The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1
parlorshark

Bakial o/u 12g problem

I have a Bakial o/u 12 gauge , with a single selective trigger that I use for sporting clays and small game . I've shot thousands of rounds through it and it has always been reliable untill last weekend . We were shooting some clays and a friend who uses a pump was inquireing why I prefered a double and wanted to try mine . When he shot he steped back like he had been kicked by a mule . Somehow he had shot both barrels at the same time . With a single trigger this is'nt supposed to happen . I run another 50 shells through it that day and it never happened again . When I got home I cleaned it and nothing seemed to be worn or dirtier than it normaly would be after a day of shooting . Has anyone else experienced this ? Is it a one time fluke ? What caused it ? How do I keep it from happining again?
Old November 29, 2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Rich636

Someone who has more experience can give you a better explanation but I've seen a thread like this before on here. It seemed the cause was that under the recoil the trigger actually reset and got pulled again in the blink of an eye. To the shooter it seemed like both barrels had gone off with one pull. When an effort was made to pull the trigger, and keep it pulled back, it didn't double fire. At least that was the case in one thread.
Old November 29, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3
K80Geoff

He did not double the gun, IE both barrels did not fire simultaneously. What happened is that he "Fan Fired" or fired one barrel immediately after the first. It appears as if both barrels went off at the same time but actually they did not. Doubles with single triggers will not "Double" as the mechanism will block both hammers from falling at the same time.

I can "Fan fire" my K80 easily, and I have seen it happen often.

Persons not familiar with doubles and who shoot with american made repeaters with stiff triggers often fan fire doubles the first time they shoot them.

I have had friends, who are experienced shooters, fan fire my gun. The German made triggers are crisp and can switch barrels in nano seconds. Two friends who shot Ruger O/U's did this the first time they fired my gun. I attribute this to the "Legal" trigger pulls of factory rugers that require more force to go. Muscle memory, not a gun malfunction, was the cause.

A true double is not fun, this happened to a buddy once. I was behind him at the time and he almost knocked me over. He was hurting and seeing stars after that happened. The gun was a old double trigger gun and was just worn out.

I always warn shooters using my gun for the first time not to pull the trigger too hard.
Old November 29, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
9mmMike

I have enountered this "problem" with my M1A. I think we called it bump-firing. I was not used to releasing the trigger as I primarily shot Glock pistols prior to my M1A and I had always pulled the trigger and then released just enough for reset.
It scared the crap outta me as I thought I'd gone full auto!
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old November 29, 2005, 02:34 PM   #5
BigG

I agree with K80. The same effect is seen when the guys fire their semi auto rifles "full auto" by holding forward with their front hand and massaging the trigger with the firing hand the recoil combined with the forward pull fires the gun. My M1A went off a few times double and I could tell it was because of that phenomenon.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC