The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
TheNatureBoy

Browning A5 12 gauge w/32" Barrel Magnum

I'm about the pull the trigger (no pun intended) on the above mentioned shotgun. My hunting buddy is giving me a deal that I cannot refuse. All he wants is my Russian Baikal, $50 and a 12 pack of Corrona (I volunteered to help him to get rid of these). Its fully operational and was used during a hunt this past season. My question isn't about whether or not I should make the deal. Thats a no brainer. The stock is in good shape and all of the blueing is gone. He took it to gun shop to have the rings replaced and it was dated 1959. Heres my question. Would you have any work (stock/blueing) done to this firearm? I understand that doing so decreases its value but I'm not really concearned about that. I never sell my firearms once I get them.
Old January 19, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
jrothWA

RECHECK the SN on that A5!

my acquired information indicated that 12gaMAG were 1976 and the last three should be "151". ex: 01001RT151

A 1959 A5 should be: 8"X"2000 with the "X" being either a; M=standard weight
or a: G=light weight

THe left receiver side face should indicate "12 MAGNUM" or other verbage.

If states Standard or lightweight, then the barrel is not correct.

Check the barrel left side above forearm wood , before the receiver edge, there will be an "oval" with either 12/70 or 12/75, this is the chamber length as made.

A 12MAG barrel will not fit or work on a standard A5 receiver nor will a standard barrel work on a MAG receiver. the mag tube ring on barrel is differently spaced.

If its acorrect for the receiver markings , enjoy the beer! Need some salsa and chips?

In the early 70's , the "V" was added to SN indicating the "MAG" receiver,
that configuration is: YY V XXXXX, Y= last two of year, V= MAG, XXXX the SN sequence for that year.

Try also the following:
www.browningfireams.com & www. shotgunworld.com , menu to Browning loveres forum, for more info.

Last edited by jrothWA; January 20, 2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: SN info added
Old January 19, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

I would reblue the gun, chances are there is not a great collector intrest.
The Brits refurbish there shotguns all the time. After a shooting season the guns are sent to the smith for cleaning and any repair work needed, that includes refinish of the metal or stock.

And a Browning A5 Magnum looks just great when reblued correctly. As far as loosing any value, check the Turnbull web site and look at some of the refurbished guns they have for sale.

If you choose to reblue check into Art's gun shop, they specialize in doing Browning work. Don't trust the gun to a local smith, but send to one who will do the work correctly.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
TheNatureBoy

Hey jroth thanks for that information. I distinctly remember seeing "magnum" stamped on the left side of the receiver. We're (current) owner are gonna get together this saturday. I will provide deals then.

Getting ready to check out that sight jaguar
Old January 19, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
TheNatureBoy

2 thumbs up for Arts. Definietly will go with them for resto.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6
TheNatureBoy

The serial number on that Browning is 9V 7471. Magnum is etched on the left side of the receiver. Special Steel 12 gauge-shells 3", 12-75. On top of the barrel is Browning Co. St. Louis Mo., Montreal P.O.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7
jrothWA

The single nine (9) stands for...

1999, V the Magnum reciever and the 1-9999 SN for that year.

Last of the great one.

ENJOY it!

Recommend you download the parts list from website and order new friction rings (2) and steel rings (3) and new recoil spring.
These will ensure your A5 cycles nicely.

Keep old parts to try using 2-3/4" regular shell that might cycle the action, the new parts will be used for 2-3/4 magnum loads.

JHR
Old January 27, 2012, 09:27 PM   #8
TheNatureBoy

You need a degree in Egyptian hieroglyphics to understand the Browning A5 ID process.