The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2012, 09:42 AM   #26
schmellba99

Quote:
thought I was the only one that got a lemon from the factory. Apparently, I'm not the only one.
Trust me, you aren't the only one. Dillon puts out a lemon or two as well (I know this will come as a shock to the anti-red crowd, but it is true).

Hornady makes a solid product. So does Dillon. I happen to think that with Dillon, you are paying a hefty tax for the blue paint. Both have awesome customer service, so in the end you won't go wrong with buying either.

I have an LnL-AP and after getting a couple of quirks figured out, it runs like a champ. Many thousands of rounds without any issues. A couple of tweaks here and there, but anybody with any machine is going to do that so it works best for them.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #27
LE-28

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/

This company sells and audible alarm for the primer tube to tell you when your almost out of primers. It's actually a Dillon alarm they modified to work on a LNL-AP

Their products are pricy but are well thought out. The one problem with my LNL-AP is that I am loading 9mms shells and don't need the long handle that Hornady supplies. This company shells shorter ones with a roller handle.
I actually took my handle and put it in a Hydraulic press and bent it so I don't have to lean down to top out the stroke. It makes using the press much more comfortable for me.
Mine is setup on 9mm and runs really well and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9232.JPG (124.7 KB, 34 views)
Old December 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #28
JimDandy

Ewww whats that green thing to the left? There's a place.. either Midway or Brownells or another store like them that I can't remember the name of at the moment, that sells a modification to stick a bin on the front bar of the press.. the one that would poke you in your stomach if you walked into the press... also they sell pretty hefty roller handle that looks nice. Beyond that, they also sell a light, though I think I'd prefer the one Hornady just came out with.

Edit: It's Midway and the brand for these aftermarket parts is Inline Fabrication.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:57 PM   #29
Crunchy Frog

No one answered golfnutrlv's question:

"... how do you get the last primer out of the pickup tube and into the press feed tube without pushing on it with a pointy object? (Not desirable with primers)."

I know what you mean. The little fingers on the plastic end of the Hornady pickup tube have a pretty good grip on that last primer.

I use the fiberglass rod to very gently push the primer past the fingers to join its brethren in the tube. I wear safety glasses while reloading but I'll admit to having a little trepidation during this manuever.

As the pickup tubes break in a little there is less tension on the primer.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:36 PM   #30
LE-28

Quote:
Ewww whats that green thing to the left?
I'm glad you can't see the ugly red and pot metal thing to the right to the Hornady.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:43 PM   #31
tobnpr

Quote:
No one answered golfnutrlv's question:
Hounddawg did in the post immediately after the rant post...

The tape on the stick is a good idea.

Me, my case loading block holds 50 rounds...
Two loading blocks = 100 rounds...
100 rounds in a box of primers.

I usually load in batches of 50 or 100.
If doing partial, I simply load the number of primers into the tube that corresponds to the number of cases I'm going to load.

I've never used- or seen in operation- a Dillon 650.
If there's anything about it's use that is simpler than the LNL, I'd be interested in hearing about it because I can't imagine anything about the LNL that could be improved on.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:34 PM   #32
dickttx

I don't try to get the primer out of the plastic fingers. My tubes all have one there.