The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 22, 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
zxcvbob

Walther P1

I ordered a P1 from SOG last week, and I added the $10 "handpick", and in the notes I said I'd like a later-model with the steel hex pin in the frame. They just sent me an email that none of their P1's have the steel pin.

Should this be a deal-breaker? I'm buying the gun to shoot, maybe even as a bullseye target gun, but I have a Hi-Power already that I can use when I just need to burn up a hundred or two rounds of +P ammo in an afternoon (I can reload softer stuff or use WWB for the Walther)

I'm not familiar enough with these guns to know how important the steel reinforcement pin is. (or maybe it's only important if the springs are worn out, and I can fix that with a Wolff spring kit)

They are holding the order for me to decide whether I want it or not. That's pretty good service IMHO, since there was no guarantee they would find a pinned frame in the half dozen they select from.

I am surprised they are not all pinned.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:24 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

A bit of a bind for me. The guns without the pin are actually more collectible but for a gun which will get heavy use, I definitely would want the steel pin.

What it does is prevent wear on the frame when the locking block is cammed up to lock. Without it, wear can get bad enough after many rounds (thousands) that the block will not fully lock. They didn't have that problem with the wartime steel frames, but when they went to alloy frames in the postwar P38 and P1, the problem cropped up. The pin is an after-market recall/repair.

Jim
Old August 22, 2011, 08:18 PM   #3
mavracer

this is what I found in my short search after I bought my P1 which is the older version no pin, thin slide.
from P38 forum http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13142
After reading it I decided to just replace springs and keep my loadings in the 115gr @ 1100 fps range. I really enjoy shooting it and have had no problems with FMJ ammo. I can tell you that UMC 115 JHPs don't work at all the front of the bullet is too short/fat and recoil wedges it where the mag overlaps where it's welded.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 22, 2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

My one from AIM came with no pin and looked new inside and out. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is the only handgun you have. You might wear it out if you shoot thousands of rounds through it. I can't afford to do that, so I say don't worry about it. I will say they are very ammo picky. I tried bunches of different kinds of 9mm. None worked well. Then I tried Winchester White Box 115gn 9mm and the pistol worked perfectly and shot exactly to sights. Amazing!

TK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1-1.jpg (182.3 KB, 57 views)

Tags
p38 , walther p1