The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 2, 2015, 02:13 AM   #1
Panoply

NAA Derringer Ballistics?

Hello All,

I am brand new here, and here I am with a bizarre request for help.

Does anyone know much about NAA derringers? I like the exceptionally small size and am seriously considering purchasing one. I am seeking info and feedback from any and all.

The two that have caught my eye are the NAA-22MC-P, a 1 & 5/8ths inch .22 magnum model with a ported barrel that comes with an extra cylinder to switch to LR - each holding 5rnds and secondly the NAA-PUG-D, or 'Pug,' which is a 1" .22 magnum w/ no extra cylinder, also 5rnds. The Pug is only marginally smaller than the 22MC-P. I recognize it's silly so don't need y'all reminding me, but it appeals to me because I have had 2 pug dogs, currently belonging to the second. I lean towards the 22MC-P because of the longer barrel, the ports and, most importantly, that interchangeable cylinder.

Do any of y'all have direct experience of either of these pistols? Or even just with that line by NAA? I'd appreciate hearing y'alls feedback, recommendations & observations. Anything. Well, anything constructive - if you're just going to blast me with abuse I'd ask you not to.

Any and all help would be a big help.

Thanks & God Bless,
Panoply
Old March 2, 2015, 03:03 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

The NAA revolvers are a quality item.

However... with those barrel lengths (and especially with a ported 1-5/8" barrel for the .22 WMR*), you're better off with .22 LR.
.22 WMR gives you a very slight advantage over .22 LR, in performance, but you get a huge amount of muzzle flash to go with it.

I'm a big .22 WMR fan, and I even have several .22 WMR barrels for some derringers that I own. ...But with a 1-5/8" barrel (or shorter effective length), I'd rather use .22 LR.

(.22 WMR is the proper designation for ".22 Mag".)
Old March 2, 2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Auto5

I have the NAA Sheriff with both cylinders, but I've only shot .22lr in it. The 2.5 inch barrel may give the .22WMR a little boost. I'll let you know, if I ever find some reasonably priced .22WMR ammo.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:22 AM   #4
ds-10-speed

Ballistics

Look here:

http://northamericanarms.com/ballistics

22 Magnum Hornady 45gr FTX Critical Defense fired from NAA Mini-Revolver with 1 1/8″ barrel

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OS_KS1U3aBk

Last edited by ds-10-speed; March 2, 2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added link
Old March 2, 2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Model12Win

On the NAA website they have ballistic tables for their mini revolvers, with a variety of loads.
Old March 2, 2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Obambulate

Get the Pug. It's an awesome little gun.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:21 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
22 Magnum Hornady 45gr FTX Critical Defense fired from NAA Mini-Revolver with 1 1/8″ barrel

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OS_KS1U3aBk
Yes... But, remember that that is a specialty load. Unless you use THAT load, performance will be dramatically less impressive.

And, at least where I have been looking, finding that load or the Speer "short barrel" Gold Dot load for a reasonable price is about as easy as finding quality .22 LR in stock for less than $50 / brick.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:42 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

Recent NAA thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559389
Old March 2, 2015, 08:46 PM   #9
MR.G

Have owned a few NAA mini revolvers over the years in .22 LR. and .22 magnum. I have found them to be well made guns, and fun to shoot. I have put thousands of rounds through a couple of them with no problems.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:47 PM   #10
TXAZ

Isn't mentioning "derringers" and "ballistics" in the same sentence a crime in some states?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 3, 2015, 07:11 AM   #11
darkgael

Ballistics

If NAA data is to be trusted, the difference between .22lr and .22WMR is considerably more than "slight" at all barrel lengths.
Interestingly....I found the data for the .22lr in the 1 5/8ths barrel much lower than expected. I have chrono'd SV CCI .22lr out of a slightly longer 1 7/8ths barrel and had average velocities 160 fps more than the NAA data....could a 1/4" make that much difference (and the gun was a revolver). I think not.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:45 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Yes, 1/4" can make a difference on a sub-2 inch barrel. As barrel length grows, small differences in length/velocity become less evident.
Old March 3, 2015, 02:16 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

I can't comment on LR, or Magnum ballistics, but I will say the NAA Mini Revolver is well made, and fun to shoot. Even in it's smallest form, the 22 Short Mini Revolver. I bought one last summer just because I thought they were interesting. I figured if I was getting a Mini Revolver I would get the miniest. I haven't had a chance to check the velocity over my chrony, but will when the weather warms up a bit.
I wouldn't use it for serious CCW, but for a last ditch BUG to my BUG it would probably make a bad guy consider an alternative course of action.
For an interesting, and fun range toy it fills the roll very well. In fact, I will probably get a 22 LR, and maybe Magnum in the future.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 3, 2015, 04:07 PM   #14
horselips

I have owned 3 NAA Mini Revolvers and carried one for 25+ years now. They are crafted entirely from stainless steel and fitted with beautiful rosewood grips. Mine is a .22 Magnum with the looooong, way out there, 1 5/8" barrel. NAA guns are assembled like Swiss watches - skillfully fit and finished, and their lifetime warranty is for real. The one time my relentless abuse resulted in needing a repair, they sent me a free shipping label, repaired and returned my gun in 10 days, all at no cost. And instead of just fixing the problem, they enclosed a replaced parts list that indicated they practically rebuilt the whole thing. No kidding - buy with confidence.

