The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 2, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
BoringAccountant

Police need assistance?

This is a situation I encountered last night while leaving work...

I dont work in the nicest area...crime is prevalent because we are very close to a major city, Baltimore, MD. Last night while leaving work I saw a police car, with one police officer, stopped across the street, which across from the building I work in is a huge vacant lot back off the road from everything and not visible by anyone. As I was getting into my vehicle I noticed he had two suspects against his car patting them down. Now I know that some of my perceptions can be distorted from Hollywood and are probably a little extreme, but the first thing that ran throught my mind is what if these guys overpower that officer? I mean I dont know how often suspects resist, I would assume depending on what they are being held for, but if they were to start fighting with him, they could easily overpower him (2 large suspects against 1 "average" sized LEO). So I waited in my vehicle across the street just watching until his backup got there. My question is...was I right in waiting there across the street not interfering but just watching to make sure nothing happened until his backup arrived, or does that kind of freak the LEO out even more?

I would definitely be willing to help if the officer needed assistance in any way, but if the LEO saw another possible suspect walking or sitting in a vehicle watching him, when he's already outnumbered, does that create more problems rather than help?

I thought about it alot last night and just wanted a few other opinions, preferably a few LEO's who have encountered such a situation.
Old March 2, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Prophet

Sounds fine to me its not like you did anything wrong. Waiting and watching with the intent to help if needed isn't doing anything wrong.
Old March 2, 2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Dwight55

I have basically done the same, . . . and will continue to do so.

Once I see all is under control, . . . I make my exit as inconspicuously as I would otherwise normally do.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 2, 2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Doug.38PR

Good man! You did right in my opinion. Approaching the situation prematurely I would think might make the policeman a little nervous (he doesn't know who you are) As long as he has things under control you don't need to get into it.

Of course I'm sure there are some here who will tell you you should have just moved on and "let the police handle it" and to think otherwise is just someone with a "hero complex"
Old March 2, 2007, 08:37 PM   #5
tlm225

Thank you for what you did and how you did it sir.
Old March 2, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6
cheygriz

Y'all done real good, bubba!

Seriously, you did the right thing. But always have your cell phone handy, and call 911 to let them know that you're going to get involved in helping the officer before you get out of your car, so responding back up officers don't mistake you for one of the BGs.
Old March 4, 2007, 10:17 PM   #7
FM12

Have a cell phone ready to call and ask for assistance FIRST if needed...pay attention to the "subjects" and their dress, weapons, direction of travel and any vehicle if something should go awry...in other words, also be a good witness, if the need arises! If you HAVE to respond, hold your hands up HIGH when the calvary arrives, and they sort out all of the details. FM12