The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2006, 05:34 AM   #1
maas

i bought a dutch oven

i found a lodge 12" 6qt with a cole lip on top and legs at wal-mart, (ive never seen them there before so i think it was a sign) now all i have to do is season it.
now tell me if this soungs right: heat the oven to 400, wash it for the first and last time with soap, dry it in the oven for a few mins, oil it with veg oil. bake it for an hour at 400 then step the heat down to 200 let cool.
does that sound right? if not please tell me how you do it i dont want to mess it up off the bat .
thanks

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 23, 2006, 05:46 AM   #2
mete

There are different ways but you have the idea.There are IIRC instructions on the Lodge website....A chemist explained it to me - you are actually polymerizing the oil turning it into a plastic or polymer !!! He said the best oil to use was soy oil...Then you can enjoy your pot !!
Old March 23, 2006, 08:36 AM   #3
zeisloft

Some of the new irons have a very large pore to them. If you are in no rush to use that thing, wash it w/soap & water, and set it outside for a month to let it rust....yes, to let it rust. Then sand the rust out w/ a random orbit sander and a mid grit paper (150). Then season as you mentioned. If the pore diam is good, do it the other way (without rust).
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old March 23, 2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Scorch

I use cast iron all the time. No Teflon-coated aluminum, stainless steel or titanium cookware. Just nodular cast iron. Here's how I season a new skillet:
1. Put in the oven on Self-clean OR put it into a gas grill on high for about 4 hours. Turn the heat off and let it cool slowly. When you take it out, it will be a beautiful brownish-silvery-gray (the color of cast iron).
2. Coat the iron with vegetable shortening (or bacon grease). Let it sit overnight.
3. Heat in an oven at about 200 degrees. The shortening (or bacon grease) will soak into the iron. When the iron looks dull, coat with shortening again. Repeat as needed for about 6 hours.
4. Let cool. Use frequently. Oil after each use.

By the way, you can use soap and water on cast iron (for example, if you burn something really bad), but you will have to repeat this process again.

After a few years, you'll notice the cast iron has a "crust" on the outside. Just pop it in the oven on CLEAN, and start over.
Old March 23, 2006, 11:04 PM   #5
maas

thanks guys for all the info but i think ill have to season the new one! i just got done washing it and was getting redy to pop it in the oven to get it good and dry when i noticed it had a crack in it. so got to make a trip to wal mart and get another, im going to check the new one out first.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 24, 2006, 02:51 AM   #6
jamaica

Care of the Dutch Oven

Here is how I treat my Dutch Ovens. Whether brand new or well used and seasoned.

Wash it with warm water and a few drops of liquid detergent. Use a Scotch Brite pad to go over the pan and remove any residue of food.

Rinse and dry the pan with a paper towel. Set aside for a few minutes to thoroughly dry, then put a teaspoonful of soy oil in the pan and with a paper towel, spread the oil all over the pan inside and out, the lid too. Just a thin film, don't leave puddles.

It is now ready to use for cooking, or storage. Some of the oil will actually be absorbed into the cast. Soy oil also sets up almost like varnish over time and forms a very good seal on the pan to prevent rust.

There is no need to bake the new kettle. Just go ahead and use it for cooking. After a few uses it will turn a dark color.

Personally I hate rust on a cast iron pan and will never let my pans get rusty for any reason. Rust will turn your food black, and is a sign of an unseasoned pan. Food will stick unmercilessly to a rusty pan.

Do not ever burn out your pan as this removes the seasoning, (which is oil that has soaked into the pan). It doesn't hurt a cast pan one bit to be washed, and even with a bit of detergent. The trick here is to do it quickly to remove food and excess fats, then dry it and oil it. Any long soaking with water and or soap will remove the seasoning, but a quick wash will not.

Also be assured that burned on food is not seasoning. It is quite simply a source of foul odors and flavors in your next meal.

I know there are the "No Water" advocates who religiously refuse to let water touch the cast iron pan. I have seen them burn their pans out, rub them out with dirt or sand, and not wash em at all. What a stinky, rusty and messy looking pan they end up with. Its enough to make one wonder if you could even eat something that had been in "THAT"?

Try my method and see how it treats you and your pan. I think you will be delighted.