The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2002, 06:42 PM   #1
stevie_d_64

AR Magazine preference

I have a few magazines for my Bushmaster "Shorty", couple of tens, and a few 20's...

For the most part is there any difference in the performance of a 20 round magazine and a 30 round magazine?

My experience level only applies to the 20...And any maintenance and care to those I figure are similar for the higher capacity magazines, I am just wondering which (minus the capacity) are more reliable, is either one more prone to feeding/jamming problems based upon that capacity?

I know you can load out more with the higher cap magazines, so that could be a benifit, but is there any appreciable risk of failure at a inopportune time with 30's?

I have not had a failure with the 20's I have, since I have shot them...

Just looking to see what some here think about a future investment in some 30 round magazines, and will be looking for some new magazines soon anyway...

I just wish Bushmaster sold 20's or 30's, the 10 I got with the rifle really works well...

Thanks...

Later,
Steve
Old October 28, 2002, 11:52 PM   #2
eggroll

AR mags

rule of thumb - if you have GI 20's these are at least 20 years old - probably with alloy followers, you may experience tension issues. you can fill up to 20 rounds, but if left loaded for some duration, you will probably experience some feeding issues; so you load these up to 17-18 rounds and reduce the likelihood of spring tension loss.

30 round mags, get USGI mags, preferably with green followers.

check out AR15.com

EGG