The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 18, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
HOGSHOOTER

3000 fps rimfire !

That's what Winchesters New 17 Winchester Super MAG Rimfire (3000 fps) does.Not bad for a rimfire round .Savage will bring a rifle out in 04-13,two other makers will bring out more rifles midsummer . This is good news for public hunting areas that allow Rimfires and shotguns only.And should be a lot of fun to all of us.Only question now is this new round cheaper than a centerfire rifle round? HOGSHOOTER
Old March 18, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Ruger480

I've read that ammo will be about $15/box. Give or take.
I saw this back in January. I have literally lost sleep over waiting for this gun to the hit the market (not really I just can't sleep sometimes and need something to think about).
I am very excited to get my hands on one these to say the least!!
Old March 18, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
alex0535

They were saying $13 a box at SHOT show... Which I find a little hard to believe considering .17 HMR is at $16-17/50 rounds here right now. Bigger everything, why should it cost less money? That will be the rationality of every gun store around here to gouge the prices.

I want one. The neighbors are going to hate the noise, and the squirrels will hate it even more. I expect a 20 grain bullet traveling at 3000fps to do devastating things to the squirrels around here. It might take the occasional coyote or fox, but it would be used mostly to shoot the tree rats around the house.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
HOGSHOOTER

Anybody know how much the rifle a be like you can`t wait. And savage almost always a good shooter,if it don`t have a ACCU TRIGGER I will be crying in my beer for years to come. My plans to buy a 17 HMR have changed.Oh people living around me will be happy,Coyotes all winter Woodchucks and Coyote all summer my 22-250 a bit loud.HOGSHOOTER

Last edited by HOGSHOOTER; March 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
alex0535

Savage MSRP on the B.Mag is around $350

I am almost certain it will have an accu-trigger.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Doyle

The problem with a super-velocity, super-light round is that when it hits something it's going to explode therefore only good on light-skinned varmints that you don't want to eat. And, if a grasshopper farts as it goes past it's going to get blown off target.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:55 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Savage will bring a rifle out in 04-13,two other makers will bring out more rifles midsummer .
I have only seen the Savage B-Mag and Winchester 1885 officially announced for .17 WSM.

What other rifle are you referring to?
(A link to the reference would be helpful.)
Old March 18, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Come and take it.

It might be interesting once the 25 grain loading comes out. That 20 at 3000 fps will disintegrate in the animal fat.

Maybe Savage can use the platform to chamber the 5mm rimfire.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:59 AM   #9
psycho nut

I haven't seen a whole lot about this. Why this over a .17HMR? Just quicker?
Old March 19, 2013, 06:17 AM   #10
trg42wraglefragle

Quote:
I haven't seen a whole lot about this. Why this over a .17HMR? Just quicker?
Yes quicker, which means flatter trajectory, but it also does it with a heavier bullet, which will probably have a higher BC than the normal 17hmrs 17gr bullet, and that with being quicker will make it a lot better in the wind.

And its meant to be cheaper than 17hmr too.
So really for a new rifle it seems to be a much better option all round.
Unless the rifle it comes in is a dog, then it might not catch on.

Trouble is if the ammo doesn't stay cheap, and the round is louder and gun heavier that a 17hmr then it's getting into centerfire territory, and if the ammo isn't cheaper than people can reload 223 or 22-250 for then it wont catch on.
I imagine.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:32 AM   #11
HOGSHOOTER

They didn`t name the other two rifle makers yet,guess they are waiting to see if it sales or not.And if the price for the Rifle and ammo are near the price you guys heard it should sale very well.And Varmints are what this round all about so rapid fragmention a good thing just wondering what it does to fox and coyote pelts the 17HMR Good for this one small hole in no exit hole using the same kind of bullets only faster it should do well at this but 500 fps faster and at longer range. HOGSHOOTER
Old March 19, 2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This thing is the perfect answer for coyote hunting in NY, where the idiotic NY laws that state that you can't be "afield" with center-fire rifles during deer season in areas where rifles aren't legal for deer or if you don't have a big-game license in areas where they are legal.... even though coyote season over-laps deer season.

