The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1
onalandline

Need Help With CZ Pistol Decision.

I have almost made my mind up to purchase a CZ 75 9mm as a CC/Home Defense pistol. I am having trouble deciding which one however. I would like one of the compact models, either the CZ 75 Compact or the CZ P-01.

Links from CZ website:

They also have .40 versions, so you may have to scroll to get the correct info at the links.

CZ 75 Compact: http://http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-compact/
CZ P-01: http://http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/

They are both all metal guns. One is mostly steel, while the other has an aluminum frame. One has a lanyard loop on the butt for some reason. Both are compact, 14 round 9mm, and about the same retail price. I just need help from someone more knowledgeable than myself to help me make up my mind. Any help will be appreciated.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:16 PM   #2
_W_

Can't go wrong with either, but I bought a P-01 because I felt that it outranked the CZ-75 compact in the category of coolness.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
onalandline

Any complaints? What is the loop at the butt for? Is the upper slide metal or aluminum?
Old December 30, 2009, 07:33 PM   #4
_W_

I few nit picky things that I don't "like", but its nothing huge...it's actually very very minor.

1. It's green, but for $409 new in box, I can't complain. Though I would've preferred black.
2. Contoured side grip panels; I would prefer them to be flat like the ones on my Magnum Research Baby Eagle. But its not a real issue.
3. Rubber on the magazine base plate. Nothing wrong with it, but it a little bit awkward.

Other than that, its an awesome gun. I haven't shot it much, but I've put at about 150 rounds through it without a single problem.

The slide is steel, and its a lanyard loop on the butt of the gun. (Pretty much to tie the gun to your body)

Old December 30, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
FALPhil

I have owned a Compact since most of the people on this board were knee high to a grasshopper. I have zero complaints.

About concealed carry with the Compact. I carried this gun for close to 10 years. One thing I can tell you is that you will have to dress around the gun to do a good job of letting no one know you are carrying. It is an all steel gun and on the chubby side by today's standards. I actually find it easier to conceal a full size 1911 than the Compact. Faced with a choice today, I would go with the P01 because of the weight savings. I have put about 100 rounds through the P01, and the recoil impulse is ever so slightly different, but it is just as accurate as any 9mm I have shot.

I will also admit that the CZ restored my belief in the 9x19. Prior to acquiring it (on Jeff Cooper's advice), I had messed around with S&W autos. Now, when I can take a 1911A1 and put 14 rounds in 3 inches at 25 yards, I should be able to do that with a 9mm. With the Smiths, it was impossible, so I gave up on 9mm. But one trip to the range with the CZ turned me back around and I was hooked.

Regardless of the model you buy, my prediction is that you will be more than satisfied, and after a while you will wonder why all those other guys spend too much money on Sigs.
Old December 30, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Rmac58

I have a P-06 which is the .40 caliber version. The P's have a rail, the 75 compact does not.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Ace_Breaker

I had a P-01 and currently a 75B. For some reason I'm more attached to the 75B. It's more accurate shoots better for me. When it comes down to compact sized 9mm's I prefer my Sig 225 or best yet, my Hk P2000 with 13 rounds. I ended up dumping the P-01.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
gilfo

I went with the Compact simpley for the trigger. I do not care for the curved trigger on the P01. Had it swapped out on my Rami too.
Old December 31, 2009, 02:33 AM   #9
onalandline

Thanks for the replies. I am kinda leaning toward the CZ 75 D PCR Compact: http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-d-pcr-compact/. I don't know if I would have a use for the bottom rail on the P-01. I still have no idea why CZ adds lanyard loops at the butt.

Does anyone have one of these?

How does the de-cocker work over the safety?

Where's a good place to buy, online or otherwise?
Old December 31, 2009, 04:10 AM   #10
armoredman

I have the PCR and P01, and bet my life on my P01 every day, bar none. I carry concealed under a loose baggy t-shirt in AZ summer time no problem, a GOOD holster helps a LOT. This is my actual winter carry setup for P01 and PCR as BUG. A nice vest covers them up quite well.

I trust 'em.
Old December 31, 2009, 05:38 AM   #11
wvshooter

Personally I would go with the 75 Compact in the traditional DA/SA format. (no decocker), although the P-01 is also a tremendous weapon.

I have a 75BD. That's the full size gun with a decocker. Nothing wrong with it, I just wish it was traditional DA/SA. The reason of course is I don't like the first long heavy trigger pull followed by the lighter shorter followup shots.
Old December 31, 2009, 06:59 AM   #12
Pilot

Save the weight and go wtih the PCR. Its a great carry and range gun. Its similar to the compact except with a lightweight alloy frame, decocker and better sights. It also DOES NOT have a light rail which makes it a bit less chunky for carry. I've had one for ten years and carry it almost daily. It beats out my Sig P228, HK P7M8 and some others for carry most days.

