The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1
dougsmailboxx

10/22 magnum troubles

I am trying to find a firing pin for this gun but not having to much luck. Brownells has one there but the specs say there replacement for the 10/22 magnum is 3.3 inches long, well I just can't see this one doing me a hole lot of good when the one I pulled out is 3.7 and it seems to be falling short of consistantly hitting the ammo. If anyone knows the correct length I am looking for please let me know, perhaps I can put a small weld on it and grind it to spec. I took the gun apart yesterday to clean it and try to figure out why it won't eject properly and found the bolt stop pin was broken, oh ya I need one of those as well. Still holding onto hope that this gun will work correctly some day. Thankyou Doug
Old March 1, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2
DnPRK

The Power Custom firing pin sold by Brownells (#713-000-008) is the correct firing pin for the 10/22 magnum. I installed one in my rifle this past October. The FP tip is square, not pointed, but a phone call to Power Custom confirmed it is supposed to be that way.

Visit rimfirecentral.com for other tips on improving reliability and accuracy of your 10/22 magnum.
Old March 1, 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Wasper

Pin the old firing pin back in the bolt with the rebound spring. Use a punch or screwdriver to push the firing pin as far forward as it will go. Measure how far the FP is protruding. This measuremet is known as "absolute protrusion." You should have aproximately .040 ap. Make sure the gun is completely clean, nothing restricting the FP. Check the chamber for burrs etc.

As far as ejection, check the chamber as stated above. Make sure the ejector isn't bent, broken or worn. Check your extractor tension. Hold onto the bolt and slip a round under the extractor & onto the bolt face. Let go of the cartridge and shake the bolt mildly. The extractor should have enough tension to hold the round to the bolt face. Also check to ensure that the extractor hook is cut to a positive angle.

RJ at the GPC employee forums might be able to help on the FP length issue if no one on this foum has an answer. Here's a link:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/de...x?g=topics&f=7

Last edited by Wasper; March 1, 2011 at 07:55 PM.