The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 4, 2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Travis15

Thinking about buying a S&W 637

I've been thinking a lot about buying a smith and Wesson 637 Air weight in 38 special +P.

This being my first revolver, I have a few questions.

1. What does the +P mean?

2. Are they comfortable to shoot?

3. Is it worth buying?

Thanks.
Old March 4, 2015, 10:59 AM   #2
243winxb

+P is a more powerful loading than standard 38 special. A 15 oz revolver with +P ammo is not comfortable to shoot. Yes, worth buying and shooting standard 38 ammo for practice and work up to the +P for defense.
Old March 4, 2015, 11:20 AM   #3
AK103K

If you can, Id suggest finding a friend who has one, or something similar, like 642/442, and shoot it first. These lightweight snubbies really arent beginners guns, and are a bit more difficult to shoot well with, especially reactively.

They can be quite brutal with realistic loadings, and that will tend to discourage proper practice with them. I shoot one a couple of times a month to stay on top of them, and my hand hates me for a day or so afterwards, and thats only after a 50 round box.

I dont believe in the practice with light stuff and then load it with hot stuff for use. The difference between wadcutters and performance ammo can be, and usually is, quite dramatic.

If you like the revolvers, I personally think a 4" K or L frame would be a better choice.
Old March 4, 2015, 11:44 AM   #4
2damnold4this

The Airweight .38s are easy to carry but difficult to shoot well. Lot's of dry firing and then practice with mild loads will help build skill. There are also some good standard pressure .38 loads for self defense such as Hornady's 110 grain Critical Defense.
Old March 4, 2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Travis15

thanks for the response.

are they that much worse then a .380?

if just standard 38 special loads are to jumpy I can always just load some light rounds for target.

I guess I should have stated that this wont be my main carry gun. my EDC is a m&p 40C.
Old March 4, 2015, 11:55 AM   #6
saf11

Travis, you are getting good advice from these guys.
Old March 4, 2015, 12:09 PM   #7
AK103K

They are a good bit different than the .380's.

You can load them down, but if youre going to carry it, I think you need to shoot loads in practice that are close to what you carry, but thats just me.

If you are thinking of carrying it, Id also suggest looking into the 442/642's. They are the hammerless, DAO versions. If you go with the 637, forget it has a thumb cock option, and learn to shoot it DAO.

Trust me, its worth the little extra effort in the beginning you have to put forth. Hammer or not, DA revolvers are meant to be shot DA. In the long run, you will be a much better shooter all around, and with most any platform, rifle, pistol, whatever, once you learn to shoot DAO.
Old March 4, 2015, 12:25 PM   #8
smee78

Or if you want to be able to cock the hammer and carry snag free then look at a S&W638. I load practice loads and carry the Speer short barrel 38spl rounds.
Old March 4, 2015, 12:36 PM   #9
fastbolt

If I was standing on the range and heard someone giving the same advice as AK103K is offering in this thread, I'd not disagree.

Even experienced DA revolver shooters can find the little 5-shot Airweights tougher to shoot than the all-steel models. The very attributes which make the lightweight snubs so attractive and handy, one of which is significantly lighter weight, usually also make them harder to shoot. I'd certainly not consider them an ideal "beginner revolver" gun. Better a larger 6-shot DA revolver for that role.

Some folks don't mind the robust felt recoil of the Airweights loaded with +P (meaning in the newer models rated for +P loads, marked as such on the barrels). They aren't pleasant, though. An unpleasant range experience usually isn't conducive to making someone want to practice frequently.

A larger & heavier 6-shot .38 Spl revolver is a pretty good choice for learning to become a skilled revolver shooter.

An all-steel 5-shot snub, and the use of standard pressure ammo, is a good way to help prevent unnecessary "anticipatory flinch" from interfering with learning to shoot a snub. Makes for more pleasant range sessions, too (compared to the 11-15oz snubs).

Some folks prefer to stay with standard pressure loads in the lighter 5-shot snubs even once they've developed their DA revolver skills.

I'm a long time revolver shooter, myself. I carried a couple of issued service revolvers for several years back before we eventually transitioned to hi-cap 9's at the end of the 80's. I happen to like S&W J-frames, and own more than half a dozen of them.
Old March 4, 2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Grant D

I have four J frame revolvers, a 637 and 37 air weights, and a model 36, and model 60.
Are they uncomfortable to shoot? Yes
Is it worth buying ? again yes.
I run about two or three cylinders full each time I go to the range when shooting my other revolvers.
Old March 4, 2015, 01:33 PM   #11
CajunBass

I resisted the Sirens call of the J-frame 38 for years, until a few weeks ago I purchased a 442 for myself and a 642 for my wife. Nice little guns and a joy to carry.

We took them to the range and shot them with some of my standard pressure 125 grain JFP bullet reloads. No problem at all in the airweights.

Then I pulled out a box of 125 grain JHP Blazer aluminum case P+ ammo. Now I have no idea how powerful this stuff actually is, but boys and girls, let me tell you it has a LOT more bark and "pop" than my reloads do. My reloads go "bang". These things go "BANG." My reloads have a "flash"...the Blazers have a "FLASH." The reloads have a mild "kick." The Blazers "KICK." Not a big problem to me, but I was surprised how much difference there actually was.

