The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2005, 07:43 PM   #1
JWM

PPC 50 yard load

I'm using a slightly modified S&W 686 for a PPC gun. I'm having a devil of a time trying to create an accurate 50 yard .38 special wadcutter load for the
50 yard line. For the record, factory 148 grain wadcutters from Remington and Winchester give me excellent groups with this gun, but I can't afford extensive practice with factory ammo. I need a cheap but accurate handload. I have a Dillion Square Deal-B press. So far, my combinations have been Hornady, Speer, and Remington HBWC with 3.2 grains of WW231 in Remington .38 special cases. Nothing even comes close to the factory wadcutters. What I'm doing wrong ? The Dillion tech years ago steered me away from Bullseye powder because he said it would not meter uniformly in my press. So, that is why I prefer to stick with a ball type powder. Any ideas for an accurate load for PPC at the 50 yard line with my 686 ??
Old August 4, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

JWM, the components sound right. I use 3.1 grains of 231, but that should not make a difference.

Just maybe you are oversizing your cases and damaging those very soft HBWC in seating. Many sizers are far too tight. I have also run into cases, mostly +P, that had far too much wall taper to be used with HBWC.

I don't pretend that is an answer, just something to check out. An expander the full length of the seating depth is worth a try.
Old August 4, 2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Quantrill

My standard .38spec. load for bullseye (also PPC in the distant past) is 2.5gr of 700X. I have always used my own cast bullets of Lyman #358495, Lyman #35891 or H&G#50, not interchangeably sized .358/9. Quantrill
Old August 5, 2005, 07:28 AM   #4
LAH

Could it be the bullet isn't fitting correctly? The load you are using should work fine.

You said: The Dillion tech years ago steered me away from Bullseye powder because he said it would not meter uniformly in my press.

I load "a lot" of Bullseye powder with my Dillon powder measure. I've not found this statement to be true. I don't have some fancy scale that goes to .001 grains but I check powder weight with each primer tube drop and the Bullseye varies no more than 231 for me.