The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
plom

Any of you relying on BP guns in the wild?

As said does any of you rely on black powder guns while hiking in the woods? If yes how do you pack it and which load do you guys use?
Old June 15, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Hawg

I've carried a 58 Remington in the woods many times. Used to go snake hunting on the river with one when I was a kid. Killed a ton of water mocassins and more than a few timber rattlers with it. Loaded full up with bp and round ball.
Old June 15, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
MJN77

I am a Civil War/Old West buff. I have hiked the mountain where I live with a .36 51 navy and a confederate sharps carbine or enfield muskatoon many times. We have black bears and coyotes here too. Like Hawg said, fill with powder and ball and leave the house.
Old June 15, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Black powder would not be my first choice since modern cartridge guns are less prone to failure in wet climate. Still, given the choice of my Ruger Old Army and an Enfield Musketoon over a knife and bow/arrow, I'd take the Ruger and Enfield.
Old June 15, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
robhof

robhof

I've used my ROA as a back up gun during B/p season here in Ky. It's legal as a b/p weapon here, and I've been caught in a few storms with it and it still shot fine.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:22 PM   #6
MJN77

When hunting I wear my 51navies or Remingtons in military flap holsters. I have worn them in downpours and never had a misfire yet.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:37 PM   #7
SigP6Carry

I may go against the popular opinion on this post: but... I would never trust a C&B revolver where I could carry a cartridge piece. I know that a C&B piece isn't inherently unreliable... but if you can: a more reliable gun is better. Carrying an SAA or converted revolver loaded with blackpowder won't be any less reliable than a modern smokeless.

If out in the wild: I'd prefer something that'll work EVERYTIME ANYTIME! Meaning a cartridge gun.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8
MJN77

If ya know what you're doin and take care to do it right, a percussion revolver is as reliable as any cartridge gun. It just takes experience.
Old June 16, 2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
If ya know what you're doin and take care to do it right, a percussion revolver is as reliable as any cartridge gun. It just takes experience.
Right on bro.
Old June 16, 2010, 04:42 AM   #10
Bill Akins

When I still had it, I took my Colt Walker repro into the woods with me. Shot a rabbit with it once and it knocked him about 10 ft away from where he was and almost severed his neck from his head. It had a heavy rifle style charge capacity with that big up to 50 grains per chamber cylinder it had. The 1847 Colt Walker was the most powerful revolver in the world before the .357 came out in 1935.
I still load up my 1860 colt repro and take it out in the woods with me sometimes. Haven't shot any game with it yet though.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:02 AM   #11
Fiv3

I don't get out into the wilds enough to where a man NEEDS a firearm to protect himself from creatures sporting teeth and claws, nor do I regularly hunt. My firearm "needs" out in the woods are for just-in-case.

I'm experienced enough that should the SHTF, a gun is not going to make or break me (probably). However, there is something wholesome about packing around a piece of technology that put food on the table and men in holes for generations. I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with only a BP revolver on me while I take my walks...walks, I might add squarely in cougar and two-legged country.

Another added benefit that I can see to BP is that it isn't just an offensive/defensive lethal weapon, but that it can also be used as a noise maker to scare a critter you would rather not tangle with (lots of smoke, fire, and man-made smells coming out of shot). Load it up with plenty of powder and no ball and you have a nice report and flash beacon should you get turned around in the dark

That said, if I'm just going for a short walk, a light polymer pistol using smokeless is just much easier to pack. If I'm going out in the woods/woods, I don't think I would mind carrying my '58 Remington. If I'm making an event out of the hike, the added weight and care needed for the gun doesn't bother me too much.