The PCR is accurate, realiable and concealable. Its alsoa darn good range and HD gun. 14 + 1 capacity.
Old December 31, 2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

If it's for home and range, and not carry, I'd go with a full-size CZ-75.

Re: decocker. The decocker lowers the hammer to the half-cock notch, and that's where the next shot would start from. The safety model requires you to manually decock IF you want to start from hammer down; otherwise, you simply cock the hammer and set the safety.

With the decocker models, the first trigger pull is slightly longer and heavier than the second. With the safety models, when starting from cocked-and-locked, the first and subsequent shots have the same trigger pull.

With safety models starting from hammer down, the first trigger pull is much longer and heavier than when starting from cocked and locked. In fact, some folks have a problem with the full-hammer down trigger pull. If you start form the half-cock notch (as do the decocker models), the first trigger pull is shorter and lighter than starting from full-hammer down, but still idfferent from all subsequent shots.

Nothing wrong with the compact CZ models, but they offer no advantages if you're not planning to carry concealed.

Inexpensive Mec-Gar mags are available for the full-size models; Mec-Gar also makes the factory mags. The full-size model that gives you an extra two rounds (16 for full size models vs 14 for compact models. The ergonomics (how it fits your hand) are almost the same, but larger hands seem to like the ful-size model better.

Otherwise, it would boil down to whether you want a decocker or safety. The P-01 and other CZ decocker models start from the half-cock notch; the Compact and safety equipped full-size models can start from hammer down, half-cock, or cocked-and-locked.

(And to head off any concerns about the safety of starting from half-cock with the non-decocker models: both models have a firing pin block that won't allow the gun to fire unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear.

The decocker model has one less hammer hook and an extra mechanism to drop the hammer installed where the safety mechanism and second hammer hook would sit in the non-decocker models. They are otherwise internally the same.)

The weight of the guns shouldn't be a matter of concern if you're not trying to carry.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 31, 2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: correctijng punctuation.
Old December 31, 2009, 11:52 AM   #14
viking499

I agree with Walt. For home use only, fullsize 75.

If for CCW, PCR. I just got a new PCR. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but LOVE the way it feels in my hand.
Old January 1, 2010, 03:21 AM   #15
onalandline

Thanks for the info everyone. I would appreciate any other comments or suggestions.

Happy New Year!
Old January 1, 2010, 03:05 PM   #16
Pilot

The OP said the CZ was for "CC/Home Defense". I'm assuming CC means concealed carry. That is why I recommended the PCR over the 75B. I have and shoot both, but the PCR is the more versatile of the two.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:22 PM   #17
onalandline

PCR or Compact?

Would the 75 Compact be a perfect choice since it is a smaller version of the full size?
Old January 1, 2010, 07:42 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

The 75 Compact is a fine gun, but a bit heavier than the PCR.

Keep in mind, too, that the compact models (small "c") aren't THAT MUCH smaller than the full-size guns: The slide of the full-size gun is only 9/10th of an inch longer, and the grip is 4/10th of an longer. Not much reduction in size.

The CZ website says the full-size model weighs 2.2 pounds, the Compact 2.4 pounds (probably a typo), and the PCR weights 1.67 pound.

There's not a LOT of difference in those guns. (The PCR does have Novak-style, low snag sights.)
Old January 6, 2010, 02:43 PM   #19
onalandline

Bud's has the CZ 75 Compact (steel version), manual safety, 9mm (15+1) for $550 now.

Link: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13656

Does anyone know of a better deal off hand?
Old January 6, 2010, 02:59 PM   #20
DocDizz

You really can't go wrong with either one. I thought I wanted a P-01, and still do, but got my hands around the standard 75B and absolutely fell in love, and then NO remorse afterwards (I traded a series 1 Kimber Pro for it [after getting a full-size DW] and left with more cash than I showed up with).
Old January 6, 2010, 03:36 PM   #21
chris in va

The post is over a week old, wonder which one he got.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:39 PM   #22
TTUBOB87

About a month ago I went with the cz 75d compact and absolutely love it.
Old January 6, 2010, 06:25 PM   #23
onalandline

TTUBOB87, you mind saying where you got it, and how much? Was it the all-steel version in 9mm? Safety or de-cocker?
Old January 6, 2010, 08:44 PM   #24
beckham

I have the P-06 and love it. I would go with the P-01.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:42 AM   #25
ignusmarais

CZ is Gr8

The CZ is a very good firearm and if you decide to go for the 75, you will not be making a mistake. Enjoy it, and shoot strait.