The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 28, 2015, 11:59 AM   #1
tallman85

Hello...need help with a revolver

Hello. I always liked the revolvers and now after many many years i might aquiere one. All i know is that it is a Montenegrin prob Belgian and does not look to be in a very good condition.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130037...3/16661511055/

See picture in link.

Not much info on the net....any help please? How much are they worth? Are they prestigious? Do you recommend them? Can they be restored?

Many thanks in advance
Old February 28, 2015, 01:01 PM   #2
lee n. field

You know you're not going to be shooting this, right, even if restored?

What do you want a revolver for?

Old 19th century Belgian guns might be good, might be crap (even when new).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 28, 2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Sgt127

What country are you in? For a gun for shooting, I can't imagine a more impractical gun. A S&W model 10 .38 special revolver would be a whole lot better gun. Are you limited to what you can own?
Old February 28, 2015, 01:32 PM   #4
tallman85

Hello. Thanks for the reply. Well i know this wont fire but i really love antiques and western style revolvers are my favourite. I am located in malta (europe) so a bit limited whats around...of course there is always the internet.

So any suggestions what else i can buy? Western style.

What about value of the Montenegrin. Well it would be nice to fire it once in a while...i am referring to other brands.

Thanks.
Old February 28, 2015, 01:42 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those guns were made in Belgium, France, and Spain, but also in other countries. Guns made for Montenegro (literally "Black Mountain") were usually in 11.75 mm (.46 caliber). Power was low in spite of the large caliber.

That one looks to be in good shape and has some engraving.

BUT, be careful. Recently, some folks have begun to round up all sorts of 19th century guns, including pinfires, putting on some cheap engraving and giving them a quick re-blue job, with or without gold plating. The guns are then sold to novice collectors in the U.S. and elsewhere for prices ranging up to $5000, often with stories about ownership by royalty. Since original guns of that type usually sell for $100-200 even in good condition, there is a decent profit to be made.

Those guns are attractive to some people since they are antiques and exempt from many laws controlling the traffic in modern weapons. However, ammunition is obsolete and rarely available in any quantity, and even if modern ammunition will fit, it would probably be dangerous to fire.

Jim
Old February 28, 2015, 01:56 PM   #6
tallman85

Thanks Jim very informative. No this is definitely a genuine, no doubt in that. These used to belong to old policemen here, so its documented. So what you think Jim, how much should i bargain? What would you pay if it were you? Thanks
Old February 28, 2015, 02:34 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know anything about the economy of Malta so I don't know what would be considered a high or low price in Euros, but if the gun were on sale here and I wanted it, I probably would not go much over $200 (€178). I might go more if I could actually see and hold the gun and learn more about it.

Jim
Old February 28, 2015, 02:42 PM   #8
tallman85

Thanks Jim. Any western style rev that you can mention to me as other alternative?

Thx
Old February 28, 2015, 02:55 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know of any Western style revolvers now being made except in the U.S. and Italy. The Italian revolvers by Uberti are a very good combination of quality and reasonable cost. Whether they would be available in Malta, I don't know, but they would probably be more available there than Colts or Rugers.

Jim
Old February 28, 2015, 05:20 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
So any suggestions what else i can buy? Western style.
Western style. There's a couple companies in Italy that make good quality & fire-able reproductions of United Statesian Old West revolvers. One is Pietta. The other would be Uberti.

These might be black powder cap and ball revolvers, black powder cartridge revolvers, or able to shoot modern ("smokeless") cartridges.

Take a look at their stuff.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 28, 2015, 08:30 PM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

There is nothing 'Western' about that revolver. If you want something 'Western' look into the replicas made by Uberti.
Old February 28, 2015, 10:34 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

You mean Billy the Kid didn't carry an 11.75mm Montenegrin revolver? Did the guy who sold me the gun lie?

Jim
Old March 1, 2015, 04:48 AM   #13
tallman85

Very good stuff on their web! But is seems dealers are located only in the usa...but there must be a distributor in europe...i mean they are made in italy after all, 200 miles away from my country.

Very nice stuff indeed
Old March 1, 2015, 01:22 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Very good stuff on their web! But is seems dealers are located only in the usa...but there must be a distributor in europe...i mean they are made in italy after all, 200 miles away from my country.
Uberti is a subsidiary of Beretta. Check with whoever distribures Beretta.

Chiappa and Pedersoli are another couple nearby (to you) makers of "Old West" replicas to look into.
Old March 1, 2015, 02:24 PM   #15
tallman85

Ahh, good to know that...thanks, this is a great forum with lots of knowledge.
Old March 1, 2015, 07:13 PM   #16
lee n. field

Also, check out the capandball Youtube channel. They guy's a Hungarian who's into black powder firearms of the period you're interested in. Audios are in English and (what I presume is) Hungarian.
Old March 2, 2015, 03:48 PM   #17
Model12Win

Uberti is a great company, they make great cap n' balls and centerfire Old West revolvers!
Old March 2, 2015, 08:57 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

Lock, Stock and Barrel in Santa Venera handles Uberti, but I don't know if that is cartridge guns or only percussion revolvers.

Jim
Old March 3, 2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

According to Cartridges of the World the 11mm Montenegro revolver cartridge churned out about 330 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle.

That's actually not bad at all, and was on part with a number of American cartridges of the same time frame.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.