The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2024, 09:38 AM   #1
Wyoredman

7mm WSM with Berger 195gr Elite Hunter Bullets

Has anyone experimented with the Berger 195gr Elite Hunter bullets in the 7mm WSM?

I am curious because I came across a box of the Berger 195's at an auction and was wondering if they would work in the WSM (short action).

At first glance, it appears they would be too long and would need seated too far into the case. I also do not find any data for them in the WSM from Berger.

If anyone has tried them in the 7mmWSM, please let me know what you tried? COAL is important. Powders are as well.

Thanks.
Old April 23, 2024, 11:14 AM   #2
stagpanther

That must be a pretty new bullet--it doesn't even appear on their own twist stability calculator though the bullet description says 9 twist is fine. I do have their 190 hybrid targets which I use for my 7mm STW--which interestingly have a lower BC/SD value than these 195's....glad I read your post.

I'm guessing these are intended for very large capacity magnum class 7mm--like the STW, RUM and 28 nosler--doesn't seem much point to me in driving a heavy bullet for intermediate distance when a lighter one would likely do just as well or better; but that's just speculation on my part.
Old April 23, 2024, 12:30 PM   #3
Wyoredman

https://bergerbullets.com/product/7-...-elite-hunter/

This is the bullet.

It is 1.648" long. Pretty extreme.

My rifle has a 1:8 twist barrel. I have shot the Berger 175gr pretty successfully. But I loaded the 175 gr bullets to COAL of 2.865". Looks like I may need to stretch the COAL out to 2.999"? Not sure if my chamber will handle that length.
Old April 23, 2024, 02:43 PM   #4
georgehwbush

that link says they are exactly like the "Berger Hybrid Target series" except the jacket is thiner. for more expansion at lower velocity basicly. so i would compare to a hybrid target bullet of as near as possible weight. and go from there. but no. i have never tried them.
Old April 23, 2024, 08:03 PM   #5
stagpanther

I have a 270 WSM, one of the drawbacks to the WSM in general is that long high SD bullets eat up internal capacity real estate if the freebore isn't long enough to seat long, and the WSM was after all marketed at short actions. Should be pretty easy to simply use a modified case to see how long you can seat the bullet--might not be enough even for the base of ogive to clear the neck mouth--I don't know. 195 gr is a considerable way off from the 175 gr commonly seen as the max weight bullet--I would suggest trying the 180, 183 and 185 as intermediates first. The 183 gr matchkings, BTW, I have found to be excellent performing "big 7's."