The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2009, 06:51 AM   #1
CENTURION1945

Mixing same powders from differents cans

Hi all: I have 2 cans, differents lots of Blue Dot powder. One of them has just some 150 gr. the other is recently open but already used. Bullets velocities with the same charge and components differ a bit: some 33 fps average. Should I mix this powders in the hopper of the powder measure and go on, or spend separately until finihs the old one? Thank you for the help.
Old June 13, 2009, 07:40 AM   #2
FALPhil

The beauty of canister powders is that the performance is supposed to be the same from lot to lot. Back when powder was cheap, if I had a tablespoon or two left over, I would dump it on the old lady's flowers (the stuff is fantastic fertilizer!). These days I use every last grain.

I have heard a lot of guys complain that Varget has significant variances across lots, but I have not experienced that personally. I only use Blue Dot in 9x19. There was some talk about a recall on a lot of Blue Dot some time ago. You might want to research it.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
snuffy

Some people get their panties in a knot when it comes to mixing the last of a previous can of powder with a new can. They claim you MUST re-work your loads with the new powder. As long as the physical appearance of the powder is the same,(looks alike), mix it well with the new powder. That's what I do.

The problem with blu-dot is on this thread stickied at the top of this forum;
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=303766

It's NOT a recall, just an advisory that certain calibers of revolvers shouldn't be loaded with blu-dot.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 13, 2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Dannyl

Local manufacturer says it is safe to mix them

Hi,
I live in South Africa, and have been reloading since 91'.
long ago I asked the same question of the person who used to be a senior employee in the local powder manufacturing company and in fact he wrote their manual.
According to him, their powder is consistent so there is no variation in burn-rates from one lot to another.

As long as I mix THE SAME POWDER, there is not problem.

My answer to you, ask the manufacturer of your powder, I am pretty sure that their answer will be the same and you will be able to mix, but play it safe.

BRGDS,
Danny
Old June 13, 2009, 02:13 PM   #5
CENTURION1945

Mixing same powder from different cans

Ok, Thanks for the imput, I mixed it today. Before this I did some loads with powder from bouth cans, same charge and they give different velocitys in the 30 fps range. I will measure again with the powder mixed.
Old June 13, 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Right Wing Wacko

If a powder is so different from bottle to bottle that it can't be mixed, I don't want to be using it!

Once I work up a load, I need to depend on that being correct, and not having to do it all over again when I purchase another pound of powder.
Old June 13, 2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Archie

A total of 150 grains from the old can?

Dump it in the new can and shake it to mix it well.

If you are loading at 'MAX', you might want to drop back a grain or so. But any reasonable load shouldn't show serious difference.

By the way, a 30 fps difference between (the average velocity of) load 'A' and load 'B' is probably less than or equal to the maximum spread for velocities in a ten shot string of either load.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 14, 2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Randy 1911

The problem I have seen in mixing powder of different lots is weight. A powder measure measures by volume. The powder of two different lots of the same powder can weigh different for the same volume. If you check the weight every so often, one in fifty, there should be no problem.
Old June 14, 2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Slamfire

I will mix same powders of different lots if they are of recent production.

I would not recommend mixing 15 - 20 year old powder with new. Powder has a shelf life.

The Army scraps double based ammunition at 20 years, single based 45 years.

Which means they had decided that at 20 years, double based powders are near the end of their shelf lives.

I have had half of the surplus IMR 4895 I purchased go bad in the bottle. So I know powder goes bad.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:19 AM   #10
FM12

I mix and go, no problems.
Old June 15, 2009, 03:47 PM   #11
D. Manley

I think too much is made of this. I use a lot of different powders and habitually mix the remainder of a near-empty jug with a new one. I do this for a couple of reasons...one, I fill my measure when loading even, for a small run. Secondly, I have limited space in my powder storage (and, it's full) so I reduce the number of containers as much as possible. If there's any ill effect of mixing them I sure have'nt noticed it.