The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 3, 2010, 08:38 AM   #26
NavyLT

Quote:
So I say that the "average" Washington citizen is very much gun tolerant if not just out and out Pro-Gun.
Thank you BluesBear. As a person who open carries every day, I agree with you. I've looked behind me. I have yet to see a wake of disbelief, prejudice, and outright hatred behind me yet.

The person who open carries every day in Washington tends to find that about 95% of the people just don't notice or don't care, 4% are curious and ask and leave with a positive education or are already outright supportive, about 90% of the 1% left are against it and will give you a dirty look or make a comment, and about 10% of the 1% left will call the police (usually to only be told to call them back if they happen to notice anything illegal happening.)
Old September 3, 2010, 08:59 AM   #27
TLeo

I found this an intersting thread, having visited Washington many, many, times. I've been to Seattle/Tacoma quite abit and even more in the northeastern part above Spokane and I don't recall ever seeing anyone open carrying. I do see lots of trucks with racks in them up in the rural areas of Colville, Chewela, Northport, etc. I was wondering though, for you that live there do you find more anti gun feelings around Seattle (very liberal area from my experience) and more pro gun feelings further away from the metro areas?
Old September 3, 2010, 09:28 AM   #28
MadHatter1

I left WA several years ago, partialy because it was becoming so liberal (the over the top taxes and crazy traffic didn't help much either). But the population as a whole is very pro gun. I recall a ballot inititive some 10+ years ago that would have inacted some type of gun control, i think trigger locks, safe storage mandates, and magazine capacity were the issues it dealt with. it was CRUSHED in the generaly election, by about 90% of the vote. It was the largest margin in State history. Im not ever sure how they got enough valid signatures to get this on the ballot in the first place, given the end result.
WA is also the first State to have 'shall issue' CCW, starting in 1963. No training required, no $100+ fees, and not many places you can't carry. So while WA is pretty liberal, its also pretty gun friendly
Old September 3, 2010, 11:15 AM   #29
NavyLT

Quote:
I was wondering though, for you that live there do you find more anti gun feelings around Seattle (very liberal area from my experience) and more pro gun feelings further away from the metro areas?
I would say that open carrying in an urban area such as around Seattle/Tacoma/Spokane provides more opportunity for education because of the different situations likely to be encountered.

I don't think you will find any greater percentage of people against firearms in a rural vice urban setting. I think what you will find is a greater number of anti-s because of the density of population. I also think you will find a greater questioning of the legality of open carry in the various situations unique to the urban environment.

For instance, on public transportation. I was approached at the light rail stop outside the Tacoma Dome by a young lady. She exclaimed in a loud voice, "Is that a gun?" I answered yes. She asked, "Is that legal?" I explained all the statutes to her. She replied, "Wow. I didn't know you could do that. That is so cool! Do you have to be 21?" I told her about the age limits and she said, "Wow, I am going to have to see about getting one when I can carry it when I turn 21!"

My experience has been that there is not a greater percentage of people that are anti.... just more likelihood of running into them because of the population density.
Old September 5, 2010, 10:38 AM   #30
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLT
Remember 60%, the majority, of felons in prison interviewed stated that they would not attack a person that they KNEW were armed.
You do know that statistic also means: 40% of felons in prison will attack a person that they KNEW were armed? I'm not making a point here I just saying...
Old September 5, 2010, 12:50 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Two states in one

The costal metro area is very much in line with national liberal attitudes about guns. Rural areas are more traditional (today called conservative). The eastern half of the state is very much more gun friendly.

The "dry side" still has a lot of old west attitude, compared to the rest of the state.

God bless Seattle, may it rust in peace.
Old September 5, 2010, 01:44 PM   #32
Support_and_Defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET.
You do know that statistic also means: 40% of felons in prison will attack a person that they KNEW were armed? I'm not making a point here I just saying...
Bravado is easy to muster both on the internet and in an interview. How many of that 40% would truly face getting shot at in real life?

In addition those left over never specified that they would choose a visibly armed target over a target not visibly armed. If felons say that one who is known to be armed will deter 60% of them then why not go with the odds? The other 40% certainly won't be deterred by a gun carried concealed or no gun at all; and, given the choice between two targets, I'll bet they are going to pick the one that they do not know has a gun.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:04 AM   #33
isanchez2008

Quote:
The "dry side" still has a lot of old west attitude, compared to the rest of the state.

God bless Seattle, may it rust in peace
Amen brother

I used to work at a hardware store and it wasn't common but every once in a while you would see someone OCing. Most of the time no one noticed or didn't say anything. A couple of times I asked my cashiers if they noticed anything unsual about their last customer. They said no, I said you didn't notice the handgun on his waist?. I usually got a blank stare.
Old September 13, 2010, 03:30 PM   #34
Scattergun Bob

ET & Support_and_Defend

I'm not sure that is what the stats say. The 40% undeterred by a armed citizen, may have had other responses. Survey instruments are sometimes tricky things to get reasonable results.

perhaps the 40% of convicts interviewed;

Did not answer the question posed.

Were unsure of what they would do.

Did not understand the question asked.

