The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
peteyb

Need help finding good 12 gauge buckshot

Was hoping somebody could help me out.

Ive been looking everywhere for deals but havnt been able to find much. The place I usually buy from only has Rio Royal Low Recoil 00 Buck 2 3/4" 9 pullet for $117 shipped for 250 rounds. Ive never shot Rio before are they any good?

Anyone shot the Rio low recoil buck or any low recoil buck for that matter? Ive never shot low recoil before but its the only thing this place has. How much less recoil we talkin about?

I also found Sellier & Bellot 2-3/4" 00 Buck 9 Pellets for 140$ shipped. From what I understand S&B buck is pretty good, but it seems a little high. Anybody have any suggestions or websites that have good deals?

I usually buy from smaller places that arent as widely-known as AIM, CTD, etc. since they usually have better prices.

thanks guys.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Donaldjr1969

I've shot a few of the low recoil loads. They do indeed have less recoil and a Federal low recoil 9pellet load feels (to me at least) between a 2-3/4dram and 3dram, 1-1/8oz target load. 8 pellet loads have the same powder charge. While I have yet to pattern and thus fire my Winchester Ranger low recoil 8pellet 00buck loads, I expect them to kick even less. I would guess them to be along the lines of a 1oz target load.

How many rounds do you need? I noticed you are talking about case quantities. However, my Ranger buckshot would be more expensive than the S&B and the Rio shells.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Nnobby45

Ammoman has LE Federal Tac 8 pellet. And more.

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm
Old December 15, 2010, 11:40 PM   #4
fourrobert13

Ammo to go or able ammo. They have the best prices I have seen. Both places are good to go. In fact, I expecting a package from able tomorrow.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:52 PM   #5
peteyb

I managed to find some Nobel Sport "Law Enforcement Buckshot" 2 3/4" 12 pellet 00 buckshot for $165 shipped for 250 rounds.

Anybody have anything good/bad to say about this brand or for this price?
Old December 16, 2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Donaldjr1969

for close-in HD, any buckshot brand would be sufficient. Unless you live in a mansion with a 50yd hallway, pellet spread will not be a big concern. At longer distances, I would load slugs. For hunting, I would not go with a low recoil round.

What is your intended purposes for the buckshot, Petey?
Old December 16, 2010, 10:05 AM   #7
peteyb

I am going to be using the low recoil Rio Royal for primarily home defense, and some target shooting.

I was planning on getting the Nobel Sport 12 pellet 00 so I have something with a little more "umph" to shoot at the range, and also just to have 12 pellet buck as well as 9 pellet, just in case of a situation where I might need the extra pellets/power
Old December 16, 2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Donaldjr1969

Petey, you would be well served by any low recoil 00buck load, either 9 or 8 pellets, for home defense. You figure that a single 00 pellet is about the same weight as a single 32acp bullet. Now for another example, a Corbon 32acp JHP round takes a 60g bullet and sends it 1050fps out of the muzzle for about 145ft-lbs. A typical low recoil 00buck load sends 8 or 9 such projectiles down the barrel 100fps faster. So despite the lower powder charge, a BG is still going to get hit with over 1000ft-lbs of energy at distances from one end of a typical hallway to the other. And with the faster follow-up of low recoil rounds, you can get that additional shot fired much faster. So really, for typical indoor HD, I personally see nothing gained by going to a full power or magnum buckshot load.

Now for outdoors or for hunting as I mentioned above, then yes I would choose a full power 2-3/4" or even a 3" buckshot load. But if you are in one of those situations where you may need the extra oomph and do not select to use slugs, I would go with a 3" 000buck load. Both the 2-3/4" 12pellet 00buck and the 10pellet 3" 000buck loads are both going to send close to 700g of lead downrange and if I recall, the recoil will be pretty close between the two shells.
Old December 17, 2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Quote:
I was planning on getting the Nobel Sport 12 pellet 00 so I have something with a little more "umph" to shoot at the range, and also just to have 12 pellet buck as well as 9 pellet, just in case of a situation where I might need the extra pellets/power
Law enforcement has long since discovered that the low recoil 00 buck tactical loads work just fine on the street. The tighter patterns and QUICKER followup shots more than make up for the less velocity. At closer spitting distance HD ranges, I'd make the case for faster follow up shots being more important than "extra Umph" when Bubba and his friends pay you a visit.

NOTE: Plated shot, such as that in Fed. Tac., increases penetration over lead buckshot like Hornady TAP.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:57 PM   #10
bamaranger

low recoil

My agency bought a quantity of low recoil, W-W 9 pellet 00 buck. I'd say the felt recoil is reduced appx 25 %. Feels much like a 1-1/8 field load. Patterns seem to a BIT tighter in some guns. We shoot the stuff in quals back to 25 yds, from 18 and 20" Rem 870 w/ rifle sights.
Old December 17, 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
DG45

I'm sure this will be seen as a stupid question by some and maybe it is, but who in the world needs to buy buckshot by the gross; a hunting club co-op or something? I understand that an individual shooter can do a lot of shooting with small shot; trap; clays, and even in some kinds of hunting, particularly dove; but what does an individual use a lot of buckshot for? Around here there are strict limits on any wild game you'd hunt with buckshot; deer; bear, etc. and luckily, I don't get that many HD opportunities either. In my life I've probably fired at least twenty #7 1/2 or #8 shotshells and probably at least four or five #2, #4 or #5 shotshells for every buckshot round I've ever fired. A box of Remington Express 00 Buck was always good for a year for me, and most of those wound up being fired at paper targets or fenceposts in the off-season. What do you folks who buy it by the gross do with it? Your shotgun must be a lot more fun to target shoot when loaded with buckshot than mine is.
Old December 20, 2010, 10:33 AM   #12
myshoulderissore

Quote:
I'm sure this will be seen as a stupid question by some and maybe it is, but who in the world needs to buy buckshot by the gross; a hunting club co-op or something? I understand that an individual shooter can do a lot of shooting with small shot; trap; clays, and even in some kinds of hunting, particularly dove; but what does an individual use a lot of buckshot for? Around here there are strict limits on any wild game you'd hunt with buckshot; deer; bear, etc. and luckily, I don't get that many HD opportunities either. In my life I've probably fired at least twenty #7 1/2 or #8 shotshells and probably at least four or five #2, #4 or #5 shotshells for every buckshot round I've ever fired. A box of Remington Express 00 Buck was always good for a year for me, and most of those wound up being fired at paper targets or fenceposts in the off-season. What do you folks who buy it by the gross do with it? Your shotgun must be a lot more fun to target shoot when loaded with buckshot than mine is.
I like to blow up produce and old hard drives. I shoot WAY more slugs and 00 than birdshot. It all depends on what you use your shotgun for. Clay shooters and duck hunters probably shoot a lot more birdshot than me.