Certainly ought to be good to 200+
Old March 19, 2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Ruger480

Ballistics look pretty good to me for bullet that lightweight

http://www.varminter.com/new-17-winc...num-rimfire-2/
Old March 20, 2013, 05:01 AM   #14
tuck2

I use 17 HM2 and 17 HMR Cooper rifles for prairie dog shooting. Should Winchester make accurate 17 WSM ammo and some company make a good quality bolt action rifle chambered for it , I ll get one. By accurate I mean a rimfire rifle that will shoot sub one inch five shot 100 yard groups when fired off a bench rest.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:07 AM   #15
taylorce1

I'd be real surprised if it isn't delayed coming out, with the current shortage of ammunition it might be awhile until it makes the shelves in decent quantity. At least in CO I can use a center fire .224 caliber or smaller during big game seasons for varmints.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:15 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I'd be real surprised if it isn't delayed coming out, with the current shortage of ammunition it might be awhile until it makes the shelves in decent quantity.
From the Savage rep at the Iowa Deer Classic last month.......... According to them the current ammo crunch will have no bearing. Large quantities of the .17wsm has already been produced and is sitting in warehouses waiting for the guns. Take it for what ya paid for it.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:35 PM   #17
reynolds357

Midway has prices posted and is showing it should be available to ship the 25th of this month. $13.99, 14.99, and 15.99 for boxes of 50.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:24 PM   #18
HOGSHOOTER

Now we wait for the rifles.HOGSHOOTER
Old March 22, 2013, 02:29 PM   #19
BumbleBug

Please, no one get the wrong idea, because if someone gets one of these new 3000fps rimfires, count me first in line to give it a try!!

I just don't understand all the growing interest in all the new rimfires. For sure they are all just plain fun to shoot, including my own old .22 Mag. I just feel like it is a big advantage to be able buy ammo or reload it yourself. A number of small cases necked to .14, .17 or .20 would make some really cool 3000fps cartridges.

JIMHO
Old March 22, 2013, 02:42 PM   #20
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Killkenney
From the Savage rep at the Iowa Deer Classic last month.......... According to them the current ammo crunch will have no bearing. Large quantities of the .17wsm has already been produced and is sitting in warehouses waiting for the guns. Take it for what ya paid for it.
I have no doubt they have already produced some ammo, but how long before it runs out? If the new cartridge is popular is Winchester going to be able to keep up with the demand? How many of you ever thought you would see the day where bulk packs of .22 LR would sell for over $100?

When manufacturers can't keep up with producing .22 LR, which OS vastly more popular, do you believe that the quantity they have already made is sufficient. My guess is the people who purchase these new rifles will be buying massive quantities of available ammunition to make sure the have it on hand. I just can't imagine Winchester dedicating more resources to getting the new .17 WSM out than keeping up with the demand for more popular rimfire cartridges.
Old March 22, 2013, 03:20 PM   #21
Ruger480

[/QUOTE]I have no doubt they have already produced some ammo, but how long before it runs out? If the new cartridge is popular is Winchester going to be able to keep up with the demand? How many of you ever thought you would see the day where bulk packs of .22 LR would sell for over $100?

When manufacturers can't keep up with producing .22 LR, which OS vastly more popular, do you believe that the quantity they have already made is sufficient. My guess is the people who purchase these new rifles will be buying massive quantities of available ammunition to make sure the have it on hand. I just can't imagine Winchester dedicating more resources to getting the new .17 WSM out than keeping up with the demand for more popular rimfire cartridges.[/QUOTE]

Buzzkilll.....
Old March 22, 2013, 04:37 PM   #22
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger480
Buzzkilll.....
Yeah, I know. I'm really not trying to be but I can't get exicted over a cartridge I can't reload. If I lived in NY like Brian I might, since he can't use a centerfire cartridge during big game seasons. Luckily I'm not feeling the ammunition crunch as bad as some people as I have enough componets to reload several thousand rounds of cartridges saved up. During the first ammunition/componet shortage I stockpiled things after it was over. I can shoot my centerfires for several years to come.

I just never expeceted to see the crunch hit the rimfire market like it has. I was able to stock up about 5K rounds of .22lr and 1500 .22 WMR at regular prices before they shot up as well. My jaw did drop the other day when I was on Able Ammo's web page and the Federal Auto Match that my wife and daughters Mosquito's like was $120 for a 325 round bulk pack. Makes me thinks BOHICA when my supply runs out.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:25 PM   #23
SVO

Winchester 1885. That won't be a cheap rimfire rifle but it has my full attention.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:53 AM   #24
steveNChunter

I wish they would've made the B.MAG a little uglier...

at least it has the accutrigger.

Wonder how long it will take before somebody is making 10-25 rd mags for it.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:03 AM   #25
steveNChunter

The Winchester 1885 is much better looking but with an msrp of $1470 I believe I'll pass.

I would like to see Savage offer the model 93 in .17wsm with a walnut stock.
But they would have to lengthen the action to do so.