One thing for sure, if you open carry, your head needs to be in the game AT ALL TIMES. Hand full of bags, reaching down to pick up the purse that the pretty girl with the wonderful smile just used as a stall to make you think about other things. If you choose to advertise, be very good and be ready for whatever comes.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; September 13, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old September 13, 2010, 06:43 PM   #35
Support_and_Defend

Quote:
One thing for sure, if you open carry, your head needs to be in the game AT ALL TIMES. Hand full of bags, reaching down to pick up the purse that the pretty girl with the wonderful smile just used as a stall to make you think about other things. If you choose to advertise, be very good and be ready for whatever comes.
Why limit that to open carry? A gun shoved into the face of a concealed carrier or a hit to the back of the head of the concealed carrier has the same effect.
Old September 13, 2010, 06:50 PM   #36
Scattergun Bob

Support_and_Defend

No disagreement there, buddy. My comments were limited to my last statement, If you choose to advertise (your weapon openly), be very good and be ready for whatever comes. I suppose that there is some illusion that a well concealed handgun has LESS advertising impact.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 21, 2010, 08:12 PM   #37
Badcompany

Reactions to open carry would depend on the county.

I wouldn't try it in Clark County.

We don't exactly have the most reasonable and honest police department, district/superior court or corrections department.

You can count on a harrassing/prodding interrogation on the street at the very least.
Old September 26, 2010, 02:54 AM   #38
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
Right now we are extremely lucky to have Rob McKenna as our State Attorney General. He has proven himself to be VERY empathetic towards gun owners.

He has gone on record several times in support of not only the 2nd Ammendment as it applies to the states but our state gun laws in general, stating that the Washington State Pre-emption Law prohibits locales from enacting contradictory laws and ensures that all locales abide by the same laws.

So I would think that any jurisdiction that harassed anyone lawfully carrying would have to answer for their actions. And right now, with all of the budget shortages NO Municipality can afford a lawsuit they can't win.

Since KcKenna shut down Seattle's illegal gun possession ordinance in short order I feel he'd have no problem rapping some knuckles for unlawful harassment.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Old September 26, 2010, 03:37 AM   #39
therealdeal

great 1st post navylt

navylt is correct, you are NOT required by washigton state law to notify the LEO that you are carrying concealed while being routinely pulled over on a traffic stop as an example(some states require that you inform the officer no later than when you hand him/her your license and/or registration). If he/she asks you, you obviously must be honest and disclose the info. I want to go back to washington sometime. this past summer we took a trip to northern MT and spent gobs of time in MT and lots more in northern ID area. We made it to WA&canada, but never made it much farther than newport,WA

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old September 26, 2010, 04:14 AM   #40
therealdeal

"navylt" check this out(plus I guess this is still better than IL "madhatter".lol):

http://www.opencarry.org/ma.html (here is the summary which pretty much makes you scratch your head- ps-I grew up in mass):

Massachusetts

Summary
Massachusetts is not a traditional open carry state, but it is not a crime for Class A License holders to open carry. However, it is reported that some jurisdictions will use this as an excuse to revoke permits.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old October 2, 2010, 07:24 PM   #41
alfack

http://www.kirotv.com/news/25233137/detail.html
Old October 3, 2010, 11:51 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

I won't claim to know the exact law...

But I believe that the police have the authority to ask you for ID at any time. They may, or may not have the legal right to stop you, I don't know. IT goes back to some old laws covering vagrancy.

Its not much enforced today, but there are still many places in the country where you can be required to show ID, (showing residence), and be able to prove you are not broke (have some money), or you could be arrested. Those laws are still on the books.

Local cops are most likely to be the ones asking. If you are not someone they usually see in the area, and do something to stand out visually, they might take an interest. I was stopped and asked for ID by a town cop some 30 years ago (ok, maybe not really relevant), just walking down the street to the post office, in a town I had moved into just a couple months before. He asked for ID, which I produced, and in conversation told me about the vagrancy statutes. I admit, I was rather scruffy looking at the time.

If you are carrying openly, in a public place, expect the police to check you out. Its not a violation of our rights, to set their minds at ease. As long as things are polite, and you are not detained, or restrained in any way.

With several officers murdered in recent memory, I, for one, would gladly let them know I'm no threat, just exercising my rights.
Old October 4, 2010, 04:57 PM   #43
MoscowMike

Here's an interesting article about state "Stop and Identify" laws -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_an...80.9D_statutes

Apparently only a few of those states also require you to provide identification papers. You can generally satisfy the requirement to identify yourself by giving the policeman your name.
Old October 4, 2010, 08:21 PM   #44
alfack

I think that's crap. If he's not doing anything illegal or behaving in a threatening manner, the police have no right to ask for papers. Just like you can't ask a suspected illegal alien for papers right, even if they were pulled over for speeding?

I just heard an interview with this guy on the radio and it sounds like they violated his 4th amendment rights to me. The reason the officer cited was "I don't know who you are." He doesn't have the right to know who anyone is, unless he suspects them of breaking the law. The guy asked if he was being detained for some reason and the cop said no. The guy replied then this conversation is over. The cop then called for backup and they surrounded the guy. He eventually capitulated, because he didn't want to be late for his lunch date. They were effectively detaining him w/o cause.