The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 5, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
mach1.3

Anyone buy a used Garand through CMP.org?

I was wondering if they were still selling the M-1, if they were serviceable for the price and what was the price? Are they caliber .30-06 or 7.62 NATO chamberings. Just a point of information--always wanted a Garand but not a full scale shop project. Anyone have experience with CMP?
Old December 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
30Cal

Yep. Several. They're still there. Check the website under "sales"
Old December 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
RT

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

They are good to go.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Fishbed77

There is no better place to buy a Garand than the CMP. Great prices, great rifles, and great customer service. I can not recommend them highly enough. And technically, they are not "used" since you will be the first owner of the rifle (after the US Goverment)!

This is the 1944 Springfield Armory (with like new 1954 barrel and beautiful new CMP black walnut stock) I received via mail order from the CMP earlier this year. It is a $625 Service Grade rifle.

Old December 5, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
djcantr

That's service grade?! I would be very pleased with that beautiful rifle! What separates it from the $1000+ rifles offered through CMP?
Old December 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
That's service grade?! I would be very pleased with that beautiful rifle! What separates it from the $1000+ rifles offered through CMP?
Thanks! The $625 I spent on this rifle wouldn't have went very far if I tried to buy a Garand locally. Even junkers around here can go for $1000+

The CMP has very clear explanations of the differences between the various grades of rifles on their website. Take a look here:

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

In my opinion, Service Grade represents the best value if you want a good-looking shooter in excellent mechanical condition, but are not as concerned that all parts are matching.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #7
djcantr

Did that stock come on it? It's absolutely beautiful. I saw in the description of service grade rifles that some will come with new stocks and some will come with used stocks with cracks, chips and gouges. I suppose if I got one with a really bad stock I could get a new one for around $150.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Sgt.207

Have 4 CMP Garands. Great guns.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:04 PM   #9
oldsoonershooter

I have purchased 2 from them. The first in 1995 was a service grade, but not as nice as the one above. It shoots fine and I can't even remember what I paid for it. The second was the result of an offer from CMP to purchase an M!-D. I thought it would be a good investment. It came complete with a scope and all the attachments. I paid $625.00 and I have been offered $3500 for it. Its a very nice rifle and a piece of history. I doubt that I ever sell it.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
P5 Guy

CMP Purchase

The BWT has brought three rifles to the house and one trip to the South Store. All have been better than I expected. Two M1s, one M1903A3 and the South Store purchase was a Kimber 82G.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:38 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Everyone with half a brain buys a CMP Garand as soon as they are able.

Then they buy a K31.

Then they buy at least one old Police trade in revolver. Old enough it is hand fitted with a superb trigger. Colt Police Positive, Smith Model 10, etc.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Did that stock come on it? It's absolutely beautiful. I saw in the description of service grade rifles that some will come with new stocks and some will come with used stocks with cracks, chips and gouges. I suppose if I got one with a really bad stock I could get a new one for around $150.
Yes - that stock came on it from the CMP.

Note the yellow tag I posted that came on the rifle to note grade and muzzle/throat wear, as well as the CMP cartouche above the trigger guard. I did give it a few coats of pure tung oil prior to taking those photos. The stock actually looked great right out of the box (the nice green hard case the CMP sends with all Garands that is included in the price), but was a little "dry" and I wanted to give it some protection.

Some Service Grades will come with USGI stocks, some come with new CMP birch, and some come with new CMP walnut. Obviously, the USGI stocks carry more history with them, and may have highly desirable cartouches and other markings. None of them will be in bad shape on a Service Grade rifle - but they may have some character.

That said, the new CMP stocks (especially the walnut ones) are beautiful in their own right.

Last edited by Fishbed77; December 6, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:48 AM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
Everyone with half a brain buys a CMP Garand as soon as they are able.
Then a Springfield
Then a Carbine
Then a M1917
Then a Krag

Then bayonets for each.

Then you got to build a Vintage Sniper Rifle

It never ends.

As to Police Trade In's: Did that too, a Model 64, turns out to be my #1 competition handgun.

Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a bayonet for my M-64.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Technosavant

I received my CMP Special grade Garand this week.

It's beautiful. If I didn't know better I'd think this was completely new production. I plan to oil up the stock a bit, but beyond that the thing is fantastic. The CMP Special grade is where they take a receiver (mine is December 1942 production... oh man, the stories this thing could probably tell), refinish it, and then mate it to a new Criterion barrel (they have a good rep) and CMP stock. The other hardware is either new or refinished USGI. The result is basically a brand new rifle... there isn't much collector value to one like this, but that means I can shoot it without any worries.

I've also read wonderful things about the folks buying the Service grades... I may have to put in for one of those sometime next year.

The paperwork required is a bit more than buying a gun from a local FFL and the wait can be longer than one might like (mine was about 6.5 weeks from mailing the forms off to receiving everything at my door), but the result is a beautiful rifle that's going to be a great shooter.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
I received my CMP Special grade Garand this week.
We need pics!
Old December 6, 2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Technosavant

The only pic I have is a so-so one off the phone. Nicer ones will need to wait until I get some coats of oil on the stock.

