The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 15, 2002, 05:30 PM   #1
notos&w

what is the coolest gadget

... you've bought in the last 6 months? included are things like knives, flashlights, accessories for either or your gun, multitools, holsters, etc.
the definition of gadget is wide-open.

please include price and if obscure, place you bought it.
Old October 15, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
eap

just bought an M3 illuminator and mount for my shotgun. light was $115 and the mount was $20

also scored a surefire E2E elite model for $50 nib.

trying to score a benchmade 710, a few nibbles but nobody with what i'm looking for. it pays to be patient though.
Old October 15, 2002, 06:17 PM   #3
Guyon

These are both common, but I think it's a toss up between the Fisher space pen and the Photon II microlight.
Old October 15, 2002, 07:08 PM   #4
Peter Gun

C-more red dot scope. I can't get enough of it on my .22 buckmark now! I'm buying .22 like crazy. I was doing "counter sniper "drills w/ it in the woods yesterday and hit 9 of ten head shots at @40 yards through the trees w/ a 4" barrel buckmark. It really makes it hard to miss.
Old October 16, 2002, 01:22 AM   #5
Drjones

Probably my Microtech Ultratech Double Edge Double Action Out The Front Automatic. How's THAT for a mouthful???!!!

Its seriously a pretty cool toy...
Old October 16, 2002, 01:14 PM   #6
johnbt

Lyman Digital Trigger Gauge. $50 to $55. I bought mine from Sinclair International.

John
Old October 16, 2002, 04:49 PM   #7
Beren

Where might one acquire a Microtech Ultratech Double Action Out The Front (MUDAOTF) in North Alabama?

Thanks,
Beren

Old October 16, 2002, 04:56 PM   #8
krept

I've played with the UT DE DA/OTF - very nice indeed.

Coolest gadget I bought recently was an Inova X5T. Handy because it's tough and takes the used batteries from my Surefires. Not an outdoor spot light as it doesn't have much throw, but great for all kinds of indoor tasks. Awesome compliment to a Surefire, 'specially where the SF may put out a little too much light for benign tasks...

$36, was on sale.
Old October 16, 2002, 05:01 PM   #9
Drjones

Check out www.bladeforums.com for more info on it. Check the For Sale forums.

Also, try www.bladeauction.com

However, contact the seller directly to see if he has others to sell. It is usually MUCH cheaper...

I got mine from David Kreshpane:
[email protected]

Nice guy, good deal.
Old October 16, 2002, 07:24 PM   #10
Betty

Hey eap,
Where the heck did you get your Surefire E2E for $50!

That's my cool gadget of recent note (except I paid more). I strung a wrist camera strap through the little loop on the pocket clip.

I've been nuking other TFLers in the face with it (per request!). Score so far: Bogie, simon jester, Intune, and myself.
Old October 16, 2002, 07:46 PM   #11
CAP1

The E1e in my pocket right now. Unfortunately I paid a little more than EAP did for his E2e.

Looking for an E2e at a price I am willing to pay.
Old October 17, 2002, 12:23 PM   #12
hksigwalther

In the past 6 months?

I got me one of those Vector 3,000,000 candlepower spot lights. That thing is a monster. Comes with a strap for your shoulder as it is quite heavy. Liked it so much ordered another one yesterday.

Also, a plastic tool box. Not very exciting but now I keep all of my gun and scope cleaning stuff, ear plugs, safety devices, loading aids, tools, etc all in one package. Now I can clean and/or repair anything I have on site from one package instead of remembering I forgot to bring this or that and wait until I get home.
Old October 17, 2002, 02:45 PM   #13
Foxy

Krept,

Where did you get the X5T? I had one of the original X5's, but I ended up giving it to my mother because she needed a bright, compact little light. I really miss it, and wouldn't mind getting one of the tactical versions.

My niftiest gadget was probably my Garmin Etrex Legend.. GPS is fun!
Old October 17, 2002, 04:46 PM   #14
eap

i posted a wtb for the e2e and got an offer, the rest is history.

the photon II! yes, forgot about this little guy. it's a must have, small, weighs nothing, waterproof and cheap. i keep it on my keychain and use it often. never know it's there until i need it.
Old October 17, 2002, 05:09 PM   #15
krept

Hey Foxy,

I bought it on sale from botachtactical.com. They are now $46, $39 if you work for the Gov. or Mil. and register with B.K. Several other online places have them, such as 1sks.com, but Botach had the best price at the time.

