The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
3.Shot.Group.

Range Report SA Mil. Spec.

Made me up some targets and went out behind the pond to figure out if it's me or the gun. I think it's a little of both. I used my range finder to determine the distances for each target.

In total I shot 7, 7 round magazines for a total of 49 rounds. All shots were taken strong hand.

I set up my first target and stepped back to 7 yrds.

I set up my second target and stepped back to the 10 yard line

I set up a third target and lazed to find 15 yards and fired 7 rounds.

I finished up by shooting 4 magazines at one target, 1 mag at each distance from 20, 15, 10, and 7 yards respectively. The one shot you see circled is the only round that hit the cardboard from 20 yards.

I could see that I was pulling off on some of the shots, probably most of them, but I could only see it on some, because I was looking for other things at different times, which probably added to my inaccuracy a bit.

The biggest issue I noticed was the very short trigger, as I've pointed out in other threads, it has some free travel, and it's toooo short. I'm up in the air as to whether to send it back to Springfield to do the trigger work or take it to a gunsmith, there is an excellent shop in the area, but they have a 3 week back log, and with deer season coming fast it's only going to get worse. I would just send it to SA, but I'm having too much fun shooting it.

Recounted: I've put 322 rounds through it, and the more I shoot it, the more I like shootin it.

Last edited by 3.Shot.Group.; September 14, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old September 14, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
jad0110

The trigger on my SA Mil Spec also had a lot of play (creep) in it. It was also pretty rough with a jerky release. I had a local gunsmith (a retired USMC armorer) clean it up (he even installed a new sear b/c the factory sear was "a pooh that could not be polished"). My groups shrank dramatically after the trigger work. I didn't care what the pull weight was, I just wanted it to be smooth with a clean release. I think the pull weight went from 7.5 to 4.5 lbs.

Other than that, mine has been a great gun (though it does not like Blazer ammo) and I do carry it from time-to-time. Just be sure to change the recoil spring about every 1,000 rounds or so to maintain reliability.
Old September 15, 2013, 12:09 AM   #3
3.Shot.Group.

I think the sear on mine will probably need replacing, it has 3/16 take up, and a slight bit of creep.

The worst part of it is that it's so short that my finger is flattening out against the frame before the trigger breaks, and that causes me to pull the shot badly, either that or I have to focus so much on pressing the trigger in such a way as to not contact the frame with my finger that it takes my attention away from other aspects of the shot.

One thing is for sure, once I do get a good trigger in this thing, I'll be a better shot as a result of having to put so much effort into shooting it the way it is.

I've shot Remington UMC, not really sure if the gun likes it, probably have to try it again when it fixed. Also shot Hornady Steel Match HAP, it shoots well, but the truncated hollow points don't always feed well, and once failure to feed is too many. Shot Federal FMJ's they feed well, but seem to have a weaker grade of powder, they're heavier than Winchester white box, and their weights tend to vary a bit more. So far my favorite ammo is the Winchester white box, feds great, ejects more consistently(cases end up in a pile not scattered), and seems to group better.

BTW; How much did the trigger work cost you?