM   #9
snolden

I drop some empty mags (xd45 hi cap) on the ground during my personal weekly training. I had one time where the body bent enough that the next time I went to eject THAT spent mag, it would NOT drop free. A little gentle (seriously, no hammers) peening on the side of a wooden table fixed it no problem. This occurred on the front part of the mag that slopes in toward the lips on the left hand side of the mag.

So from that, I do have concerns about the durability of these mags. But are they less reliable than other semi's? NO.

Just as always, TEST YOUR GEAR ON A REGULAR BASIS. this is not new advice. If you don't check it it will fail you. Even a revolver can build up enough gunk to stop working without regular TESTing.
Old July 2, 2006, 06:55 PM   #10
The Body Bagger

About 7 of my fellow officers who chose the XD as their duty weapon had all their mags replaced free of charge from SA. Apparently SA is aware of the problems as our guys just threw out their old ones as they were instructed to from SA when the new ones came in.
Old July 3, 2006, 03:11 AM   #11
Frenchy

I'll test my XD-45 today with partally loaded mags and see what happens.
Old July 5, 2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Pointer

Quote:
The question is, has anyone dropped a 1/2 empty mag on the ground? (would seem like a silly thing to do...) and what were the results?

Pointer, sorry if I stepped on any toes...
No Problem...

At first blush it would seem to be a stupid thing...
However, in tactical type cometitions it is required to simulate a lull in the gunfight and take advantage of "re-filling" the gun at the most opportune moment...
Quote:
mags replaced free of charge from SA. Apparently SA is aware of the problems
I glad to know the problems have been corrected... or are correctable.

Thank you all for your input...

30-06 FOREVER