I'd never noticed that difference when shooting a steel K-frame.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 5, 2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Model12Win

With a tight squeeze and some trigger time, the .38 airweights really aren't that bad even with +P loads. Now if you have a poor grip they can buck around in your hand and that can lead to a sore hand at the end of the day.

I have a 642 no-lock and I just LOVE the gun. The 637 would be good too if you are interested in a more traditional look, you might also want to take a look at the 638 which can also be cocked for SA fire but the hammer is mostly concealed to reduce snagging. Frankly I think the benefit of SA fire in a snub revolver is pretty much not there, so I like my 642 "hammerless" model just fine.

What I would PERSONALLY do is seek out a range that rents airweight S&W .38 snubs. All of them should feel and recoil about the same, doesn't matter which model. Run a box of ammo through it and if it's too much or you don't think you could get used to it, I would go with something else. If you're comfortable with it, a Smith & Wesson J-frame airweight in .38 special is one of the finest CCW revolvers available at any price, and you frankly will not be disappointed. They are fantastic little guns IF you can shoot them well.

PS: Also, don't believe that these guns are useful only to bad breath distances. The people that say that are just the ones who can't shoot them well. I can routinely keep a 20-shot group of my carry load (Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 special +P 135 grain) in a 3" circle at 10 yards semi-rapid fire, and I'm by no means a great shot.
Old March 5, 2015, 04:34 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
thanks for the response.

are they that much worse then a .380?
Depends on the size. A micro .380 like an LCP is a handful.

Quote:
1. What does the +P mean?
Teh Wikipedia on it. Especially note the section on "standards".

Quote:
2. Are they comfortable to shoot?
Can be. The Charter Undercover I just got rid of was 16 oz, and perfectly comfortable to shoot. A lot depends on what grips you have on it.

Quote:
3. Is it worth buying?
Can be.

Ask me in a week or two, when I've had a chance to shoot the S&W 642 Airweight I just bought.

I can tell already that I'll be wanting to replace the grips.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 5, 2015, 04:47 PM   #14
AK103K

Quote:
Now if you have a poor grip they can buck around in your hand and that can lead to a sore hand at the end of the day.
Even with a firm grip, they get tedious pretty fast, and it doesnt take all day.

What kind of grips are on the gun can aggravate things some too. How they fit your hand makes a big difference.

Ive seen a lot of J frames with over sized grips on them that may make the more comfortable to shoot with, but make them almost pointless for concealment.

The boot type grips are better for concealment, but not necessarily comfortable. Some brands are better than others for fit for me, but none have ever really felt right.

I prefer the old service type wood stocks with a Tyler T grip. They offer the smallest profile and best in concealment, and are still very comfortable in your hand. I find the gun is easier to quickly get a hold of, and get a good grip, with no movement while shooting.

As far as shooting at longer distances, its certainly the shooter that is the weakest point, as with most any gun. Ive seen a couple of people make some pretty impressive long distance shots (out to 100 yards) with a snubbie.

My biggest complaint with them isnt the accuracy, its that they run dry way to quick.
Old March 5, 2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Pawatch

I have a SW 442 and they take some practice to shoot consistent groups. For me it wasn't a gun you pick up and shoot quater sized groups. Practice Practice
I would hold off on the hotter ammo until you get used to the gun.
Excellent posts up above!!! Great advice!

As far as recoil depending the ammo,it can have some bite to it.
For me I don't think it has as much as the LCP.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:40 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

The 637 is one of the best snubs on the market and certainly worth it.

For range, I'd suggest regular .38 ammo as +P can be a little snappy.

The .38 is a better option than the .380 as a self defense round. That said, the .380 is typically chambered in much smaller guns than the Airweight and it's hard to offer an apples to apples comparison on felt recoil between the two.
Old March 5, 2015, 11:49 PM   #17
mauiglide

I bought a S&W Model 638 about three years ago. I didn't think this gun would have as much recoil but it does even with standard factory ammo. After a while I got used to it but the first time I shot it, my hand was quite sore (200 rounds both standard and +P ammo). In regards to accuracy, I was pretty much all over the place at 10 yards. At 7 yards I could maybe keep my shots on a dinner paper plate. I realized that it would take a bit of an effort and lots of expensive rounds to shoot better. I do like the gun but I feel it would be for more of a up close and personal scenario use.
Old March 6, 2015, 06:39 AM   #18
tallball

I love my 38 snub.

4" medium-framed 357 or 38 is a better first revolver, imho.

But a DAO snub is a great carry piece if you can shoot it decently.
Old March 6, 2015, 05:06 PM   #19
Travis15

thanks for all the great responses,

I went to my local gun store yesterday and they had one of these available for rent with the exposed hammer. so I rented that and bought 100 rounds of ammo and at 5 yards I did really well but when it got out to 10-15 yards they kinda went every where. however each round stayed on the paper so that's a plus.

after testing the gun out I think im going to try and buy one in the next week or two if the funds a available.