Would REALLY love to get a decent GPS unit.

Another nifty gadget I'd like to get is the Blue Flame pocket torch... http://www.personal.u-net.com/~hill/

There is a place up in the northwest that sells them for @ $40 or so? Don't have the link at the moment... Don't smoke, but a lighter sized torch that doesn't fry your hand, plus has a lock-on feature and will burn at over 1,300 C for over 20min when full? Sounds good to me... melting glass, welding miscellaneous pieces of metal together... fun times!
Old October 17, 2002, 08:07 PM   #16
Foxy

Krept,

I *do* have a entry-level Garmin Etrex for sale.

You can read about it here:
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/

Mine doesn't come with the manual, but I will print it out and bind it for you, and I'll throw in 2 AA batteries.. $85 shipped sound good?
Old October 17, 2002, 09:04 PM   #17
HKguy9

All my carbon fiber toys.

Old October 18, 2002, 10:59 AM   #18
Foxy

Skunk... NICE Beretta Elite you have there. I recently got to shoot one.. it had been beat to heck through many, many stages of IDPA shooting (it belongs/belonged to a IDPA national champion a few years ago, before it found it's way to my friend). Even through all that, it was an outstanding shooter and convinced me to get a 92 of my own. Those carbon fiber stocks are quite spiffy too!
Old October 18, 2002, 12:35 PM   #19
UnknownSailor

Quote:
Another nifty gadget I'd like to get is the Blue Flame pocket torch... http://www.personal.u-net.com/~hill/

There is a place up in the northwest that sells them for @ $40 or so? Don't have the link at the moment... Don't smoke, but a lighter sized torch that doesn't fry your hand, plus has a lock-on feature and will burn at over 1,300 C for over 20min when full? Sounds good to me... melting glass, welding miscellaneous pieces of metal together... fun times!
OMG! The welding torch from Aliens!
Old October 18, 2002, 01:12 PM   #20
Andrew Wyatt

I would have to say the neatest gaget i've bought recently is my Neon/xenon/laser/phaser with windspeedgauge for my loudenboomer MKV with pistolgrip stock.
Old October 18, 2002, 01:19 PM   #21
Correia

Andrew, did you get the model with the GPS, digital round counter, holosight, and bayonet? Or just the plain model with the wind sock?

My coolest piece of gear that I've gotten recently? Scott Evans gave me a G-Code paddle holster a little while ago, I'm still haven't totally switched over to it yet because it fits a little different, but it is very nice.

Or possibly the shotgun bandoleer/uni-suspender that my wife made for me out of surplus webbing. Holds shotgun shells really well, and it holds up my pants on those 3 gun stages that require me to be athletic.
Old October 19, 2002, 10:32 AM   #22
Kentucky Rifle

The three "coolest gadgets" I've recently purchased are: 1) The "Molon Labe" coaches jacket from Larry Correia~PERFECT FIT, and that happens infrequently. 2&3) The new PALights with the "always on" feature. The PALs are powered by a 9 volt radio battery and are supposed to run in the "always on" mode for two years. The always on mode is a soft glow which allows people like me who can't see in the dark, to find the little light. I find that after my eyes have adjusted to the dark, the soft glow of the always on feature allows enough light for me to read my watch in the dark, find a gun, or find my way to the bed without waking up my wife by falling over one of the dogs in the dark.
The other three settings are: 1) Med.--Power is supposed to last for 200 hours. 2) Bright-- (And it's a VERY bright, narrow beam.) Power is supposed to last for 20 hours. 3) "Strobe"--Power is supposed to last for 8 hours. (It strobes on "bright".)

KR
Old October 19, 2002, 11:36 AM   #23
Fred Hansen

Quote:
what is the coolest gadget
The Thermos.

You put cold stuff in and later in the day it's still cold.

You put hot stuff in and later in the day it's still hot.

HOW DOES IT KNOW???
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 19, 2002, 06:19 PM   #24
OkieCruffler

My newest coolest gadget is one of those metal .22 targets that when you hit the 5th target it resets (sorry I have no idea who made it, it was an impulse buy when I was picking up some reloading goodies) My son and I have already shot off all the paint. GReat way to waste a brick of shells in the afternoon.
Old October 19, 2002, 09:59 PM   #25
Stray1

My favorite new gadget is my new Ruck. BHI's X-1 R.A.P.T.O.R.. Complete with lowering lines, attachment points and straps for extra gear and 100oz hydrastorm hydration system.

AIRBORNE!