The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 25, 2002, 08:23 PM   #1
klh8

GPS's

I am going to be hunting in unfamilar territory this deer season and have been thinking about the garmin etrex gps to keep my mind at ease on making my way back to the truck.
Are these gps units practical for this type situation?Just wondering.
Thanks
Old October 25, 2002, 08:39 PM   #2
Chugach

Yep, got one and it works fine for tagging return locations. You can press and hold one button to trigger that function. Just remember to "record" the location of your truck before you leave it!

If you're hunting in heavy timber or steep hills, you may have trouble getting enough satellite locks to accurately locate your position. That's gonna be a problem with just about any GPS unit that you use, not just the etrex. Find a reasonable clearing within a quarter mile or so of your truck and mark it instead, then look for thin tree cover when you're on the hunt.

I'm assuming that you're interested in taking a good map of the area and a compass as well?

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." - Bertrand de Jouvenet
Old October 25, 2002, 08:47 PM   #3
nemesis

I've been using a Garmin GPS III Plus for many years and I can state positively that the later generation multi-channel receivers have no trouble with trees and similar obstructions. Mine works well in many buildings too.
Old October 25, 2002, 10:47 PM   #4
Chugach

The etrex has a 12 parallel channel receiver also. I've been able to befuddle it by taking two steps into light forest cover.

Does the III Plus have an external antenna? May explain the difference in performance. The etrex is a pretty basic unit costing around $120.

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." - Bertrand de Jouvenet
Old October 26, 2002, 12:24 AM   #5
klh8

Thanks fellas.Yep,I do have topo maps of the area.Thanks alot for the info.
Paul
Old October 26, 2002, 08:12 AM   #6
AK103K

Have a good map of the area and a good compass and know how to use them. The GPS is just another tool to go along with them, but can get you in trouble if you rely on it solely. The biggest advantages are to be able to plot where you are on the map and to get the right magnetic bearing from it for your compass. You only need a fix once in awhile if the cover or hills are to heavy. Your GPS can tell you how to go if you did your homework and have your waypoints in it, even with only one or two fixes. As long as you know where your truck is, you can always get back, but not always with just your GPS.

Just an after thought about batteries. Use the lithium batteries instead of alkaline. They cost more, but last a lot longer, especially in the cold. They also last longer just sitting in the truck when the unit is switched off.
Old October 26, 2002, 11:35 AM   #7
Foxy

The Garmin Etrex series has a little tiny antenna.. that's the tradeoff for having such a compact size. They have a harder time with reception under cover than other GPS's with a beefier antenna. Don't get me wrong, I have two members of the Etrex family and love them.

They do make re-radiating external antennas which should help greatly if you are worried about reception under cover. They are kinda pricey though.
Old October 26, 2002, 02:26 PM   #8
Long Path

I haven't used the Etrex, but have been regularly using a Garmin 12, ca 1997, for the last 5 years, and am quite impressed with its features, durability, battery life, and ease of use. Heavy timber can make it take a while to locate or even disallow it alltogether, depending also on the terrain (mountains shadowing the lower sattelites, etc). I very much approve of the dust-proof, water-proof, semi-armored construction, and the fact that it uses easily-replaced AA batteries (4). Backlit at night is a nice feature, too. Name was derived from 12 satellite capability.

Back then, it was a steal at ~$180.

I'm sure that the technology's changed over the past few years, but if Garmin's on the same track they were on back then, they're the stuff to go with, IMHO.
Old October 26, 2002, 03:34 PM   #9
Chugach

Coincidentally was reading another thread on TFL and found a reference to nav tools. I eventually ended up here:

Navigation Tools Comparison

May be of interest...

EDIT: May also be outdated information. I couldn't find the Lowrance GlobalNav 212 at the Lowrance website.

Last edited by Chugach; October 26, 2002 at 07:20 PM.
Old October 26, 2002, 04:24 PM   #10
klh8

Thanks

Thank you for all the help and input.Just went out and got a garmin etrex today.
Now to learn how to use it.(don't look to bad)
Thanks again
Paul
Old October 31, 2002, 01:27 PM   #11
sniper1az

See if you could return the ETreck and get the EMAP instead !

The unit will load topographical maps of your hunting area IN GREAT DETAIL and then shows where your camp is and WHERE YOU ARE ON THAT MAP !!! Then it tells you how far from where you want to go is !

The ultimate map / hunting tool !
Old October 31, 2002, 01:40 PM   #12
Bacchus

Make sure to take a look at the models that allow you to pre-program way points from your computer into the unit. You could mark major roads, expected place to camp, etc. before you even leave.
Old October 31, 2002, 09:38 PM   #13
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

My wife bought me an Etrex. It can't cope with trees.

- pdmoderator