And now for the .22WMR (.22 magnum) caliber. Times have changed and it isn't our daddy's .22Mag anymore. Advances in bullet design and propellant formulation have resulted in a whole range of self-defense loads tailored specifically to perform well in very short barreled mini revolvers and derringers. Hornady's Critical Defense, Winchester's PDX1, and Speer's Gold Dot, among others, all assure around a thousand feet per second velocity, penetration equal to .380 ACP (12" in ballistic gel), and reliable expansion. Some 50 grain loads will deliver 13" of penetration. Some of these hi-tech loads also offer greatly reduced muzzle flash should you need to fire at night. The 5-5-5-5 drill is no problem. (5 rounds in a 5" circle at 5 yards in 5 seconds). I never feel undergunned.

Rule #1 - Have a gun. The single most important consideration in choosing a carry gun is that you can actually carry it, every day without exception, regardless of season, no matter what you're wearing or not wearing. The diminutive NAA mini revolver is a true pocket pistol that is comfortable, and doesn't print if you stretch, sit, bend or reach. And nothing about size, weight or wardrobe ever gives you a reason to leave home without it.

These guns are reliable, accurate, carry-able, and with modern ammunition, they hit way above their 6.2 ounce weight.
Old March 3, 2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Doc Holliday 1950

NAA 5 shot mag

I've had mine for 14 yrs. and now my wife keeps it with her at all times. It's fairly accurate and use the expensive stuff. I found it works better and it's noisy as the dickens. So yes, I vote for the NAA 1&5/8" 5 shot mag.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:33 PM   #16
ds-10-speed

Mini 1 1/8" ported model

I bought my first NAA mini last year and I really like it, don't know why I waited so long. The problem I see with them is that more than one may happen soon.

It inspired me make some accessories for it.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

All those new "short barrel" .22 WMR loads work well in barrels of 4" plus. They don't do much for the ultra short barrels. Check the specs and see what length test barrel was used. You'll be surprised.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:17 PM   #18
darkgael

Fps

Bill:
Quote:
Yes, 1/4" can make a difference on a sub-2 inch barrel. As barrel length grows, small differences in length/velocity become less evident.
I agree....to a point. A difference, yes, but not 160 fps.
Old March 4, 2015, 10:52 AM   #19
Tortuga12

I've got a 1 5/8 mag model, and the .22 conversion cylinder. I like it, makes a good "anytime" gun when I don't want to wear something bigger/heavier. That being said, if I had to do it again, I would have shelled out a little more for the Black Widow. Much better sights, a bit more barrel length, and IMO better looking too. I'm one of the few that likes the standard grips on these things, I think, I tried the rubber slip on grip, but it didn't do anything for me.

From what I've seen online (so, take a big grain of salt!), there is a measurable velocity gain with most .22 mag ammo vs. .22 LR. However, it's not a big gain, and the increase in flash and noise may be more detrimental than helpful. However, between the gain in velocity, and the better bullet construction, I usually end up keeping the .22 mag cylinder in my gun. If you decide to go with .22 LR, it seems that CCI Mini-Mags are some of the better performers out there. YMMV.
Old March 8, 2015, 08:02 PM   #20
Armybrat

They are neat little guns - very well made. But as I posted in the other thread, I can't hit much of anything with them over 10' away.

Old March 9, 2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Obambulate

I have the Black widow, my wife carries the Pug. I consider these a step above the standard minis, due to the better sights, heftier constriction, and more secure cylinder pin. I like the nonfluted cylinder on the Black Widow and the rubber grips.
Old March 9, 2015, 03:24 PM   #22
Whirlwind06

I have the 22 mag standard model, I put on the fatter grips. Once I figured out how to aim it, it's not bad. I get light strikes every once in a while though. I guess it's needs to go back to NAA for a tune up.

Last edited by Whirlwind06; March 11, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old March 11, 2015, 06:22 PM   #23
stmcelroy

I have quite a few of the NAA mini's and the PUG & Black Widow are by far my favorites.

Great little guns and very good deep carry options for when you can't carry a "real" gun.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Captains1911

NAA does not make Derringers.
Old March 11, 2015, 09:29 PM   #25
Super Sneaky Steve

From my Pug

CCI 40gr JHP 883fps 69ft/lbs
Federal 50gr JHP 719fps 63ft/lbs

Both cartridges are WMR.

Tags
.22 magnum , derringer , naa