The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 21, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1
mrappe

Opinnions wanted on C&B Pistol loading presses

I know that there are several out there. Which ones do you like and why. I need to get one if I switch my SASS shooting to C&B pistols.

Last edited by mrappe; September 21, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old September 21, 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

IMNSHO, they are an unnecessary expense. With that said, here is a post from the past that may be of interest to you.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+loading+stand
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 21, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Here where Fingers and I part ways

I used to didn't like a press feeling, as Fingers does, that it was a waste of time and money.

Then I stopped to think about the stress one places on the revolver when loading with the lever. I know that revolvers are designed to be loaded with the lever but that does not mean the stress disappears. Not so bad in a Remington or similar. But in a Colt, all of the force pulls on the arbor.

My thought on presses is that they should fit in your shooting box. Apart from that I don't have an opinion or preference.

Fingers has been doing this a lot more than I have and I in no way question his wisdom or experience.
Old September 21, 2011, 09:46 PM   #4
bigminnow

Triple P Loader

So I assume the Triple P Loader is no longer available...??
Old September 22, 2011, 11:40 AM   #5
orangello

I have and like the RAI loading press. I am no engineer, but i didn't want to goof up the pretty lever on my Remington. I bought it shortly after buying my first C&B revolver, mainly to keep the gun looking nicer. Disclaimer: I don't have the experience of the guys above.

I can't get my link to Richardson Airmotive (sp) that makes or made the RAI that i have. It has a lever & a cam that smoothly drive the lil piston to press the ball home.
Old September 22, 2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Legionnaire

It's my understanding that RAI is defunct; don't remember where I picked that up, but when I was looking to purchase a press I saw something to that effect.

I ended up with one of Dick Dastardly's Tower of Power presses. It has worked very well with my 1858 Remington and Ruger Old Armies, but the second base pin is too small for my Colt Walker cylinder. I need to contact Dick about that, or cobble up my own. Can't give you any comparisons, as this is the only one I have ever used, but I like it thus far.
Old September 22, 2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Noz

Unnecessary
Old September 22, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
WCW

I have one of those ‘cheapies’ from Cabela’s. I think it’s made by Traditions. I actually like it, and it works just fine. I have an extra cylinder for my Remington, and what I like about the loader is I can do a lot more shooting in a day since I find it’s faster than reloading with the loading lever on the pistol. It also allows me to give the cylinder pin a swipe of lube when I swap out cylinders and that keeps everything running very smoothly.

The downside is it does take up some room in my shooting box, and it’s not something I would drag around anywhere but to the range. It’s not a necessary item by any means, but I find it handy for range use.
Old September 22, 2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Hardcase

I just have one of those wooden "T" type stands that I put the revolver in. I don't have any extra cylinders. For me, that works just fine - I'm not in much of a hurry when I shoot and I usually end up doing at least as much talking as shooting because whenever I show up with black powder stuff, all the tacticool and high powered hunting guys come around to see what's making all the smoke.
Old September 22, 2011, 04:34 PM   #10
wittzo

Half the accessories we have for our pistols is "unnecessary" but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy them.

I don't use my press for my Colt pistols, and use it occasionally on my Remington cylinders, but it's really useful for my Ruger. I have a 3rd party cylinder pin for it. It's less trouble to pull out the press than to put the loading lever back together on it.
Old September 22, 2011, 07:05 PM   #11
mykeal

I have the Powder, Inc. unit and am very satisfied with it.
http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/c...yl_loader.html
I can't provide any comparisons with other designs - I just know this one works for me, several guns, .36 & .44.
Old September 22, 2011, 07:13 PM   #12
freedom475

If you have more than one cylinder then I think the loaders are the Only Way To Go!.. super fast, no hassel and easier on your guns loading lever. Especially if you shoot the Rem58

I have used several of them and this one is by far the best one I have tried...(OK so the link won't work so here is the key word search..."Dick Dastardly Tower of Power Loader"

It looks pretty big in the picture, but when I got it I was surprised at how compact it is. The brass bushings make it run nice and smooth.

Hope this helps.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Last edited by freedom475; September 25, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:29 PM   #13
troy_mclure

i just got a traditions one from cabellas. the ram measures .460. much to big to do anything with, so i will be returning it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old September 22, 2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Ideal Tool

Hello,mrappe. I built one out of a discarded very small arbor press. The only reason I built it was I couldn't load the Lyman 450229 hollow base into the cyl. of the 1980's era Colt 1860 army.
There is one very important advantage of a press that far outweighs any ease of loading..that is if the press has a positive adj. stop. That is uniformity. It is almost impossible to seat all bullets exactly to same depth by feel.
When I loaded the conical hollow-base over 18.0gr. 3FG Goex, and a Super-Grex filler, That gun grouped 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25yds.
Something it had never even come close to doing before.
Old September 25, 2011, 12:04 AM   #15
mrappe

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Some of the links Posted don't work so they might not be available anymore. I can get by with out one but I think it would be helpfull to have one anyway. Less strain on the gun, better control of seating depth etc. I am not in a hurry so I guess I am not in a hurry to get one so I will continue to look.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Smokin'Joe

Make one:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435223
Old September 26, 2011, 12:11 AM   #17
bigminnow

Loader

I got one of the Traditions and it is very basic...

Then I got one of the http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/c...yl_loader.html

...and I use it all the time. I'll use the gun loading lever if I'm ever out and need to load and don't have the black dawg loader with me.

I have several extra cylinders and it's easy to load them using the loader.

I'm going to fit a spring or something to it so the lever will stay up until I pull it down.