The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
n1catastrophe

What would be a good price for my Glock 27 Gen 4 and Walther PPQ M2?

150 rounds through the glock
50 through the PPQ

LGS said they sell on consignment but I never did that before so I don't know what to expect.

I really planned on getting a glock 19 from them but don't know which gun I should sell to get it.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

you are selling a PPQ for a Glock 19....

You are the first I have read to do that...
Old April 3, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
n1catastrophe

not necessarily. I am mainly just checking what I could get. TBH, I am mainly looking to change my 27 out for a 19. 27 may be too small but it really depends on what I could get for it.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
TunnelRat

On consignment I'd put a price of $450 if you want it to move with any speed. Could try $500 if you really felt lucky. The dealer should be able to give you an idea what he sees used ones go for.

There's really no harm in setting a price, if it doesn't sell just lower the price...
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 3, 2013, 03:49 PM   #5
n1catastrophe

I really hate to lose so much on it. I enjoy the 27 and shoot it pretty darn accurately for someone pretty new to shooting handguns.

But I am curious about carrying 15 rounds instead of 8 (9 is really tight in my 27 magazines). I think that may be a better gun to carry for me. That's really my main concern. It seems the G19 isn't much bigger than the 27 when looking at the specs on the Glock site.

I haven't shot the PPQ enough with only having 50 rounds through it. I am sure I would like it even more but I don't think its a carry gun for me.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
I really hate to lose so much on it.
What did you pay? Shouldn't have been much over $550 before tax.

I noticed you had similar comments on your thread about the HK USP. I'm going to let you in on something, you generally lose money trading guns you bought new. Heck Glocks are great in that you can generally get so much of it back. You're not going to get brand new price for it. If I go to a dealership right now, buy a car, drive it off the lot and down the road and try to resell it, I won't get what I paid for it. Why would folks pay close to full price for a used gun when they could just get a new one?

Last edited by TunnelRat; April 3, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
n1catastrophe

I paid 680 for my PPQ about a week ago.

I paid 620 for my Glock 27 about 2 weeks ago.

Sold my USP .45 Compact for $850 (plus a .40 glock mag)

How much could I get a 19 for? The flat dark earth one at my LGS is 620 IIRC.

Edit - No I understand how quickly it all drops. It's ridiculous. I just feel 450 is too much of a drop for me to accept. $170 drop for only 2 weeks of owning and 150 rounds.

I got 850 for the USP that I bought for 900.....7 years ago...maybe 8
Old April 3, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
I paid 680 for my PPQ about a week ago.

I paid 620 for my Glock 27 about 2 weeks ago.
Are these before tax prices? Those are very high, even given the craziness.

Quote:
I got 850 for the USP that I bought for 900.....7 years ago...maybe 8
Someone was desperate or crazy then, either way good for you!
Old April 3, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
n1catastrophe

Before taxes. I was willing to pay it so I can't judge the shop owners for markup. I didn't do much research into the prices of said guns before purchasing although I did look into the aspects of the guns and any issues people were having. Hell anytime I wasn't at work, I was watching youtube videos and reading forums about tons of different handguns.

Go figure the one thing I didn't read up much on was cost.

I love my G27. I will probably keep the PPQ and give it time to set in. 50 rounds isn't enough. I can conceal it pretty well but I feel in times where jeans and a hoodie work, a G19 presents 7 more rounds in the clip, a fuller size handle, and a smaller caliber to shoot would be much better
Old April 3, 2013, 04:41 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Go figure the one thing I didn't read up much on was cost.
If you're going to end up buying and trading/selling firearms a lot though, you really need to. It makes a huge difference in how much you lose on each transaction.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:48 PM   #11
n1catastrophe

Yeah, I am going to keep them both unless I could nab 5 for the 27. I have to figure where is a good place to order a G19. I looked on Glockmeister and I don't necessarily like the Compensated versions, not to mention a 3 month delay.

Edit - The G19 the LGS has is 620 iirc with the two tone dark earth color.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Finding anything these days is a bear. A lot of the online places are swamped. One tip is to do a google search for gun shops in your area and just call around, it's how I find a lot of firearms.

One thing to note. If that LGS you go to typically sells the Glock 27 for $620, then I would try to ask for more than $500 on consignment. The number. Again, there's no harm really. Maybe try $550? The number I gave you was based on a percentage of the retail price in my area, in this case $550 being the retail price. As a note I'd say 85% of retail price is typical for consignment, 80% might be typical for trade. If it's that new you could try 90% which works out to $558. Again if it doesn't sell lower the price or just take it off consignment, no harm really (you may have to pay a transfer fee depending on the FFL).

That's another good note. I have found different stores are...different. I know I'm a genius. But what I mean by this is there are some stores near me that have relatively low prices on firearms. But when you go in to evaluate a trade they aren't willing to give you much. There are also stores that might charge a bit more, but give you more back in trade. Trick is to buy at the cheaper stores and sell/trade at the more expensive ones.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:02 PM   #13
n1catastrophe

Well I checked on gunbroker and it seems some 23s are going for 620 as well as 19s.

I don't have many LGS around here but I will check out some more.

I didn't get the complete run down of what the LGS offers but I planned on putting whatever they give me for the G27 towards the G19. Same store I bought the 27 from to begin with. I asked if they bought used guns and he said they sell them on consignment. Do most LGS do a trade in type deal if you buy another firearm from them?
Old April 3, 2013, 05:05 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
I asked if they bought used guns and he said they sell them on consignment. Do most LGS do a trade in type deal if you buy another firearm from them?
Really depends on the store. Some do trade and consignment, some just do one or the other, some neither. Some when you do trade will give you a bonus in terms of store credit if you're going to turn around and buy something in the store as opposed to giving you straight cash. Some just give a set amount one way or the other.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:47 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

Your sunk costs are high because you bought high.

No way around that.

I would never go buy a used glock over 500.

At 100 or less, I am willing to get the benefit of being new.

$620? that is too high for a glock. That is almost the price of the rare versions (17L, 34)

Trade in is usually the worst way to go.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:57 PM   #16
tomrkba

$625 is normal around here for Gen4's.

I think you should keep those guns due to the price you paid and just save up for a Glock 19.

Used G19's in good condition go for $400-425, up to $475 with decent night sights and $450 for older night sights. Budget $450 and see what you can get since "The Panic of 2013" is almost over.

Last edited by tomrkba; April 3, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:22 PM   #17
n1catastrophe

I may just carry the PPQ when I want something a little larger.

I can always turn my 27 into a 26 right? Besides the barrel, what else would I need? And would that void any warranties?
Old April 6, 2013, 05:48 PM   #18
chuckles

Sell the Glock, keep the PPQ M2. My M2 has the sweetest trigger I've ever seen on a striker fired polymer pistol, bar none. I love mine. I only have about 300 rounds through it but it is one of the easiest guns to shoot well I've ever tried. I personally would have kept the HKU USP 45 too but then I'm pretty nuts over H&Ks. (4 now). I REALLY love that M2 though.