Old December 6, 2012, 02:27 PM   #17
smokiniron

Question on manufacturer....

So, for an 'M1 Garand' noob,

Is there a value or performance difference between an M1 Garand made by Winchester, Springfield, or Harrington & Richardson?

I saw that there was a category for S/Ns over 6 million. Does the S/N matter, except for probable wear?
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old December 6, 2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Straitshot

If looking to purchase a Service Grade rifle which one is best to buy, the Springfield or the H&R? I understand there are no more Winchesters.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:11 PM   #19
smokiniron

Muzzle and Throat wear?

Based on the CMP measurements, how much wear is acceptable, and still give you a good shooter?
Old December 6, 2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
So, for an 'M1 Garand' noob,

Is there a value or performance difference between an M1 Garand made by Winchester, Springfield, or Harrington & Richardson?

I saw that there was a category for S/Ns over 6 million. Does the S/N matter, except for probable wear?
Quote:
If looking to purchase a Service Grade rifle which one is best to buy, the Springfield or the H&R? I understand there are no more Winchesters.

The S/N will indicate when the receiver was manufactured. Some folks want WW2 serials, some want Korean War. For CMP rifles, the grades are determined by condition, not serial numbers. Since most rifles were arsenaled (and often refurbished or rebarreled) at some point in their history, the serial will not be an indicator of condition or wear. The CMP rifles will, at a minumum, match the description of their respective grades, though many will look much better.

There is no real value difference between a Service Grade Springfield and H&R - it's really up to personal preference. If you mail-order a Springfield, there is a possibility to get a WWII serial number (mine is), which many folks find more desirable.

All H&R's were manufactured post-war, but there were also far fewer H&R rifles made than Springfields, so that makes them more desirable to some folks. There is also the possibility of getting an H&R (or late-production Springfield) rifle in near-unissued condition, since many were little-used before replacement with M14s.

Also some folks desire late-production Springfield and H&R rifles (especially as shooters) because they are likely to include many of the minor product-improvements that came during Garand production.

All Winchester rifles were manufactured during the WW2 era. They are no longer available for mail-order, but are often available in the CMP North and South stores.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Technosavant

Quote:
Differences really only come into play if you're dealing with collector type rifles. For most shooters (like the stuff being sold by CMP now), it won't matter. Springfield Armory made by far and away the most Garands. H&R didn't make them until the 50s, so if you want something that might have a few WWII miles on it, you're looking at Springfield or Winchester.

Quote:
If looking to purchase a Service Grade rifle which one is best to buy, the Springfield or the H&R?
I doubt you'd see any difference. Really, the difference is there so people can fill out their collections.

Quote:
Based on the CMP measurements, how much wear is acceptable, and still give you a good shooter?
Probably depends on your definition of "good shooter." If you want something that's basically a new rifle, then you're talking a CMP Special grade. If you're willing to trade a little bit of wear but still want a generally new condition rifle, then it's Service Grade Special. Field and Service grades will have a bit more history to them, but will show more wear. Either will shoot and function just fine, but while they may be within the US Army's original specs for the rifle, they will not be as fresh and new as the Specials.

The most economical shooter will be the Service grade, but I think the best shooter out of the box will likely be the CMP Special grade (due to the new barrels). It seems like guys building up a National Match rifle will start with a Field or Service grade and replace the barrel and (maybe) stock. It just depends on if you want the most accurate one out of the box that might be possible or if you'd be willing to maybe compromise (by taking more wear on the bore) in order to save some money.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
The lower the numbers the better.

The CMP rifle sales page indicates that for Field Grade rifles:

"muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards."

If you are ordering via mail order, read and understand the grade descriptions. The CMP is very upfront and honest about condition of each rifle.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:14 PM   #23
smokiniron

Gade ratings....?

Quote:
"muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards."
Thanks, Fishbed (and others).

I did read the CMP grade descriptions. But, a small question remains. Are the '+3' -type numbers referencing muzzle and throat wear in .001" increments?

Last edited by smokiniron; December 6, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:27 PM   #24
johnwilliamson062

KraigWY,
Look at the CMP site. THey won't be selling anyone most of the rifles on your list. Unless some of the foreign loans come back into the country through them, which is unlikely IMO. Unless CMP is given some of the more modern firearms I think they are soon to be closed.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:12 AM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
KraigWY,
Look at the CMP site. THey won't be selling anyone most of the rifles on your list. Unless some of the foreign loans come back into the country through them, which is unlikely IMO. Unless CMP is given some of the more modern firearms I think they are soon to be closed.
They still put up most of the rifles on that list up in online auctions from time-to-time. Also, some are available in the stores. Orest at the CMP has said that there are a few years worth (maybe 2-3?) of Garands left for sale via mail order, and then the CMP will transition back more to their original core purpose of promoting marksmanship training.